Two of us spent last weekend at The Essex, using a Groupon offer that gave us a decent rate for two nights plus a 2-for-1 cooking lesson and $25 good for spa services..
We were looking for something that would be special and very memorable.Two days back and I'm still coming off the getaway high! We LOVED this place and would highly recommend for those looking for the type of unique experience that the Essex offers.
The cooking class was definitely the highlight of our trip. This was what initially attracted us to the groupon and we were not disappointed. We had 3+ hour Italian Basics class and I swear my stomach is still full from all the food we ate. Chef Anthony was a great instructor, very friendly and knowledgeable. He gave us some great tips and made us feel like we were ready to headline our own 4-star restaurant. Plus, the class size of just 7 students gave it a great vibe and allowed to get to know the other cooks, make new friends and have fun! This was what we came here for, is the Essex's unique value proposition and if you're into cooking or want to be, do take advantage of this. If we'd paid full-price for the both of us, it would be a pricey class - $300 for two of us, but it was the highlight of our trip. I'm looking forward to trying out some of these recipes on our own.
Coming in second was the spa facility and hot tub. Ahhh, I'm still thinking about the thrill of sitting in that hot tub in the 5-degree weather with hair icing up, but having the time of our life. Great ambience. We didn't get to take advantage of massages or too many of the spa facitlities, but enjoyed the saunas immensely. Relaxing and invigorating at the same time. I came away feeling refreshed. And, very clean pleasant environment.
We stayed in the Manor building. We had a suite with kitchen and separate bedroom. Nice room, nothing fancy, but comfortable and tastely decorated. Was furnished nicely, up to date, quiet...everything you'd really want. And, the king-size bed was very comfy. No complaints there.
The weekend went by quickly and we were so busy, we didn't really get the opportunity to take full advantage of the main building restaurants or other amenities. Front desk staff was friendly and accommodating. Looking over the menus, the food looked unique, if on the high price. We wanted to join in the campfire and enjoy some s'more on Saturday night, but didn't get back from town in time, But what a great-sounding fun event.
Our bottom line: Loved this place and highly recommend it if you're looking for a foodie-themed getaway. Pricey, yea, but sometimes you just owe it to yourselves. This was definitely a treat and I will enjoy the memories of this weekend for a very long time!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on 18 acres between the vistas of the Green Mountains and the splendor of Lake Champlain, The Essex is Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa. The Essex is a true destination, offering a full-service Spa and Fitness Center, cooking classes in the J.K. Adams and Chef's Kitchens of Cook Academy, and our two award-winning restaurants-- all of which perfectly complement our classic accommodations.The Essex is the premier choice for your next group event and is the perfect Vermont wedding destination for dozens of happy couples tying the knot each year. From our own Vermont Tennis Vacations to our wine list, ranked among the best in the world, The Essex offers you an experience unlike any other resort in New England. ...a true Recipe for Relaxation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Groupon, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Essex, Vermont`s Culinary Resort And Spa
- The Essex, Vermont`s Culinary Hotel Essex
- Essex Vermonts Culinary Junction
- Essex Vermonts Culinary Hotel
- Inn Essex
- The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa