“Relaxing Culinary Delight!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Mansfield, Massachusetts
“Relaxing Culinary Delight!”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

My husband and I traveled to the Essex this past weekend and had a great time! The service was amazing-- everyone from the person who opened the door when we came in, to the front desk to the servers at their restaurants were so friendly and helpful! The hot chocolate and cookies we had while waiting to check in were a nice afternoon treat!

We had purchased our stay through Travel Zoo and I was a little nervous checking in because I wasn't sure if we were going to get a less than ideal room since we bought it through a discount site. I was happily surprised when we were shown into our HUGE room! We had a small kitchen, living room and sitting area, large bathroom and a separate room for the bed! The bed was so comfortable, I enjoyed sprawling out in the king size too! The only downside was that the room had a somewhat 'funky' smell to it when you first walked in, which I'm thinking that a little baking soda in the fridge/freezer could cure right away!

We spent some time in the hot tub and pool while we were there, which were so nice! I wish we had made reservations at the Spa or at the cooking school before we came, as they were all sold out once we got there. Next time! :)

The 2 restaurants were great to have on site! We visited 'Amuse', which was the classier restaurant on Friday and enjoyed 'The Tavern' on Saturday after a long day of skiing. The food and drinks were delicious and I thought were reasonably priced. Also, the portions were fairly sized, which you don't always get at a 'culinary' type resort.

Great place to stay and I would recommend this to family and friends who are looking for a weekend escape!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
Dear Meghan W,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We often post packages and specials on Travel Zoo. The Essex Resort & Spa consists of 120 unique guest rooms each with its own personality, configuration and amenities. All of which can be available even while taking advantage of a promotion. I have shared your observation regarding the refrigerator in your room with our Housekeeping Supervisors....thank you for the great suggestion.

Director of Resort Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Dennis Port, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 2, 2014

From check-in to check-out, the Essex folks treated us well! Although we were primarily in the area to ski, we found the property luring us to stay there, and it was difficult to leave!!! Next time our stay will be longer, and we will avail ourselves to the many spa services available. The people are friendly and helpful, the food in both restaurants fantastic, the spa just perfect after a long day on the slopes, and the property was spotless. We will return soon!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChristinaK4444
Dear ChristinaK4444,

Thank you so very much for your support of the Essex Resort & Spa. Reading a review such as yours is a great source of inspiration to all of our associates. We have dedicated and loyal hospitality professionals who truly enjoy what they do. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to share this great review with them.

Highland Mills, NY
Reviewed February 26, 2014

My daughter and I both needed a quick get away after being very busy at work. We wanted to go to a hotel with a spa to relax for a couple of days. The Essex was an excellent choice!

Our agenda was to chillax, and boy did we! Since this was a spontaneous trip, we did not have plans once we arrived. We checked in, and never left the property for the two nights / days we were there! We used the gym, spa and ate at the fabulous restaurants on site. (see the other separate, individual reviews)

We had a lovely one bedroom suite in the Manor building. We are so glad that we went for the suite, since we ended up spending more time in our room than we usually do when we go on vacation. We did not use the kitchen to actually cook, but we did use it to reheat the leftovers we brought back from the restaurant. We loved having a Keurig coffee maker (and real half and half!) in room. The bed was so comfortable! I rarely sleep so well in a hotel. It was so quiet! We were not disturbed by noise from within the hallways nor outside the hotel, which I do not usually experience when staying in hotels. Our room had lots of windows, and appeared to have no common walls with other rooms. The bedroom was set back past the living / dining area of the suite, so we could not hear a thing from the hallway.

All of the staff the we encountered were professional, friendly and helpful. We got the perfect amount of attention when we needed it, and the privacy that we were seeking as we enjoyed spending time in our suite.

We went over to the nearby outlets after we checked out, and took advantage of a discount that we got upon checking in at the hotel. It is not an enormous outlet shopping area, but it had a particular store we like.

I would definitely recommend the Essex to anyone who is seeking a destination resort with a spa. It is a lovely and well managed hotel.

Room Tip: The one bedroom suites in the Manor are in the corners of the building, and they are like a peninsul...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Jenlevity63

Thank you for choosing to de-stress and "chillax" with us. It is such a rewarding experience for us when guests have the stay they were hoping to have and so deserve. Hopefully we can have the opportunity to be a part of your next mother/daughter weekend away.

Windsor, Vermont
Reviewed February 25, 2014

This is a lovely property. My son and I spent one night here last week because we were taking the Primo Pasta class from the Cooking Institute. I highly recommend any of their classes. They have a very professional staff and the classes are fun!

We arrived at the inn and were given a lovely room with two VERY COMFORTABLE queen beds.. …like sleeping on air comfortable. When we checked in, the cookies they offer in the lobby had not yet been put out. I told them I was coming down in 30 min to get some. Well, I returned 30 min later and they were ALL GONE! Eek! Not acceptable! Well, they brought me right over to the bakery case and offered me a complimentary treat and I chose a cupcake (which was amazing!). 15 minutes later, there is a "knock, knock" on my door. There stands the bellman bearing WARM cookies! Ok…..that's serious service and you now have a customer for life!

We have booked another night's stay in April and another cooking class. I advise you to do the same.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Vermonttraveler73
Dear Vermonttraveler73,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story with other travelers. Our full service on-sight bakery produces all of our tasty delights and breads. Our cookies are delicious and we have become victims of our own success. They just don't last once we put them out! Our Front Office Manager has spoken with the bakery team and has increased our daily cookie order so we can ensure everyone has the opportunity to have one.

Auburn, Maine
Reviewed February 25, 2014

This was our second stay at the Essex, we were married there a year ago and came back for our anniversary. Our room was fantastic, so comfortable and had a lovely fireplace. The food at both restaurants is great, and room service is fast and good. Management had chocolate covered strawberries and champagne waiting for us in our room with a note welcoming us back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Joy V
EssexResort-VT, Manager at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
Dear Joy V,

Happy Anniversary and thank you for choosing to celebrate it at the Essex Resort & Spa. I am delighted to hear you had another memorable experience.

See you next year!

Fishkill, New York, United States
Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

The Essex Culinary Resort & Spa was a wonderful experience for my fiancee and me. We used a Groupon discount and stayed from a Wednesday through Saturday. The resort itself was very clean and every worker from the front desk to the spa clerk to the housekeeper went out of their way to be courteous and ask if there was anything we needed. We had full access to the spa and were able to use the facilities to read, relax and enjoy peace and quiet without being bothered. We ate every night at their restaurant or tavern and the food and local microbrew beer selection were excellent. Also excellent was their proximity to downtown Burlington and other tourist attractions. The only criticisms we would have is that the service at the restaurant and tavern was a bit slower than an average restaurant. Also, upon final billing, there was an additional tax for meals and food associated with using the restaurants on the property. Besides those two small issues, the pros absolutely outweighed the cons. This is definitely a resort we will be returning too.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Scott T,

Thank you so very much for writing about your experience. The Essex Resort & Spa has many wonderful associates that go out of their way to ensure our guests have a great visit and I love sharing great feedback with them. The additional tax for meals and use of our restaurants is of concern to me, however. We have no such fee or tax and I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further. Please feel free to email me directly at the address below. Thank you again for your support of the Essex Resort & Spa.

nazj@vtculinaryresort.com
Newtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

Excellent lodging, spectacular facilities, 5 star restaurant, amazing menu of spa services, and the nicest most accomodating staff I have had the pleasure of interacting with.....this place has it all.

• Stayed February 2014
EssexResort-VT, Manager at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Dear jamie156,

Thank you for your praise of the services, amenities and most of all the dedicated associates that make wonderful experiences happen for our guests.

Director of Resort Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essex
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Hilton Burlington
Hilton Burlington
#5 of 8 in Burlington
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington

Been to The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!