“Above and beyond service!”

The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Essex
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 25, 2014

This is a lovely property. My son and I spent one night here last week because we were taking the Primo Pasta class from the Cooking Institute. I highly recommend any of their classes. They have a very professional staff and the classes are fun!

We arrived at the inn and were given a lovely room with two VERY COMFORTABLE queen beds.. …like sleeping on air comfortable. When we checked in, the cookies they offer in the lobby had not yet been put out. I told them I was coming down in 30 min to get some. Well, I returned 30 min later and they were ALL GONE! Eek! Not acceptable! Well, they brought me right over to the bakery case and offered me a complimentary treat and I chose a cupcake (which was amazing!). 15 minutes later, there is a "knock, knock" on my door. There stands the bellman bearing WARM cookies! Ok…..that's serious service and you now have a customer for life!

We have booked another night's stay in April and another cooking class. I advise you to do the same.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Vermonttraveler73
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2014

Dear Vermonttraveler73,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story with other travelers. Our full service on-sight bakery produces all of our tasty delights and breads. Our cookies are delicious and we have become victims of our own success. They just don't last once we put them out! Our Front Office Manager has spoken with the bakery team and has increased our daily cookie order so we can ensure everyone has the opportunity to have one.

Director of Resort Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (1,485)

Reviewed February 25, 2014

This was our second stay at the Essex, we were married there a year ago and came back for our anniversary. Our room was fantastic, so comfortable and had a lovely fireplace. The food at both restaurants is great, and room service is fast and good. Management had chocolate covered strawberries and champagne waiting for us in our room with a note welcoming us back.

2  Thank Joy V
EssexResort-VT, Manager at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2014

Dear Joy V,

Happy Anniversary and thank you for choosing to celebrate it at the Essex Resort & Spa. I am delighted to hear you had another memorable experience.

See you next year!

Reviewed February 24, 2014

The Essex Culinary Resort & Spa was a wonderful experience for my fiancee and me. We used a Groupon discount and stayed from a Wednesday through Saturday. The resort itself was very clean and every worker from the front desk to the spa clerk to the housekeeper went out of their way to be courteous and ask if there was anything we needed. We had full access to the spa and were able to use the facilities to read, relax and enjoy peace and quiet without being bothered. We ate every night at their restaurant or tavern and the food and local microbrew beer selection were excellent. Also excellent was their proximity to downtown Burlington and other tourist attractions. The only criticisms we would have is that the service at the restaurant and tavern was a bit slower than an average restaurant. Also, upon final billing, there was an additional tax for meals and food associated with using the restaurants on the property. Besides those two small issues, the pros absolutely outweighed the cons. This is definitely a resort we will be returning too.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Scott T,

Thank you so very much for writing about your experience. The Essex Resort & Spa has many wonderful associates that go out of their way to ensure our guests have a great visit and I love sharing great feedback with them. The additional tax for meals and use of our restaurants is of concern to me, however. We have no such fee or tax and I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further. Please feel free to email me directly at the address below. Thank you again for your support of the Essex Resort & Spa.

nazj@vtculinaryresort.com

Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

Excellent lodging, spectacular facilities, 5 star restaurant, amazing menu of spa services, and the nicest most accomodating staff I have had the pleasure of interacting with.....this place has it all.

• Stayed: February 2014
EssexResort-VT, Manager at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2014

Dear jamie156,

Thank you for your praise of the services, amenities and most of all the dedicated associates that make wonderful experiences happen for our guests.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

My wife an I enjoyed our time at the Inn, celebrating our anniversary very much. The manager sent a bottle of champagne to our room,which we loved along with having a fireplace and Jacuzzi tub to enjoy. The pool area was fantastic, and we were giving great robes to use while we were there Over all the staff was warm and professional,and we would very much recommend the resort to family and friends. Thanks, to everyone at the Essex for a super anniversary experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building, its where the restaurants are.
1  Thank Timetravler2014

Dear Timetravler2014,

Happy Anniversary and thank you for giving us the opportunity to be a part of your celebration. Hopefully this becomes an annual tradition!

Reviewed February 18, 2014

Room was clean and cozy (B&B feel). Lindsey helped us at the front desk with dinner reservations and things to do around the area or in Burlington. Snowshoeing a couple miles away at a reservoir was beautiful - complimentary snow shoes at desk/spa. Cookies between 3-4 were delicious! The food was a surprising highlight - local and fresh. Waitstaff was relaxed but attentive. The Tavern had the best chicken wings and salads from the green house! Homemade pastries and ice-cream - delish. After the first brunch at Amuse, we didn't even try anything else on other mornings. The best brunch with fresh ingredients, tons of choices, and crispy, light waffles! Quality! Looked forward to it every day.

Loved the spa - steam room, sauna, jacuzzi, pool, quiet lounge areas (repeat). We often had many of these to ourselves. At times, there were groups - some kids. We would just do something else and then it would open up for us to use. Our favorite day was when we didn't go to Burlington (15-20 min) but just lounged and relaxed at the spa. Everyone was very friendly. They gave us bathrobes and slippers to use. Will be back!

1  Thank TrueWeekender

Dear TrueWeekender,

Thank you so very much for sharing this wonderful experience. Lindsey at the Front Desk is a recent addition and has proved to be a superstar. I often hear praise for about her personality, willingness to help and professionalism. Our culinary team is led by Shawn Calley, Director of Culinary Operations. Shawn and his team recently won the Golden Barn Award for their dedication to locally produced food. The Spa is an oasis of calm and relaxation...a must visit on everyone's to do list.
Thank you again and we look forward to having you as our guests sometime soon,

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Me and my boyfriend stayed here Sunday into Monday. I had a groupon and I was taking him for a nice relaxing getaway for his birthday. All of the staff was warm and inviting! The room was cute and perfect just to sleep in. The mattress was amazing and me and my boyfriend had a herd time getting up in the morning. We went to the Tavern for dinner and everything was amazing! Our waiter was new and he was great! Very knowledgeable about the specials and answered any questions that we had. My boyfriend is really big on food and he ate everything on his plate! Unfortunately I did not get to go to the spa..but that gives us a reason to go back! Thank you Essex for the perfect birthday weekend for my boyfriend!

Dear Kim S,

Thank you for choosing to celebrate your birthday with us. I am so pleased to hear it was a fantastic and memorable experience.
We do hope to see you again next year....Happy Birthday!

Director of Resort Operations

Also consider these accommodations in or near Essex
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Hilton Burlington
Hilton Burlington
#5 of 8 in Burlington
Sun & Ski Inn and Suites

Been to The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!