My wife and I stayed at the Essex in late 2010 while visiting from Philadelphia, and we were impressed with the resort overall and felt it was worth the price paid (which is not always true at B&Bs and some resorts).
The room itself had some nice touches, including one of the softest, most comfortable beds I've ever slept in, as well as small details such as the Kuerig one-cup coffee maker with organic coffee in each room. The room itself could've used some minor cosmetic touches, but nothing took away from the comfort and relaxation of the room, in my opinion. However, the one disappointment was the fireplace in the room. Expecting a gas log fireplace, we instead got a room with an electric "fireplace" that you would set for 30 min. much like a heat lamp in bathrooms, which would hum while running then shut off. The fireplace did not generate any heat, and we were unable to see or feel it from the bed. Granted, the fireplace was only an extra $20 per night, but it wasn't worth it.
The staff was immensely helpful, nice, and courteous, and we ate at both restaurants on site, and were very impressed. Having lived in NYC and eaten at several top-notch exclusive restaurants, we were very happy with all the meals we ate (breakfast and dinner), which often included local items and organic vegetables.
We also visited the spa, which was relaxing and enjoyable. It offers very nice facilities (similar to a high-end country club), which include an indoor pool, steam room with aromatherapy, sauna, an outdoor hot tub (which was very relaxing in 20 degree weather with the snow coming down), and a variety of treatments available. Even if you're on a budget, consider getting a 25 minute massage and use the spa's other facilities afterward. It was money well spent.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on 18 acres between the vistas of the Green Mountains and the splendor of Lake Champlain, The Essex is Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa. The Essex is a true destination, offering a full-service Spa and Fitness Center, cooking classes in the J.K. Adams and Chef's Kitchens of Cook Academy, and our two award-winning restaurants-- all of which perfectly complement our classic accommodations.The Essex is the premier choice for your next group event and is the perfect Vermont wedding destination for dozens of happy couples tying the knot each year. From our own Vermont Tennis Vacations to our wine list, ranked among the best in the world, The Essex offers you an experience unlike any other resort in New England. ...a true Recipe for Relaxation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, HotelsClick and Hotel.de so you can book your The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Essex, Vermont`s Culinary Resort And Spa
- The Essex, Vermont`s Culinary Hotel Essex
- Essex Vermonts Culinary Junction
- Essex Vermonts Culinary Hotel
- Inn Essex
- The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa