1,583 results
All reviewscooking classculinary resortculinary instituteoutlet malltavern restaurantmain buildingthe outdoor hot tubsteam roomtennis courtsgrounds are lovelyroom was largefitness centerburlington areamanor buildingfire pitnew englandlake champlain
Reviewed November 27, 2017

My stay at The Essex was extremely disappointing. Housekeeping woke me early 3 times on the day I was departing. With a checkout time of 11, I would not expect them to be knocking on my door early on a Sunday morning. Also, the food was quite ordinary and did not meet the standards of excellence the resort claims. I did find the Spa experience to be wonderful, however highly priced. I stayed for 2 nights in a room that was clean and comfortable. I live in VT and had high expectations for this resort, but would NOT book an event here. There was nothing special or exciting about the service and food offered at either the event or in the restaurant.

• Stayed: November 2017, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Tracy Jean C
Reviewed November 24, 2017 via mobile

No longer affiliated with the culinary institute, but food is still quite special. We ate at the spacious bar in the tavern and it got quite busy fast. Bartenders were awesome. Laura took wonderful care of us. Check for the daily specials (ie., $2 tacos). We discovered that a number of locals pick the day based on the special they want. Very friendly atmosphere. Prices are higher than other local pubs, but well worth a visit.

Stayed: November 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2017 via mobile

Check in was fast and friendly. Room was exquisite. Dinner at the Junction was outstanding. Great pool and gym. Hotel is a Culinary resort and they have cooking classes you can sign up for. Spa services are available. I can not wait to visit again.

Stayed: November 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 17, 2017

Cozy accomodations with plenty of considerably staffed, professional amenities for families; spatious, remarkably afforadable and modestly oppulent. We enjoyed a local farm platter and local cider at the Tavern in our brief stay and observed cooking courses.

Room Tip: I left a small tip for the cleaning staff and was rewarded with them finding and shipping clothing that was left in the room.
  • Stayed: November 2017, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed November 12, 2017 via mobile

I took my husband here for his birthday to take a cooking class and spend the night. Overall,we were actually pretty shocked by how rude many of the staff were. While it was a nice enough facility, and the cooking class was fun, I would not go back.
I booked a room with a fireplace and whirlpool tub about 3 months in advance. When we arrived we were checked into the hotel by a young woman who seemed VERY bored and was pretty rude. We got to our room and it had neither a fireplace or a whirlpool tub. I went back to ask about it. The same girl shrugged and said “that’s subject to availability.” Again, sort of bored and annoyed that I was talking to her and not at all apologetic. It felt like dealing with an airline staff member, rather than a hotel. We did a cooking class, which was good, although there were really too many people (8 participants with room for max 6). We both had fun and learned some stuff even though there was a lot of sitting around. Our room was in the first floor and it was very loud, but clean and nice enough.
Finally, for breakfast the next day, the restaurant had a 45 minute wait so we sat at the bar. We waited 30 minutes for our food, and in the meantime, we noticed that multiple tables sat dirty with dishes for 30-40 minutes.
It’s an inexpensive option if you don’t want to spend $500-1000 a night for a spa, but you get what you pay for, and the service and efficiency was worse than a Best Western. I would not recommend it to anyone.

Stayed: November 2017, traveled as a couple