“Wonderful Experience, on the pricey side”

The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Essex
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Two of us spent last weekend at The Essex, using a Groupon offer that gave us a decent rate for two nights plus a 2-for-1 cooking lesson and $25 good for spa services..

We were looking for something that would be special and very memorable.Two days back and I'm still coming off the getaway high! We LOVED this place and would highly recommend for those looking for the type of unique experience that the Essex offers.

The cooking class was definitely the highlight of our trip. This was what initially attracted us to the groupon and we were not disappointed. We had 3+ hour Italian Basics class and I swear my stomach is still full from all the food we ate. Chef Anthony was a great instructor, very friendly and knowledgeable. He gave us some great tips and made us feel like we were ready to headline our own 4-star restaurant. Plus, the class size of just 7 students gave it a great vibe and allowed to get to know the other cooks, make new friends and have fun! This was what we came here for, is the Essex's unique value proposition and if you're into cooking or want to be, do take advantage of this. If we'd paid full-price for the both of us, it would be a pricey class - $300 for two of us, but it was the highlight of our trip. I'm looking forward to trying out some of these recipes on our own.

Coming in second was the spa facility and hot tub. Ahhh, I'm still thinking about the thrill of sitting in that hot tub in the 5-degree weather with hair icing up, but having the time of our life. Great ambience. We didn't get to take advantage of massages or too many of the spa facitlities, but enjoyed the saunas immensely. Relaxing and invigorating at the same time. I came away feeling refreshed. And, very clean pleasant environment.

We stayed in the Manor building. We had a suite with kitchen and separate bedroom. Nice room, nothing fancy, but comfortable and tastely decorated. Was furnished nicely, up to date, quiet...everything you'd really want. And, the king-size bed was very comfy. No complaints there.

The weekend went by quickly and we were so busy, we didn't really get the opportunity to take full advantage of the main building restaurants or other amenities. Front desk staff was friendly and accommodating. Looking over the menus, the food looked unique, if on the high price. We wanted to join in the campfire and enjoy some s'more on Saturday night, but didn't get back from town in time, But what a great-sounding fun event.

Our bottom line: Loved this place and highly recommend it if you're looking for a foodie-themed getaway. Pricey, yea, but sometimes you just owe it to yourselves. This was definitely a treat and I will enjoy the memories of this weekend for a very long time!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jschunter
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2014

Dear Jschunter,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your wonderful experience. Chef Anthony has been a great addition to our Cook Academy program and is often praised for his talents, professionalism and hospitality. Our world class Spa is truly an oasis of rest and relaxation....a must do activity when visiting.

We hope to see you again soon,

There are newer reviews for The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa

Reviewed March 3, 2014

A wonderful place to getaway whether you live near or far. My husband and I needed to get away and revitalize ourselves. The frigid temps have been wearing on us and we try to remain positive and active despite the challenges the cold and ice have brought. We disconnected from our technology, swam in the heated indoor pool, sat in the outdoor hot tub, read books by the fireplace in the lounge, enjoyed the steam room & sauna. All things warm...including delicious food at dinner and breakfast. The service from the ever friendly staff was wonderful. Our 24 hour stay was delightful and very rejuvenating!

Room Tip: We did not stay in the main lodge, we stayed in the building to the left of the Inn's main entra...
1  Thank KAM83802

Dear KAM83802,

Rejuvenating! What a terrific word to describe your 24 hour respite from the daily stresses and certainly from the frigid temperatures this winter. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to be a part of your much needed and I am sure, well deserved stay-cation.

Spring is just a few weeks away!

Reviewed March 3, 2014

My husband and I traveled to the Essex this past weekend and had a great time! The service was amazing-- everyone from the person who opened the door when we came in, to the front desk to the servers at their restaurants were so friendly and helpful! The hot chocolate and cookies we had while waiting to check in were a nice afternoon treat!

We had purchased our stay through Travel Zoo and I was a little nervous checking in because I wasn't sure if we were going to get a less than ideal room since we bought it through a discount site. I was happily surprised when we were shown into our HUGE room! We had a small kitchen, living room and sitting area, large bathroom and a separate room for the bed! The bed was so comfortable, I enjoyed sprawling out in the king size too! The only downside was that the room had a somewhat 'funky' smell to it when you first walked in, which I'm thinking that a little baking soda in the fridge/freezer could cure right away!

We spent some time in the hot tub and pool while we were there, which were so nice! I wish we had made reservations at the Spa or at the cooking school before we came, as they were all sold out once we got there. Next time! :)

The 2 restaurants were great to have on site! We visited 'Amuse', which was the classier restaurant on Friday and enjoyed 'The Tavern' on Saturday after a long day of skiing. The food and drinks were delicious and I thought were reasonably priced. Also, the portions were fairly sized, which you don't always get at a 'culinary' type resort.

Great place to stay and I would recommend this to family and friends who are looking for a weekend escape!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Meghan W,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We often post packages and specials on Travel Zoo. The Essex Resort & Spa consists of 120 unique guest rooms each with its own personality, configuration and amenities. All of which can be available even while taking advantage of a promotion. I have shared your observation regarding the refrigerator in your room with our Housekeeping Supervisors....thank you for the great suggestion.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

From check-in to check-out, the Essex folks treated us well! Although we were primarily in the area to ski, we found the property luring us to stay there, and it was difficult to leave!!! Next time our stay will be longer, and we will avail ourselves to the many spa services available. The people are friendly and helpful, the food in both restaurants fantastic, the spa just perfect after a long day on the slopes, and the property was spotless. We will return soon!

1  Thank ChristinaK4444

Dear ChristinaK4444,

Thank you so very much for your support of the Essex Resort & Spa. Reading a review such as yours is a great source of inspiration to all of our associates. We have dedicated and loyal hospitality professionals who truly enjoy what they do. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to share this great review with them.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

My daughter and I both needed a quick get away after being very busy at work. We wanted to go to a hotel with a spa to relax for a couple of days. The Essex was an excellent choice!

Our agenda was to chillax, and boy did we! Since this was a spontaneous trip, we did not have plans once we arrived. We checked in, and never left the property for the two nights / days we were there! We used the gym, spa and ate at the fabulous restaurants on site. (see the other separate, individual reviews)

We had a lovely one bedroom suite in the Manor building. We are so glad that we went for the suite, since we ended up spending more time in our room than we usually do when we go on vacation. We did not use the kitchen to actually cook, but we did use it to reheat the leftovers we brought back from the restaurant. We loved having a Keurig coffee maker (and real half and half!) in room. The bed was so comfortable! I rarely sleep so well in a hotel. It was so quiet! We were not disturbed by noise from within the hallways nor outside the hotel, which I do not usually experience when staying in hotels. Our room had lots of windows, and appeared to have no common walls with other rooms. The bedroom was set back past the living / dining area of the suite, so we could not hear a thing from the hallway.

All of the staff the we encountered were professional, friendly and helpful. We got the perfect amount of attention when we needed it, and the privacy that we were seeking as we enjoyed spending time in our suite.

We went over to the nearby outlets after we checked out, and took advantage of a discount that we got upon checking in at the hotel. It is not an enormous outlet shopping area, but it had a particular store we like.

I would definitely recommend the Essex to anyone who is seeking a destination resort with a spa. It is a lovely and well managed hotel.

Room Tip: The one bedroom suites in the Manor are in the corners of the building, and they are like a peninsul...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Dear Jenlevity63

Thank you for choosing to de-stress and "chillax" with us. It is such a rewarding experience for us when guests have the stay they were hoping to have and so deserve. Hopefully we can have the opportunity to be a part of your next mother/daughter weekend away.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

This is a lovely property. My son and I spent one night here last week because we were taking the Primo Pasta class from the Cooking Institute. I highly recommend any of their classes. They have a very professional staff and the classes are fun!

We arrived at the inn and were given a lovely room with two VERY COMFORTABLE queen beds.. …like sleeping on air comfortable. When we checked in, the cookies they offer in the lobby had not yet been put out. I told them I was coming down in 30 min to get some. Well, I returned 30 min later and they were ALL GONE! Eek! Not acceptable! Well, they brought me right over to the bakery case and offered me a complimentary treat and I chose a cupcake (which was amazing!). 15 minutes later, there is a "knock, knock" on my door. There stands the bellman bearing WARM cookies! Ok…..that's serious service and you now have a customer for life!

We have booked another night's stay in April and another cooking class. I advise you to do the same.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Vermonttraveler73

Dear Vermonttraveler73,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story with other travelers. Our full service on-sight bakery produces all of our tasty delights and breads. Our cookies are delicious and we have become victims of our own success. They just don't last once we put them out! Our Front Office Manager has spoken with the bakery team and has increased our daily cookie order so we can ensure everyone has the opportunity to have one.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

This was our second stay at the Essex, we were married there a year ago and came back for our anniversary. Our room was fantastic, so comfortable and had a lovely fireplace. The food at both restaurants is great, and room service is fast and good. Management had chocolate covered strawberries and champagne waiting for us in our room with a note welcoming us back.

2  Thank Joy V
EssexResort-VT, Manager at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2014

Dear Joy V,

Happy Anniversary and thank you for choosing to celebrate it at the Essex Resort & Spa. I am delighted to hear you had another memorable experience.

See you next year!

Director of Resort Operations

Also consider these accommodations in or near Essex
Stowe Mountain Lodge
Courtyard Burlington Harbor
Topnotch Resort
Topnotch Resort
#4 of 24 in Stowe

Been to The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!