“great food, where is the service?”

The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Essex
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 13, 2013

my wife and I stayed over the long Labor Day weekend for a wedding and the stay was for 2 nights. the grounds are really nice and its tucked away within 15-20 min of Burlington so lots to do. the check in was easy, room was quaint and served its purpose. the grounds were really beautiful. we didnt get to use the pool bc of the weather but looked fine. we had spa treatments and i have to say the spa facility is very nice as were the services. the food on-site was very good, you can tell everything they prepare is soooo fresh but my biggest complaint was the actual service in the restaurants and bar. we ate 3x at the restaurants for breakfast/lunch/dinner and everytime we waited extended periods of time to even get menus, it took 45min for my wifes omelette and lunch the guy who waited on us had the personality of a brick. here you are shelling out a lot of money for high quality meals and while the food was exceptional, the folks who were giving it to us were far from that. it was like it was their first time as servers or they didnt care. even at the bar i found getting a drink tough. it was a shame, bc when you think of a culinary institute, its not just the food, its about the entire experience and in all honesty the experience wasnt that great.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank cmgreenlaw1978
EssexResort-VT, Manager at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2013

Dear cmgreenlaw1978

Thank you very much for your response. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our property and trust that you had an enjoyable time at the wedding you attended. I am pleased that you enjoyed our food quality. We take great pride in using as much local product as possible in support of our Vermont farmers and providing the freshest ingredients as possible for our guests. I am disappointed to hear that we did not provide timely or enthusiastic service to you during your dining experiences. Please know that I have taken your comments to not only my restaurant management team but also to my staff. There is no excuse for unfriendly or slow service even during times of high volume business. Again, thank you for your comments and I hope that you return to visit us again.

Best Regards,
Mary Ingrisano
Restaurant General Manager

There are newer reviews for The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stayed here with many family and friends for our daughter's wedding recently. Although we enjoyed the ambiance and amenities, we found the management to be inflexible regarding such things as shuttle service and late checkout for the bride & groom. Despite spending a fortune for such a very large wedding party and guests, they would make no special airport pickups or drop offs, even for just an hour before their standard hours of shuttle service. Really, they couldn't arrange to pay their driver 1 hour overtime when we are spending tens of thousands of dollars on rooms and reception dinner and bar tabs. Amazing inflexibility and shortsightedness. The location is a bit of a distance from the airport and town, so the limited shuttle service hours requires taxi service, which is not cheap. The resort and amenities are nice, but these details can really leave a bad taste in your mouth.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LongballBB
EssexResort-VT, Manager at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Mrs. Brevig, on behalf of the entire Essex Resort & Spa family I want to congratulate you on your daughter's wedding and thank you for offering us the opportunity to be a part of such a wonderful event for your friends and family. I do agree that the inflexibility in terms of our shuttle was shortsighted but I assure you this is not supported by our philosophy or culture. Nor is it typical. This has been brought to the attention of our Front Office Manager so he may take appropriate measures to prevent it from occurring again. Thank you again for your support of the Essex Resort & Spa and for your honest and valuable feedback.

Naz Jenulevich
Director of Resort Operations

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Over Labor Day weekend my friend and I were guests here. I had purchased a one night gift certificate at a charity auction. We also booked a second night. Upon arrival and departure there was confusion on the charges.

On the day after we departed the general manager personally called me and made a very nice gesture to resolve the situation.

While we were there, we utilized the spa for three treatments each. We were extremely pleased with the spa facility and the quality of the staff. If you do stay here, my advice is to treat yourself to a massage. You won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: We stayed in the main building in a fireplace suite. Very nice!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Traveler_200950
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We booked a king, Got an upgrade due to overbooking to a queen with a kitchen. Didn't need the kitchen, needed a king bed.
Blinds are filthy and broken
I always expect some noise, but we were near the dryer vents on the ground floor. And the full size fridge ran loudly until I unplugged it.
Room service was a disaster. When I went to talk to someone at the front desk I got the following excuses..."oh, well we have several parties here this weekend and the rooms got mixed up" and (In regards to our room service) We ordered between 7 and 8. "It's peak time, So they probably were busy" Our dog was to be given gifts upon arrival. He did not receive them, I had to ask for them. Not what I expected for $280 a night. Not at all. We are still here. I will follow up if I get any of the above resolved.

Room Tip: First floor room have people walking by walking their pooches at all hours, With the windows open, y...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joie F
EssexResort-VT, Manager at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Good day Finley-Morris Party,

First, I would like to thank you for staying with us and I do apologize that the complimentary upgrade was not received as well as we had hoped it would be and also that your pet amenity was not in your room upon your arrival. It certainly was not delivered in the timely fashion we prefer. It is always our goal to provide all of our guests with a seamless experience from arrival thru departure and it appears we fell short.
It is unacceptable that an excuse was given to you regarding the room service you ordered. I did agree to compensate you in full for this issue. We do value you as a customer and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Andy Skypack
Front Office Manager
The Essex Resort & Spa

Reviewed September 6, 2013

The hotel is a beautiful property. The rooms are extremely comfortable with lovely decor -- ours even had a fireplace. The indoor pool, exercise room, and outdoor hot tub are all first class. We had dinner in the bistro -- delicious! The tasting menu looked great and fairly priced -- we just were too tired to enjoy it.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nice2go
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I was a little after concerned after reading a review on trip advisor that stated the guest had allowed her dog to sleep on the bed obviously not adhering to the rules regarding animals in the hotel rooms.
I need not have worried as we were given a complimentary upgrade to a deluxe suite which was perfect as it gave us the privacy required for four adults. The decor of the room was bright and the cupboard and draw space for clothing etc was excellent, the kitchen area was more than adequate for our needs, the bathroom was a good size and also had plenty of storage space. We ate in both the tavern and the muse and all our meals were of a very high standard as we're the breakfasts.
We also used the spa for massages which included the use of the suna and steam rooms for the day, it was a wonderfully relaxing experience. The indoor pool is excellent as are the outdoor pool and the hot tub. The grounds of the resort are immaculate. The staff in all areas are attentive while maintaining the relaxed cheerfulness that seems to come naturally to the people of Vermont.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Leintwardine
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed at The Essex because it was a Groupon deal I found and it was close to Burlington. Included in the Groupon was dinner to the Tavern which was fantastic. I had the filet my husband had the chicken which was very good as well. We didn't do anything else on the grounds but if we return we would like to try out the Northern lights course they have.

• Stayed: September 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essex
Stowe Mountain Lodge
Courtyard Burlington Harbor
Topnotch Resort
Topnotch Resort
#4 of 24 in Stowe

Been to The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!