“very nice weekend”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Montreal, Canada
“very nice weekend”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Our room was ready before time, the staff was extremely nice, the pool and hot tub were A1, the room was big, clean, comfortable - the tavern restaurant was frendly, again staff was exteremy polite and helpfull - the price for food was ok for quality.We enjoy our stay and recommand this facility.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Dear sylvie b,

Thank you so very much for choosing to spend your weekend away with us and I am so happy to hear you had an enjoyable and relaxing time.

Director of Resort Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Los Angeles, California, USA
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

I've stayed at The Essex a couple of times because of how close it is to family and for how luxurious it is for the price. I recently used their Living Social offer ($99 a night), which really was a steal. The staff was super friendly and accommodating. The rooms are oldish but quaint (Vermont rustic). The pool and spa are the nicest I've seen in a while.

My only two complaints are: the heating in our room (we stayed in mid-March) was pretty awful. Set at 69 it loudly blasted hot air almost non-stop, and then when we got overheated and lowered it to 68, it started to blow cold air until we were freezing. The best temperature setting was to keep it off.

My second complaint is that the hotel rents the pool out for local swimming lessons, so on two different days and times, the pool, was full of lots of young kids learning to swim. This would be fine normally, but The Essex charges a separate $20/day resort fee on top of the room rate. For that price, the only kids in the pool should be guests of the hotel. At the very least, post the lesson schedule for guests so they can avoid the pool during those times.

Complaints aside, I challenge you to do better in the Essex/Burlington area.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear Marc F

Great to hear you were able to take advantage of the great value we offered on Living Social. Thank you for making mention of the service you received from our associates as well as the quality of our world class pool and spa.
I have spoken with our Director of Facilities regarding your mention of the heating unit in your room. While he will check to ensure it is working properly, it is worth mentioning that the heat will run until the desired (set) temperature is reached. Once this occurs the unit will shut off and resume running only to maintain the desired temperature. If set below the current room temperature, the unit will then switch to cooling to reduce the temperature. This may explain why cold air was being supplied when you lowered the thermostat.
We do charge a resort fee that covers many items such as access to the Spa, snow shoes in winter and bikes in summer, lobby coffee & tea with evening cider and cookies, WIFI property wide and more. in addition, we do have outside members of our Spa and this good neighbor approach has been quite popular with our friends in the community. I will certainly pass your concerns along to our Spa Director so she may ensure the schedules are available to all.

Danvers, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 10, 2014

My sister and I just got back from our sister weekend. This resort was great! The service was amazing, the restaurants were delicious and the resort was very clean. We were greated with cookies, milk and coffee. Our room in the manson was huged and connected by a corridor in the basement to the main house. We never had to wear our jackets in March. The spa was a few feet off the main house which featured a heated outdoor pool. My only complaint was the cooking classes were all full. I will definately be going back!!

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor corner room. Quiet room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jenny C
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear TrueWeekender,

Wow....thank you is all I can say for making my job so much fun. I get to share this kind of great news with our associates and have fun rewarding and celebrating with them. Your genuine appreciation and satisfaction with you experience is fantastic to hear.

Latham, New York
Reviewed March 10, 2014

My boyfriend and I both work in special ed, and when February break rolled around, we were moooore than ready to get away for a few days. We used a Groupon deal and we had an amazing time. We spent a lot of time in the outdoor hot tub, and in the sauna and steam rooms in the locker room. We ate dinner at the Tavern (I loved their wing sauce), and had breakfast at Amuse. We enjoyed a couples soak and massage that also included some Reiki. His massage was deep tissue, which was an unexpected bonus. We took a cooking class to learn how to make pasta, and the chef was great. She had a great sense of humor. All in all, I highly recommend it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lauren M
Dear Lauren M,

I am so happy to hear we were able to provide you with the escape you needed and deserve. It is quite rewarding for me and for all of our associates to hear when a guest takes full advantage of the many amenities and activities the resort has to offer and has a great time!

See you for spring recess?

South Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed March 10, 2014

First time writing one of these but we feel we should put our experience out there. Hotel was very clean had amazing rooms and the beds.....be prepared to sink into heaven. Restaurant had some of the best food we have EVER had. Our issue was the awful service we received from the spa. We paid close to 300$$ for a couples massage, the manager asked us how they were when we came out, mine was amazing, however, my finance was awful. The while time we are sharing our experience with the manager another employee was standing there rolling her eyes and had something rude to say after every comment we made. The manager said nothing to the employee. When we went to the front desk, no hotel manager on duty. Explained to the front desk person what happened, she was rude. Kept cutting us off. When you pay 400$$ for one night at a resort service needs to be of the same caliber.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Tarayna87,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Essex Resort & Spa and especially for taking the time to alert me to the dissatisfaction you experienced while visiting the Spa. As I mentioned in my communication to you separate from this forum, I have spoken to the managers of each area as well as the associates you encountered. The individuals in question are long time, loyal associates who routinely receive positive mentions from guests. This is quite concerning to me that they would have been the ones who were rude and contributed to your experience ending so terribly wrong. However, I firmly believe even a negative mention can be put to good use as a training and learning opportunity. While I assure you what you have detailed is neither typical or acceptable, this information will be put to good use.

Thank you again for your candid feedback,

Hawthorne, New Jersey
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Two of us spent last weekend at The Essex, using a Groupon offer that gave us a decent rate for two nights plus a 2-for-1 cooking lesson and $25 good for spa services..

We were looking for something that would be special and very memorable.Two days back and I'm still coming off the getaway high! We LOVED this place and would highly recommend for those looking for the type of unique experience that the Essex offers.

The cooking class was definitely the highlight of our trip. This was what initially attracted us to the groupon and we were not disappointed. We had 3+ hour Italian Basics class and I swear my stomach is still full from all the food we ate. Chef Anthony was a great instructor, very friendly and knowledgeable. He gave us some great tips and made us feel like we were ready to headline our own 4-star restaurant. Plus, the class size of just 7 students gave it a great vibe and allowed to get to know the other cooks, make new friends and have fun! This was what we came here for, is the Essex's unique value proposition and if you're into cooking or want to be, do take advantage of this. If we'd paid full-price for the both of us, it would be a pricey class - $300 for two of us, but it was the highlight of our trip. I'm looking forward to trying out some of these recipes on our own.

Coming in second was the spa facility and hot tub. Ahhh, I'm still thinking about the thrill of sitting in that hot tub in the 5-degree weather with hair icing up, but having the time of our life. Great ambience. We didn't get to take advantage of massages or too many of the spa facitlities, but enjoyed the saunas immensely. Relaxing and invigorating at the same time. I came away feeling refreshed. And, very clean pleasant environment.

We stayed in the Manor building. We had a suite with kitchen and separate bedroom. Nice room, nothing fancy, but comfortable and tastely decorated. Was furnished nicely, up to date, quiet...everything you'd really want. And, the king-size bed was very comfy. No complaints there.

The weekend went by quickly and we were so busy, we didn't really get the opportunity to take full advantage of the main building restaurants or other amenities. Front desk staff was friendly and accommodating. Looking over the menus, the food looked unique, if on the high price. We wanted to join in the campfire and enjoy some s'more on Saturday night, but didn't get back from town in time, But what a great-sounding fun event.

Our bottom line: Loved this place and highly recommend it if you're looking for a foodie-themed getaway. Pricey, yea, but sometimes you just owe it to yourselves. This was definitely a treat and I will enjoy the memories of this weekend for a very long time!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jschunter
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
Dear Jschunter,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your wonderful experience. Chef Anthony has been a great addition to our Cook Academy program and is often praised for his talents, professionalism and hospitality. Our world class Spa is truly an oasis of rest and relaxation....a must do activity when visiting.

We hope to see you again soon,

Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed March 3, 2014

A wonderful place to getaway whether you live near or far. My husband and I needed to get away and revitalize ourselves. The frigid temps have been wearing on us and we try to remain positive and active despite the challenges the cold and ice have brought. We disconnected from our technology, swam in the heated indoor pool, sat in the outdoor hot tub, read books by the fireplace in the lounge, enjoyed the steam room & sauna. All things warm...including delicious food at dinner and breakfast. The service from the ever friendly staff was wonderful. Our 24 hour stay was delightful and very rejuvenating!

Room Tip: We did not stay in the main lodge, we stayed in the building to the left of the Inn's main entra...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KAM83802
Dear KAM83802,

Rejuvenating! What a terrific word to describe your 24 hour respite from the daily stresses and certainly from the frigid temperatures this winter. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to be a part of your much needed and I am sure, well deserved stay-cation.

Spring is just a few weeks away!

Director of Resort Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essex
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Hilton Burlington
Hilton Burlington
#5 of 8 in Burlington
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington

Been to The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!