“Nice Family Getaway” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
new jersey
“Nice Family Getaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

The boys had off for Presidents week and we took advantage of a mid week voucher for our stay Mon - Wed. The facility is very nice, clean and the rooms although dated, spacious. The indoor olympic sized pool and outdoor hot tub spa area were a big hit for the kids after a day on the slopes. My husband and I also did a cooking class where we learned how to make creme brulee and managed not to burn the place down. They provide you with your aprons as a memento of the evening and we also met a lovely couple from Massachusetts. We asked the hotel for referral service for sitter services and we couldn't have been more pleased with the sitter that arrived for the evening. This was our first time we left the boys alone while vacationing as they are a bit older now - 10 and 7 and we felt comfortable enough to do so. Ashley arrived on time and she had a host of credentials by being a local teacher for special education students right around the corner. The restaurants were a little pricey but the food quality was good. Overall I would recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Try and stay in the building that is across from the Mansion building as it is closer to the pool...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear caliwithkids,

I am happy to hear we were able to provide you with the family getaway that you deserved. The Essex Resort & Spa is family friendly and has activities for all.

Hopefully you may consider a visit during the warmer months when the boys are off from school. They most assuredly will enjoy the open spaces, outdoor pool and hammocks.

Director of Resort Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

Stayed here with my 16 year old daughter. We did not use the spa other than to soak in the hot tub after snowboarding. It was a very comfortable room and the staff was friendly.

We ate in the more casual of their two restaurants. The food we had was good, but considering this is a "culinary" resort I expected better.

They had trivia night on Wednesday which was about half visitors and half locals. That was fun.

They had kind of screwed up the rate for our room because I had downgraded to a smaller room since my wife had to cancel at the last minute. But they worked it out for me quickly.

There is an outlet mall nearby with a movie theater.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Dear bzurbo,

It is so wonderful to hear you and your daughter had a great weekend away. I definitely recommend visiting the Spa when you return. Our Spa Director, Karen Smegal has worked hard to make ensure it is a world class facility with service to match. While I am pleased to hear you found the food in the Tavern to be good, I would appreciate hearing more details as to why the offerings may have fallen short of your expectations. This information will enable me to share your critiques with Chef Shawn Calley. Shawn is the most dedicated, realistic, creative, innovative and committed chef I have ever met. His number one mission is to ensure each and every guest has a great experience in his restaurants. I have included my email address below. Any additional information will be most appreciated.

nazj@vtculinaryresort.com
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

Stayed a few days at the Essex using one of the many deals floating around from deal sites. The room was a good size and clean. The biggest problem was the heating system. There's an "automated" system that turns off heat to the room when you leave. So it means you return to a very cold room when you come back in the winter. It also makes it really hard to figure out what the thermostat should be set to if you're going to stay in the room for a long period of time. And let me tell you the heating system is *loud*. It alternates between the soft fan noise, the loud fan noise (like a helicopter), and the random high-pitched bell-like sounds even when it's off. We were considering to stay an extra night but poor sleep from this system dissuaded us from that plan.

The spa/pool is nice, and the 30 second walk outside to get to it wasn't as bad as we thought it would be. There are spacious, programmable-code lockers to put your stuff in, as well as very comfortable robes and some slippers. The pool is good for laps. We even tried the outside jacuzzi, which isn't as scary an experience as it might seem.

As part of the package we had, we received half off a cooking class so tried the Bistro cooking one. It was a fun time and picked up some basic cooking tips, as well as recipes (the chef does a fair number of things behind the scenes without explanation that I think add key touches to the meals coming out well). The meal at the end was quite good, although I believe the experience at regular price ($150/person) is not worth it. But it seems there's always a 2-for-1 offer floating around. In terms of other food here, I've separately reviewed the Tavern (bottom line: don't go for dinner).

We had a good time here (except for the sleep issues) and enjoyed just relaxing and taking it easy, going to the spa, etc.

Room Tip: We had a room in the main building. Indoor access to the restaurants and a very short outside walk t...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear vvv3,

I am happy to hear you were able to take advantage of one of our packages enabling you to experience the Essex Resort & Spa. I have shared your comments regarding the heating unit noise in your room with our Director of Facilities so he and his team may investigate the cause and make any needed repairs. Our thermostats are state of the art, programmable motion detection units that help us to be as "green" as possible while maintaining the comfort of our guests year round. You are correct, when a guests vacates their room, the heater will lower the room temperature but upon return, the temperature is restored to the level set by each guest's personal preference.
Our year round, outdoor hot tub is heated to a luxurious 104 degrees and is a favorite of many of our guests and has, as far as I know, never scared any of them away :) I am happy you were not the first.
Cook Academy classes are so popular that we have added sessions and chef instructors to keep pace with the demand. It is unfortunate we were not able to meet your expectations regarding the value and techniques learned. Hopefully you may consider a return visit with as the prices for classes range and I am certain we can find one that is at your comfort level.

Montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend and just LOVED it! Our check in (as well as the check out) was quick and friendly. The lobby offers very good coffee and fresh cookies for guests to enjoy - yum!. Our 3rd floor room was so nice, very clean, well appointed, nice decor, good coffee, roomy, with lots of natural light. The bathroom was very clean, and although the shower pressure was just so, the plush towels made up for it! The bed was UBER comfortable, the sheets and pillows - perfect too! Please reserve at the Chef's table at Amuse, a little pricey, but worth every penny. The meal was fab and plentiful! We can't comment on the spa services, but did visit it. Looked nice. Go to the Essex, and enjoy! We surely did, and will definately return and recommend to friends! A shout out to Janette for taking care of our reservation - she sets the standard!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Peens,

Thank you for these words of praise. It is so rewarding for the entire resort when we receive letters, comment cards and especially read these great reviews. This serves to energize and keep us pumped up and engaged!

Come visit again soon so we can welcome you back!

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

Our room was ready before time, the staff was extremely nice, the pool and hot tub were A1, the room was big, clean, comfortable - the tavern restaurant was frendly, again staff was exteremy polite and helpfull - the price for food was ok for quality.We enjoy our stay and recommand this facility.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear sylvie b,

Thank you so very much for choosing to spend your weekend away with us and I am so happy to hear you had an enjoyable and relaxing time.

Los Angeles, California, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

I've stayed at The Essex a couple of times because of how close it is to family and for how luxurious it is for the price. I recently used their Living Social offer ($99 a night), which really was a steal. The staff was super friendly and accommodating. The rooms are oldish but quaint (Vermont rustic). The pool and spa are the nicest I've seen in a while.

My only two complaints are: the heating in our room (we stayed in mid-March) was pretty awful. Set at 69 it loudly blasted hot air almost non-stop, and then when we got overheated and lowered it to 68, it started to blow cold air until we were freezing. The best temperature setting was to keep it off.

My second complaint is that the hotel rents the pool out for local swimming lessons, so on two different days and times, the pool, was full of lots of young kids learning to swim. This would be fine normally, but The Essex charges a separate $20/day resort fee on top of the room rate. For that price, the only kids in the pool should be guests of the hotel. At the very least, post the lesson schedule for guests so they can avoid the pool during those times.

Complaints aside, I challenge you to do better in the Essex/Burlington area.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear Marc F

Great to hear you were able to take advantage of the great value we offered on Living Social. Thank you for making mention of the service you received from our associates as well as the quality of our world class pool and spa.
I have spoken with our Director of Facilities regarding your mention of the heating unit in your room. While he will check to ensure it is working properly, it is worth mentioning that the heat will run until the desired (set) temperature is reached. Once this occurs the unit will shut off and resume running only to maintain the desired temperature. If set below the current room temperature, the unit will then switch to cooling to reduce the temperature. This may explain why cold air was being supplied when you lowered the thermostat.
We do charge a resort fee that covers many items such as access to the Spa, snow shoes in winter and bikes in summer, lobby coffee & tea with evening cider and cookies, WIFI property wide and more. in addition, we do have outside members of our Spa and this good neighbor approach has been quite popular with our friends in the community. I will certainly pass your concerns along to our Spa Director so she may ensure the schedules are available to all.

Danvers, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

My sister and I just got back from our sister weekend. This resort was great! The service was amazing, the restaurants were delicious and the resort was very clean. We were greated with cookies, milk and coffee. Our room in the manson was huged and connected by a corridor in the basement to the main house. We never had to wear our jackets in March. The spa was a few feet off the main house which featured a heated outdoor pool. My only complaint was the cooking classes were all full. I will definately be going back!!

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor corner room. Quiet room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jenny C
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear TrueWeekender,

Wow....thank you is all I can say for making my job so much fun. I get to share this kind of great news with our associates and have fun rewarding and celebrating with them. Your genuine appreciation and satisfaction with you experience is fantastic to hear.

Director of Resort Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essex
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Hilton Burlington
Hilton Burlington
#5 of 9 in Burlington
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,411 reviews

Been to The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!