“Congenial way to spend an evening” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Essex
GreenLeadersSilver level
Buffalo, New York
“Congenial way to spend an evening”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014

A close friend and I recently completed a two day getaway to the Essex.The front desk staff was gracious, welcoming, and well informed. Our room was pleasant and clean. We spent one day at the Spa, which was well appointed with a calm and restorative atmosphere. We had dinner at their premier restaurant the first night and had the place to ourselves. We had the chefs menu and found one course to be excellent, the others were good, but not outstanding.We took a class from the Culinary Institute the next evening and really enjoyed it. I learned nothing new in terms of technique, but the recipes were delicious and the evening was enjoyable. We spent an afternoon in lovely downtown Burlington- just a short ten minute drive away. I would recommend this facility.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear anitabee,

Thank you for visiting and having a great time with us!

Director of Resort Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

We took a short vacation in Vermont and staid at The Essex. Very nice room and very nice and attentive personnel.

We also enjoyed breakfast and dinner at both of their restaurant and the food was good to very good.

This place must be very interesting in the summer with all the amenities available. (Indoor and outdoor Pool, Jacuzzi, tennis court...)

Room Tip: People need to know that some of the room does not offer windows that open, we did have a Mini Suite...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear pdjeans,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your positive experiences with others.

Several of our rooms facing the front of the Main Inn were recently fitted with fixed windows. However, every one of our 120 rooms is equipped with individually controlled heat and air conditioning. We certainly can accommodate requests for rooms without these fixed windows.

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

We stayed here in February because we were visiting an ill family member and we don't live in the area. When we approached the hotel, there were about 7 police cars; this was a bit alarming, but we were assured that it was a simple "domestic issue" that was being resolved with the assistance of Law Enforcement. The front desk staff were wonderful as were the housekeeping staff! However, the service in the restaurant was horrendous; the food is amazing, but it took 20 minutes to get coffee in the morning and the restaurant was empty. Our dinner took forever to get to us and granted, they were busy, but no explanation was offered when our food was cold when it got to us. Our water glasses remained empty for most of our time in the restaurant at dinner and breakfast. When we complained to the manager of the restaurant, she was very nice, but nothing changed the next day. We were staying on a package (5 nights and free breakfast), but we opted out of the breakfast for the last 2 days because we were tipping more than the service warranted and we could get cheaper food, with better service, elsewhere. The food is amazing, but given that the service wasn't so good, it was disappointing. Also, I got very ill on our last day there and was confined to our room. Housekeeping was FABULOUS and helped us when I didn't make it to the bathroom - the manager of housekeeping came to the room with all of his supplies, a very upbeat/positive attitude and tried to help me feel better. He took care of the problem with a smile! Poor guy! Overall, I don't feel that the room was worth the price especially since we weren't in it very much (with the exception of the last day). You can stay at another hotel in the area, pay less and get great service at a decent restaurant.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear bovey70,

Thank you for staying with us. Please accept my apologies for the service related issues you experienced in our restaurant. I have shared your comments with the Food & Beverage leadership team so they may investigate and use this as a training opportunity.
I can understand your anxiety as you arrived to see members of our police department on our grounds. The safety and security of our guests is of paramount importance to us and their presence was a testament to that fact. It is our hope that each guests treats both their travel partners and others with respect and care. However, this is not always the case and we have zero tolerance for behavior that is outside of the law or may endanger anyone on property. Therefore, we alerted the local, well trained experts to assist in ensuring everyone was safe and free from harm or the perception of danger.
I have also passed your praise of the efforts by our Housekeeping team onto them. They are our unseen and often unsung heroes. They will most certainly appreciate hearing how much their efforts meant to you.

Bedford, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

We couldn't have found a more perfect facility in Vermont to have our Conference. The rooms were great, I slept better than in my own bed at home in the very comfy bed! Meals were just right and every plate looked fantastic! A swim in the pool to start the day, a trip to the spa the day before the conference began, and even a few minutes in the hot tub before getting ready for our Gala Banquet made my stay so enjoyable and relaxing! Thank you Essex Resort & Spa!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Brenda B
Dear Brenda B,

You are so very welcome....but I must thank you all for giving us the opportunity to host your event. We all had a great time with every attendee. So many of our associates have spoken to me and complimented YOU all.

Thank you again for your support of the Essex Resort & Spa. We hope to see you all again soon,

Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

This was a nice place to get away for a couple of days. It is located about 25 minutes from Burlington. Like pretty much everyone else here, I had a special deal (Groupon). I would visit again if I had the same Groupon deal. The room and bathroom was spacious. I loved the coffee, tea, and cookies that were offered in the lobby. I wish the lobby at a comfy space in front of the fireplace to read and relax. They also had a bonfire in the evening with smores. Loved that...just would suggest the place clear the path of snow and make it more lit. The menus in the two restaurants seemed similar for breakfast at least. The place was also very accommodating for dogs.

We took a cooking class - it was definitely fun and interactive and something different to do. The class included a sit down meal and a glass of wine. We were scheduled to go 3 hours and it went a little over 2 hours.

The spa facilities were top notch- a nice hot tub, steam room, showers, and sauna. Very relaxing atmosphere.

Room Tip: rooms are all different paint colors.
Dear bib28,

Thank you for staying with us and for having such a great time!

Wilton, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014

We found this hotel through Groupon and stayed for two nights. The front desk folks were very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable, as were the bellmen. My boyfriend was recovering from knee surgery and they were very accomodating and gave us a handicapped room next to the elevator. The room was very quiet even though we were right near the elevator.

We were a little early for check in, so they suggested that we have a late lunch at their restaurant, Amuse. We were there 45 minutes before they closed and when we arrived, there was no one to seat us. We (and another couple) waited and I finally went back to the front desk and they were able to find a server to seat us. Our meals were very good, we just felt rushed and could almost feel the "eye rolls" from the employees because we were there so late for lunch.

The Spa (though we didn't take full advantage) looked great - the pool and outdoor hot tub were very nice.

In retrospect, we should have taken a cooking class since that is what they are known for. Otherwise, (unless you are there to ski) there ain't a whole lot to do. They are next door to an outlet mall, but it is very small (though the Under Armour store was great). There is a movie theater there as well.

The drive to Burlington is quick and easy and there are a ton of restaurants and stores around UVM, so we found things to do there. We also did the requisit trip to Ben&Jerry's which is about a 20 minute drive.

The room itself was very clean with a king sized bed, comfy pillows, a small desk, a couple of chairs and a flat screen tv. It also had a small Kuerig with coffee and tea selections. The bathroom was very large (but I don't know if that's always the case since we had a handicapped room.) Also, I left my lap top charger in the room and when I called they had it and sent it out to me immediately.

Something that bugged me was the "nickle and diming" on our final bill. There was a 92 cent per day charge that was some Vermont hotel tax along with a use of spa charge per day which we didn't use and a couple of others that added up to an extra $50. I don't know why that a lot of that wasn't simply folded into the overall room charge - because that kind of thing really drives me nuts - especially when you think you're getting a deal.

Overall, I don't think that I would return to this hotel. I'm glad we went, but we've stayed at more interesting places in VT, upstate NY and CT.

1 Thank Julia H
Dear Julia H,

It is great to hear that our Front Desk Agents and Bellmen were able to provide you with the warm, professional and helpful service we are known for. It is unfortunate that you did not have time to attend one of our Cook Academy classes. These are certainly are most popular activities. However, I want to take a moment to share with you some of the many other exciting offerings for the next time you visit:
Vermont Tennis Vacations
Basketball court
Full service spa & salon
Over-sized Rainbow Direct playground
Hiking trails
Adventure course with zip lines, rock climbing, and more
Hot air ballooning
Bonfire with s’mores
Outdoor pool with waterfall (available in the warmer months)
Double-size outdoor hot tub (year round)

I have also shared your comments regarding the service you received from our Tavern staff with our Director of Culinary Services so she may use this as an opportunity to train the servers on how our actions may be perceived by guests and to ensure we are always putting our best face forward.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014

Each aspect of this weekend away was great! The King room was lovely and the bed was so comfortable. Service was so friendly, except the staff at the Amuse restaurant...we had dinner at Amuse which was very good, but the chicken was a little overcooked and my husband's sirloin was as well. Breakfast at Amuse was AMAZING and I would strongly encourage everyone to partake in this indulgent meal. The outdoor all-season hot tub was terrific and the pool was heated and hit the spot. I would recommend anyone looking for a quiet and romantic weekend away, to try the Essex!

Room Tip: Ensure that the heating system in the room is not too loud or you'll have a hard time sleeping...
2 Thank Sherri R
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear PrincessLeah74,

I am pleased to hear you had such a positive experience with us. It is wonderful to hear when our guests take advantage of all the many activities and dining options. I have shared your comments regarding dinner with Chef Shawn Calley. He will be sure to use this as a training opportunity with his team. Shawn is committed to ensuring each guest has a great meal and will be sure to use this as a way to improve.

Thank you for your support of the Essex Resort & Spa,

Director of Resort Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essex
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Hilton Burlington
Hilton Burlington
#5 of 9 in Burlington
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,413 reviews

Been to The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!