“Fabulous Staff”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Warwick, Rhode Island
“Fabulous Staff”
Reviewed February 25, 2010

Our stay at The Essex was enhanced by the wonderfully attentive staff. Everyone we encountered was polite and went out of their way to offer help. Our biggest disappointment of the stay was the location of the pool and spa. We looked forward to traveling to northern Vermont and enjoying the snow. We were also planning to enjoy the pool as a way to relax and unwind. Unfortunately the pool and spa facility was in a separate building. There was changing rooms and locker facilities but I did not want to change, swim and then change again to go outside to return to my room. We had been to the Essex before the Spa and pool were built and knew that the buildings were connected through underground tunnels. We expected the same of the pool. I would have planned my trip differently had I know of the layout.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vermonter05655

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
new york
Reviewed February 24, 2010

Stayed at the Essex Resort and spa last weekend. LOVED IT! It was just what I was looking for - quiet, cozy, comfortable. The hotel room was clean and spacious. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. The Restaurant was out of this world - we ate there almost every day - food was fresh and came from local farmers market and healthy choices available. All day, they had free hot chocolate, tea, coffee, apple cider, cookies etc. On site, was "Northern Lights" where you can do snow tubing, zip lining and an obstacle course. Reasonably priced. The only thing I found frustrating was the long drive from NY (about 5 1/2-6 hours) and we drove another 40 mins to Smugglers Notch ski resort. I absolutely enjoyed my stay and would recommend this hotel to anyone. They also had cooking classes on site however we didn't sign up - next time!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Burlington, VT
Reviewed February 21, 2010

If you are looking for a spa with good facilities, but poor service, rude staff and mediocre treatments, the Essex Spa is the place to go. Recently, my girlfriend and I decided to celebrate a belated Valentine's Day together by going for a couples massage (80 minute) and soak (30 minute) which is priced at $320. This is a little steep, but we have been to many spas, and usually if the price is this high, there is some reason for it. We were expecting something pretty special to say in the least, we were both dissappointed.

Our experience started with us arriving at the spa to three receptionists with heads down, speaking on the phone, not even a wave or a smile or acknowlodegement of our presence until they were finished (which would have been acceptable if the calls were short and business related). When we were finally recognized as arriving, we were given poor instructions on the change rooms (which were very, very nice; steam room, sauna, well appointed). The start of the treatment was alright, but nothing to take note of. The couples soak was the inital part of the treatment (which is only a $20 increase from a couples massage) which was just a soak in a large tub, no bubbles, no scents, no rose petals, nothing, just a tub of water. Pleasant, but nothing special. This would have been nice if we were not interupted 10 minutes early to start our massage. At the beginning of a massage, you are normally asked what type of massage you would like, any issues, etc...this was not the case, they simply started massaging. Not a big deal, but for the price, you expect more. The massage was also 5 minutes short. Massage was alright, but not what would be expected of such a high priced spa.

After the treatment, we were given time to relax in the lounge, which was nice, where we found a pamphlet for spa tretments. The pamphlet suggested arriving at least 30 minutes prior to treatment in order to utilize the steam room, sauna, etc...we were not told this when booking. This is a poor reflection of the staff promoting the value of the spa. Though we had a later engagement, we were able to utilize the steam room sauna (in the men's area ok, in the women's...soiled).

At our departure, we were told an automatic 19% gratuity was added "for our convenience". Since our treatment was 15 minutes short (10 on the soak, 5 on the massage) and that the receptionist staff was so cold, we felt absolutely no need to leave any sort of gratuity. Gratuity for good service and service above and beyond that described is warranted at such a high rate, but for service lacking and a mediocre poor experience, no. For this we were hassled and told that staff is paid based on gratuities. A $320 service and staff is paid on gratuities? Where did all that money go? Unaccpetable. We were told to expect a call from the manager because not leaving gratuity, even for appalling service is unheard of...not in the real world.

Would I recommend this spa? If you are given a gift card, or very large discount (50%) yes. Otherwise, find another in Vermont, there are many good ones. If this was the only instate spa, I would suggest New York.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Essexrecipe, Spa Manager at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 25, 2010
Thank you for submitting your review. I'm dismayed you and your girlfriend didn’t enjoy the exceptional experience at Spa at The Essex that virtually all of our guests rave about. I earnestly apologize and look forward to your response to the message I left on your answering machine. Allow me to respond to your TripAdvisor posting:
1. Spa at The Essex prices tend to be competitive with, or somewhat less, than rates at other full-service resort spas in Vermont.
2. Because The Essex Resort & Spa ran very high occupancy in February, Spa at The Essex WAS extremely busy on the day you and your girlfriend visited. This may explain why front desk personnel were on the phone when you arrived. It doesn’t, however, excuse why we didn’t immediately acknowledge you and seek your understanding while we finished our phone calls. In the wake of that busy weekend we have already put in place new strategies/protocols for maintaining our exceptional level of customer service even during the busiest of times.
3. I’m delighted you liked our beautiful facilities, which opened only seven months ago.

4. I would sincerely like to invite you back. We’ll thoroughly discuss our fees, gratuities, your treatment, available facilities.

I look forward to your return phone call and to the opportunity to turn you and your girlfriend in to fans of Spa at The Essex!

Juliana Baker
Spa Manager
The Essex, Vermont’s Culinary Resort & Spa
boston
Reviewed January 26, 2010

What an amazing place we discovered at The Inn at Essex! As a travel writer, I had heard about this hidden gem but wanted to experience firsthand this wonderful resort. From the exceptional food to the first class service, we had a wonderful experience and look forward to returning again soon. Here's a link to my review:

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Vermont
Reviewed January 11, 2010

The first thing I noticed about our room was it was clean and it smelled clean not perfumed.
I am very sensitive to smells and often have to put hotel soap in a drawer to keep it from bothering me, the soap was of a good quality and not overly scented.
The people were all friendly and helpful. We enjoyed using the facilities the work out room, pool, and hot tub. One day we enjoyed the spa which is nice, the body workers were very professional. We also enjoyed the spa lunch which was excellent.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sevod
Hamilton
Reviewed January 6, 2010

Husband and I stayed here from Dec. 30 - Jan. 2/10. Nice hotel, room was nice and clean, had a large king bed - bed was very comfy - view was just OK, could kind of see the back area but was partly blocked by the other building. Check in was quick and person at front desk was nice and friendly. We ate at the tavern twice - first time we had nachos which were just OK and a burger - husband said the burger was huge lots of meat but tasteless. Next time we had buttnut squash soup, this was very runny and had not much taste to it, looked like they were running out so someone watered it down - we also tried the lobster soup which was really nice, tasty and thick. Continenal Breakfast was included and it was OK or you can use the $7 per person towards something "hot" off the menu - everything is over $7 - we were not impressed with the breadfast, had an omelette, just OK and sausage with eggs, sausage was good. I had a great message at the spa - spa is beautiful - I checked out the pool which look really nice and the gym is equipped well with a few treadmills and other machines and lots of free weights. We got a deal through travelzoo which included breakfast and messages - be warned, that the hotel will charge you automatically 19% gratuity when using the coupons for these so called "freebies" - I ended up paying a $22 tip for the one message! I didn't like this idea as I feel I should tip on how well the person performs the service. Same thing went for the free breakfast - 19% tip added. We did venture out to snowboard for two days, ended up going to Bolton Valley - only 20 minute drive from the Essex - lift ticket was $58 per adult - well worth it - lots of runs and the hills were not crowded. Also ventured out for dinner downtown Burlington went to Sweewaters on Church street, we loved it - not expensive; second night we went to Trattoria Delia on Saint Paul street - we were not impressed by this restaurant - expensive for what you get and they try to sell you bottles of expensive wine - they only serve wine and beer. We went down to the taven around 10:30 p.m. for a drink and to ring in New Years - they had nothing goin on - no entertainment no hats, nothing - very boring....you would think they would try for a little entertainment at least. Overall, we had a nice stay but probably will not return found the food at the Essex not great and a little on the expensive side for a tavern, service was slow - we could see our drinks sitting on the bar waiting for the waitress to bring them to us for 10-15 minutes at a time. Other con was you could hear very thing beside you - people in the next room we could them talking, TV on and even when they went to the washroom. There really is nothing the in the town of Essex so best bet is to drive into Burlington for the action. Next time we will stay closer to town.

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
JGVT, Food & Beverage Director at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 18, 2010
Dear Ms. Lichty,

I saw your review on Trip Advisor and wanted to take a moment to address some of your concerns regarding your stay. We value all feedback as it gives us the opportunity to improve our operations, the offerings to our guest, and consistently reinforce the importance of guest service to our staff.

I was delighted to see that you enjoyed our new spa and your treatment there. We have worked hard to create an experience unlike any other in Northern Vermont and it is rewarding to hear that we met your expectations. I’m also glad that you enjoyed your room and that your experience at the front desk was efficient and friendly.

First and foremost, I'd like to apologize for not meeting your expectations regarding our food quality during your stay. As Vermont's Culinary Resort, we strive to make our offerings appeal to a broad audience, and constantly look to source the finest ingredients available to provide memorable experiences for our guest. In your case, it appears that we may have fell short. I have passed on your comments to Chef Coolidge, our executive chef, and he will be taking a hard look at some of these items to assure a quality experience (specifically the nachos...we're considering adding duck confit to add culinary variety). I was surprised to hear your comments regarding our hamburger, as we use Vermont Highland Beef which is a free range, grass-fed, Scottish Highland cattle that's known for it's excellent flavor. I will check with our purveyor to see if they have somehow changed the mixture of fat to beef which can have a very high flavor component.

In regards to New Years Eve, again, I apologize. We did have live music scheduled for the evening from 9 to midnight, but unfortunately our entertainment had a last minute situation that made it so we were unable to reschedule anything with such short notice. We did have hats and noise makers available throughout our bar that evening, but perhaps they were blocked from your view from the people sitting at the bar and the high top tables. I'm sorry you didn't receive any during the celebration. I would also appreciate any details you would be willing to share on your server. Specifically name or description. I take service very seriously and any such neglect is unacceptable...I wish to work with this individual more closely and ensure that he or she is more thorough on their service standards.

Your experience was certainly the exception, not the rule. We pride ourselves on guest satisfaction scores that approach 100% consistently. To that end, I am confident that on a return stay, you would have a better experience that is more typical of our standards. I would be happy to personally set this up for you and strongly encourage you to contact me personally so I can ensure your next trip will be one that exceeds your expectations in all areas. Please contact me directly when you would like to come back, or if you have any additional comments or concerns.

Best Regards,

Chris Benjamin
Director of Food & Beverage
The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort and Spa
Avon, CT
Reviewed December 18, 2009

My wife, 17 year old daughter and I stayed at The Essex during a visit to the University of Vermont. Our room was spacious and beautifully appointed, with more than enough room for the three of us. Everything worked perfectly, including wireless internet connection, not always a given. I watched the World Series from the comfortable period couch. The complimentary toiletries in the bathroom were generous and high end. Remarkably after a morning shower, the mirror in the bathroom did not fog up (I can't remember the last time any hotel or motel had taken such care to sweat the details). We only ate breakfast on this trip to The Essex, and it was comforting and what you would expect of a New England breakfast. On a previous stay, I ate dinner in the Inn's warm and inviting dining room; food and service were consistent with what you would expect from a place that includes Culinary Resort in its name. Burlington is a wonderful town, but it is a bit bustling at certain times of the year. The Essex provides an alternative to downtown lodging that is not too near, yet not too far, but just right...in all regards.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essex
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Hilton Burlington
Hilton Burlington
#5 of 8 in Burlington
Courtyard Burlington Harbor

Been to The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!