“Everything you could possibly hope for”

The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Essex
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I was a little after concerned after reading a review on trip advisor that stated the guest had allowed her dog to sleep on the bed obviously not adhering to the rules regarding animals in the hotel rooms.
I need not have worried as we were given a complimentary upgrade to a deluxe suite which was perfect as it gave us the privacy required for four adults. The decor of the room was bright and the cupboard and draw space for clothing etc was excellent, the kitchen area was more than adequate for our needs, the bathroom was a good size and also had plenty of storage space. We ate in both the tavern and the muse and all our meals were of a very high standard as we're the breakfasts.
We also used the spa for massages which included the use of the suna and steam rooms for the day, it was a wonderfully relaxing experience. The indoor pool is excellent as are the outdoor pool and the hot tub. The grounds of the resort are immaculate. The staff in all areas are attentive while maintaining the relaxed cheerfulness that seems to come naturally to the people of Vermont.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Leintwardine
Write a ReviewReviews (1,470)

Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed at The Essex because it was a Groupon deal I found and it was close to Burlington. Included in the Groupon was dinner to the Tavern which was fantastic. I had the filet my husband had the chicken which was very good as well. We didn't do anything else on the grounds but if we return we would like to try out the Northern lights course they have.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This was my second visit to The Essex. I did a class at the Cook Academy (Cooking Vegetarian with Vermont Cheese - amazing!), had a massage at the spa, and ate a wonderful dinner at Amuse. I was so relaxed after two nights. I love that they are pet friendly - I brought my cat with me this trip, and she chilled in the room. I upgraded to a fireplace room this time. I didn't need the fireplace this trip, but the room was spacious, with a small sitting area to the side. I may buy another fall special and come back for another visit in a couple months!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank kerful1
Reviewed September 4, 2013

You will want for nothing at this resort! From its landscaped grounds, luxurious sapacious, comfortable and immaculate rooms to its gourmet dining facilities. Unfortunately we could only spend one night here (which is not recommended) and could not participate in all the amenities which are offered. A two full day minimum might include the highlights offered. The Essex is a short 10 minute drive to Burlington and all of its amenities. If you're in this area, make every effort to stay here.

Room Tip: Mid-week stays might offer better accomodations.
2  Thank Art W
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We came here for two days to relax. The spa was nice and quiet. Very clean and well kept. Everyone was extremely attentive. We took the cooking class with Brittany. That was awesome. Learned some new techniques and had a delicious meal to boot!. Grounds were nice to walk about or simply grab a hammock and a book to read. Did a little local travelling but think if we came back would take advantage of other things the area had to offer.

Room Tip: Rooms in back tend to be noisy.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The grounds at the Essex Inn are very well maintained and lovely which include an outdoor pool, walking trails, a world class's spa and indoor Olympic sized pool.

This is my second time staying at the Essex (both trips for business) the first was in December of 2011 and the second was last week for three nights.

The Essex is best known for its culinary arts so you would expect that such a reputation would be indicative of incredible food throughout the inn. Not necessarily: I did not have the opportunity to dine in "Amuse" which is the upscale restaurant on premises but did have dinner three times in the Tavern in addition to catered buffet lunch during the day.

The Maple Wind Farms BBQ Chicken and roasted corn setved in the Tavern was amazing!! Every other meal was average at best. The Mediterranean Falafel Salad had the worst hummous and falafel I have ever tasted ;as for the "beer dippin pretzels", don't bother-- the dipping sauce was like paste. Terrible consistency and taste. The Filet Mignon Medallions were ok but not as good as the comparable item at Outback Steakhouse which have much better flavor and more tender than the filet medalions served at the Essex. All in all, a huge disappointment. The saving grace in the food department wete the homemade bbq potatoe chips with cinnamon and red pepper and the Maple Wind Farms BBQ Chicken dinner.

What are the rooms like? I had a very large room with fireplace and sitting area that smelled very much like a wet dog. The color scheme of the room was very nice; bright and cheerful. During checkout when I mentioned the wet dog smell in the room to the desk clerk, the young man replied simply: "interesting" --then went about printing my folio and completing my checkout.

Room Tip: Get one that does not smell like a wet dog!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Mark R
EssexResort-VT, Manager at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear Sark1961

Thank you for returning to visit the Essex Resort & Spa. Repeat guests are a vital part of any hospitality business as well as a testament to the quality of the service received.

The Essex is certainly known for its culinary arts and while the Tavern is great, it is unfortunate that you did not experience our many other dining choices. Amuse is our signature restaurant and the recipient of a four diamond rating from AAA as well as a Wine Spectator award. Additionally Amuse has been rated as four and ½ out of five by Trip Advisor reviewers. Our Chef’s Table has also been rated four and ½ out of five possible on Trip Advisor. Our cooking classes have been a great source of positive feedback. Our guests truly enjoy the talented chef instructors who take each class participant on a fun filled, informative journey through their culinary adventure. Chef Robert Alger, our Executive Pastry Chef, is often crafting tasty pastry delights right in our lobby demonstration bakery. For breakfast each morning one of our chefs is on stage at our preparation area that is open to the dining room. This provides a wonderful glimpse “behind the curtain” as you can watch your food being masterfully prepared before your eyes. Under the Supervision of our Certified Master Chef, Arnd Sievers, our culinary team is ready to accommodate any food preference, allergy and restriction with ease along with gluten free preparations. With all of these incredible options, we generally can find the right venue and menu items to suit our diverse and varied clientele.

I do apologize for the missed opportunity at departure. Please be assured that this will be used as a training tool as we continuously develop our associates hospitality skills and experience.

Naz Jenulevich
Director of Resort Operations

Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed here Wednesday through Saturday in late August. Our room was in The Mansion; it was clean, but not luxurious by any means. The dresser was kind of rickety but it didn't really matter to me - just needed to hold clothes. The walls were also a bit scuffed up in certain places - again, not a big deal, but don't expect this to be a "resort" atmosphere indoors. The grounds are beautiful and the staff I encountered were exceptionally friendly and courteous. We didn't go to the spa, but I did use the small gym (two treadmills and ellipticals, weights and machines). We ate at The Tavern one night and went for drinks another night. Food and drink were very tasty. I would have liked to have tried Amuse, but heard it was really pricey so we opted to eat most of our meals in downtown Burlington. Overall, I would turn to The Essex, especially with another Travel Zoo deal.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essex
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
#5 of 8 in Burlington
The Stowehof
The Stowehof
#12 of 24 in Stowe

Been to The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!