“Fabulous experience at this charming Vermont resort”

The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Essex
GreenLeadersSilver level
Long Island, New York
“Fabulous experience at this charming Vermont resort”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

My family had a wonderful time experiencing the comforts of this charming Vermont resort. I'm glad I disregarded all the previous reviews and decided to take a chance. Prior to my arrival, the reservation staff answered all my concerns which where highlighted on trip advisor. Kyle, the reservation manager made me feel welcome before I even stepped in the door. Upon arrival and for the next 5 days, the front desk personnel greeted my family with cheerful smiles and wonderful suggestions on activities to keep us busy. Andy, the front desk manager is a wealth of information and Kirsten couldn't have been more helpful compiling directions and making reservations. Essex is a wonderful local, conveniently located close to Burlington and a relaxing picturesque drive to the ski areas. If you want action and adventure, make sure you visit Arbor Trek near Smugglers Notch and Northern Lights, which is next door to the Essex property. We also had a wonderful day bike riding along Lake Champlain. Its a 20 mile ride, and well worth the experience. If you've never been hot air ballooning, we had an incredible time. Above Reality is the outfit of choice, and pilot Jeff is not only a skilled navigator, but also quite entertaining. If your planning on travelling to the Ben & Jerry's factory, stop for some dinner at The Hen in the Woods, but make sure you make a reservation beforehand. And you want to travel a bit further past the factory take a drive up the road to Warren and hike to a spectacular swimming hole where you can dive off the cliffs and wade under the falls. Stop at the General Store and ask for specific directions, otherwise you may never find it! Overall The Essex offered everything to make our vacation complete, relaxing spa services, swimming in the outdoor/indoor pool, updated gym, tennis lessons with Dave, both fine and informal dining conveniently located on their premises and a warm friendly staff. This place is a WINNER!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LCR49

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Pittstown, New Jersey
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Our experience with this world class staff began months prior to our stay ( August 3-6). Our son and fantastic daughter in law celebrated their wedding weekend at this incredible resort. My wife and I have traveled most of the world and I spend approx 125 days a year on the road in the finest establishments in the country. Without question , one of the premier experiences possible.

The property - the perfect balance between sophistication and comfort. Superb accommodations , fire place , rocking chair( loved that) , impeccable .

The staff - there are not enough accolades that we can bring to relate the incredible client experience. Tiffany is without a doubt the most professional manager we have ever encountered...the team was just as awesome!

The expectations were at the highest level for this so very important weekend event. I have never awarded a "10" , but this is the first and VERY well deserved!!

Room Tip: Side buildings
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Rob S
Altamont, New York
Reviewed August 28, 2013

This was overall a nice little resort, but there were some issues that, if addressed, could make it much better. The location is great - close to Burlington. The rooms are clean. For this issues: 1- The hotel does not offer ANY bottled water. They do not provide any in your room nor do they have any available for purchase. When asking the front desk about this, they told us to drive to CVS to buy some or to drink the water out of the bathroom sink (while this might be fine, it is certainly not appealing). 2- Food & drink service at the pool was unreliable. 3- Food at the restaurants was underwhelming, especially considering that it is a culinary resort. 4- No receipts are given when you charge something to your room - so you have to recall the charges from memory when verifying your bill at checkout.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
EssexResort-VT, Manager at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Sandra R,

Thank you for staying with us recently. I am terribly disappointed that you experienced these issues. They simply should never have occurred. We offer bottled water in vending machines as well as in a refrigerated cooler at the bakery area at the front entrance. Even if these two resources were out of supply, our Front Desk Agents and or Bell Staff should have provided a solution. Receipts should always be provided to our restaurant guests as a matter of standard procedure.
Please accept my sincere apologies for these oversights and I assure you this is not typical of the service the Resort is capable of providing.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We recently stayed at the Essex Resort and Spa and had a wonderful visit! The Essex has a warm Vermont country charm to it's exterior but offers all the amenities one would find at a larger standard resort. Upon entering you are immediately greeted by a friendly staff member and temping baked good are for sale in a glass case nearby. We loved the red velvet cupcakes and macaroons! Our room had a spa tub and was decorated in periwinkle colors and it also included a gas fireplace and sitting area. We found this room in the main house to be convenient for meals ( served downstairs) and very quiet as well. We enjoyed using the large hammocks, outdoor pool and whirlpool as well as the adjacent spa facility. Breakfast buffets were plentiful and our dinner at Amuse was delicious! We also ate at the adjacent pub and loved the truffle fries! on site there is golf and tennis and nearby an outlet mall with a movie theatre. Burlington is a short car ride away for a fun day trip. TIP: We loved our room in the main house so we never had to go outdoors after a meal! We would HIGHLY recommend Vermont Guided Tours was a great way to see nearby sights. Greg Doremus took us to a local maple Sugar House where we learned the art of creating maple syrup. Then it was off to a local winery for a tasting and tour. You have to try the ice wine! finally we made our way to a lovely park for a picnic lunch. Greg told us stories of the sights and towns we passed through and made our trip to Vermont that much more complete. You can sign up for this tour or several others when making your reservation at the Essex Resort!

Room Tip: Main House towards the back for a great view!
1 Thank Luv2travel601
Rumson, New Jersey
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We planned our last night of an activity filled week in Vermont at the Essex. Figured it would be a great end to a fabulous week and it was anything but. The young lady we had for massages was very nice but both my husband and I felt very rushed. And culinary they are not....appetizers were great followed by a poorly cooked and presented entree and dessert. Plus, while our waitress was pleasant...the service was terrible.

Kudos to the front desk for a job well done.

1 Thank P B
Dear P B

Please accept my apologies for your week not ending as you had hoped it would. I have spoken to the managers of both the Spa and Amuse in an effort to investigate and gain insight as to what went wrong. Your help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Would you be willing to provide me with additional information and more specific details as to what the service failures were?

Amuse has been rated as four and a half out of five and the Spa has received five out of five by other Trip Advisor reviewers. Hearing directly from a guest with an experience that is so far from the positive experiences of others is very important to me. I will attempt to reach out to you via the email address provided when booking your reservation.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback,

New York City, New York
Reviewed August 26, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Essex for 3 nights via a Travelzoo voucher. Our stay was great; we took advantage of the gym, the two pools, the tennis courts, the nearby outlet stores, and the free bike rentals. Dinner at Amuse was delicious, and we really, really loved the free, freshly baked cookies and lemonade in the lobby! All pastries are baked on premises, and are super tasty! One staff member told us to check out the kitchen window on the basement level. Every once in a while they set out leftover pastries that are up for grabs. We enjoyed running down there to see if we could score a freebie!
The lobby staff members were friendly and helpful. We went to the spa on our last day. I had a facial with Amy, who was lovely and did a really great job. I would highly recommend her.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My husband and I were visiting Burlington and decided to stay outside of town. This hotel is about 20 minutes from downtown.

Pros: we stayed in a one bedroom suite which was a good size two room apt with a kitchenette. the bed was comfortable and bath a good size The grounds are relatively small but very attractive and well kept. The spa is great -- I had a massage and used the other facilities. We had dinner at Amuse and the food and service were very good. Staff was pleasant and helpful.

Cons: as others have mentioned, at least half of the rooms face the parking lot. Knowing that, I asked for a room facing the woods. Nice room BUT the back of the building has the exhaust system so all night long this very loud mechanical system kept cycling on and off and drove me crazy. We were not in the building next to the restaurant which wld have it's own exhaust system plus the kitchen's which was quite loud. (in fairness, when I called the front desk to complain, they said there wasn't anything they could do about the noise but gave me free pass of the spa facilities). While the rooms were good sized,the furniture was a bit beat up The breakfasts we had were not good and the service was amateurish.

The area was pleasant and they seem to try hard but I don't think I would return.

1 Thank egliz
EssexResort-VT, Manager at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear egliz

Thank you for deciding to stay with us on your recent visit to the Burlington area.

Your comments regarding the cleanliness of your room, quality of the Spa and grounds have been shared and celebrated with our associates.

It is correct that many of our rooms face the front parking lot but this is actually a very quiet area and is the location of some of our beautiful gardens, sitting areas, green spaces and a popular photo spot for our brides and grooms. A large number of our rooms overlook our outdoor pool, Chef’s Garden with chickens, fire pit, the East Lawn and more. As you requested, your room was placed away from the front of the building and I am pleased to hear that our Front Desk Ambassadors were quick to take responsibility for your happiness by providing a visit to our world class Spa at no charge to accommodate your room’s proximity to some of our mechanical equipment. Our Facilities Director and his team will inspect the unit to ensure it is running and properly balanced so it is as quiet as possible as well as performing any needed repairs to the furniture in the room you occupied. Our Food and Beverage Director has also been made aware of your breakfast experience so he may use this as a training opportunity.

I do hope you consider a return visit to the Essex Resort & Spa. Our reservation agents are exceptionally familiar with the property and features and I am certain they can find the room that is perfect for you on your next visit.

Director of Resort Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essex
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Hilton Burlington
#5 of 8 in Burlington
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,473 reviews
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,275 reviews

Been to The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!