“A great wedding/vacation”

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“A great wedding/vacation”
Reviewed June 2, 2010

This was the site we chose for our destination wedding. Some family lived nearby but most traveled from far away to stay here for the weekend and attend the reception there. All raved about the hotel, the food, the activities and the great wedding staff on site. Many of our guests also took the initiative and enjoyed the spa treatments and loved it. I could not have been happier with the food and the service. The wedding coordinators and staff were outstanding. The spa amenities were excellent and the pool is very big and capable of use for laps or swimming with the kids, and has a very nice outdoor jacuzzi. The room was comfortable, not too big or too small, and very bright and clean. Overall we were very happy with the choice of location for the wedding and we're looking forward to going back for a full week.

3 Thank mfebs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Bennington, Vermont
Reviewed June 2, 2010

We booked through a webiste where you buy room for really cheap but you can"t specify the type of bed. I called up the Essex and explained it was our anniversary and could we at least have a queen size bed. Upon checking in we discovered they had given us a king size bed. The room was very large and beautifully decorated. We also ate at Butler's and had a wonderful meal with great service. We went on a Saturday night and there was live music which was an acoustic guitar player which just added to our meal. I can't say enough good things about the Essex and hope to stay there for our anniversary next year!!

2 Thank Mairead82
Granby, Connecticut
Reviewed May 15, 2010

This was our second stay at The Essex and was every bit as enjoyable as the last. The staff is very friendly and helpful, the rooms were very bright and clean. I did wish the bed was a little more comfortable. However, the room had two queen beds, so we switched beds the second night and that was much better. The food is wonderful. Everything was hot, delicious and beautifully served. The waitstaff was very helpful in recommending dishes. This was the first time I used the Spa and it was a wonderful and relaxing experience. Looking forward to our next stay.

3 Thank elbenn
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 12, 2010

My girlfriend (now my fiance) and I are from New York CIty and we wanted to get away from the city for a weekend. She did not know but I planned to propose to her at The Essex Resort and Spa. This was going to be our first time in Vermont but for some reason looking at their website I knew that this was the place where I wanted to propose. I am (and she definitely is as well) glad that this was the place that I chose to propose. Everything about the Essex is wonderful. I am from New York City and I've been to many hotels but from the moment we checked-in to the Essex I knew that there was something different about it. Everyone was genuinely warm and caring. It didn't feel rehearsed or fake like other hotels. The staff at the Essex genuinely wanted to make sure we had a great stay. The rooms were spacious and beautiful. We stayed in a mini-suite with the fireplace and the hot tub whch made the stay even better. The Resort grounds were great. There were activities to keep us both busy. We booked a spa appointment which was wonderful. We also worked out in their gym which was a good size for the guests at the resort. Their gym also had better cardio equipment than the gyms I work out in Manhattan. We did some shopping and got great deals at the outlets nearby. The food at Essex was amazing. From breakfast to dinner, I understand why they are considered a culinary resort and spa. My fiance and I still talk about the food. There are so many great things to say about this resort. You leave knowing that you had a great stay, knowing that the staff really cared about you and realizing that you will miss the place when you are gone. We miss it now and are looking forward to going back.

Thanks Essex,
Loyan

2 Thank LoyanM
sterling
Reviewed May 8, 2010

My stay was with a meetup group and I loved it! The pool, workout room and hottub are great ammenities. Would definately go back.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank crystaleye101
Palmer, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 8, 2010

I visited the Essex Hotel with a travel group of 32 friends, and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Each room is decorated differently from the next, providing a unique lodging experience that we enjoyed sharing with each other.. The food was excellent, and they offered a variety of things to do including 2 tours of the kitchens and facilities, a "Beer 101" class, a "Wine Component Tasting" (not to be confused with a Wine Tasting), and several options provided by the on site Spa facilities. There were other activities available that I did not take part in as well. We enjoyed Zip Lining, and a Geo-Cache at "Northern Lights" which is on the hotel grounds, as well as the pool and outdoor hot tub. Our weekend stay ended all too soon but was filled with things to do. I felt that the staff did everything in their power to see that we were well pampered. For me, the weekend was a wonderful experience; I'll go back again for sure!

• Stayed May 2010
1 Thank ClanrossG
Reviewed May 8, 2010

I'm already planning my next visit at the Essex Inn !! From the moment I arrived I felt warmly welcomed. I was so pleased to find a beautiful, clean, and quintessential New England inn complete with lovely Ethan Allen coverlets. Nice touch! The atmosphere in the Butler Tavern was enchanting. The service was attentive and the seafood boullabaise was scrumptious!

The outdoor hot tub was a pleasant surprise and the indoor pool was spectacular. The fitness center had the latest equipment including a TV screen built right into the treadmill. I enjoyed biking and walking the paths around the compound as well at the trail next to the golf course. I loved the tour Peter gave of the kitchens. I'm in the hospitality/restaurant business and am always interested to see the "back of the house". Everyone was professional, the inn is fastidiously maintained, and the proximity to the outlets and Burlington will make the Essex Inn & Spa an absolute favorite in my book! I traveled with a group but I met other people who found a great deal on Travelzoo. It was a great deal any which way you look at it!

• Stayed May 2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essex
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Hilton Burlington
Hilton Burlington
#5 of 8 in Burlington
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington

Been to The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!