“Manhattan Prices for Vermont Service”

The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Essex
GreenLeadersSilver level
edison
“Manhattan Prices for Vermont Service”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

If you're going to advertise yoursefl as a top service spa / hotel / resort and charge the prices to match, you need to deliver the service. The Essex does not. My family of four spent two nights there, so four rooms total, one breakfast and two dinners - nearly $2,000. Filthy mens locker room, adequate gym for a hotel, not for a spa, woefully understaffed restaurants and variable food quality. The room are large, but poorly appointed, with tiny desks and inadequate lighting. The staff that is there is very friendly, but there are not enough of them. We stared at unbused tables during our fist dinner because no one had the time to clean them. The second night there was one (1) server for the entire Amuse eatery.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank richard l

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My husband and I booked this trip for our babymoon, to celebrate our expectancy. The ride was beautiful coming from NY up to Vermont and we were excited to spend our week at the resort. We checked in and changed to go to the pool since the day was sunny and beautiful. Our room wasn't all that great, with a bit weathered furniture and mushy mattress, also no safe in the room so be ready to look after your valuables at all times. We really loved the grounds and both pools. The garden was a very nice touch with the free chickens running around in their area was great. We loved the hammocks and the nicely kept lawns and firepit. The tennis court was nice though we didn't play. We did take a cooking class which was a very nice experience and we enjoyed the food and the recipes. We also made reservations for the chefs table which was Fabulous! Chef Michael was very kool and the food was spectacular, especially the lamb course and the chocolate pudding was to die for. Don't miss the Chefs table if you visit, well worth it. The spa was great as well, I had a sweet lady named Kassidy do my massage and body treatment which was AWESOME! She was so nice and very very good at what she does, she had great energy and I loved my services. The staff was very nice and the spa was super clean and very welcoming. Nice products too. I also got a pedi by Denise, she was great and the signature pedi was a unique and relaxing service. Both the Tavern and Amuse served super delicious food and the staff was friendly and efficient. My husband played golf and liked the course and also did an obstacle course in the back of the hotel at Northern lights rock and ice co. which he said was very fun. Overall, pretty much everything aside from our room was super, would be nice if the management updated a few things in the guestrooms and get rid of random old furniture in the halls, cause the resort is stellar everywhere else.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank MChNY
North Attleboro, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Friendly staff, great food & a beautiful room.
The grounds are very beautiful as well.
My husband got to play golf on a near by course and I got to paint.
The gardens are so nice that it was hard to resist painting them.
The staff did a complimentary zip for my husband over to the course.
A very enjoyable two days.
Every one is welcomed here, even dogs!
So pack up your family & pooches and enjoy a beautiful & relaxing stay.

Elmwood Park, New Jersey
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We booked this trip as a weekend getaway for my husband and myself. The only negative experience was the long drive there and home. So from check-in with Andy and Nena to check out I can honestly say this vacation was the best time we both had. We did it all!! Rooms amazing. We stayed in the premier 1 bedroom. Room was rustic fireplace was used the first night because it was cold. We laughed that it was August and we had a fireplace on! I wanted to take the bed home so now I am bed shopping. Jacuzzi tub big enough for 2. Everything was clean everyone was so pleasant. I suffer from major food allergies. Friday morning we did breakfast the Amuse. My husband had the buffet. I told my server my issues with food and they said no problem. I ate breakfast out for the 1st time in over 4 years! We did the tour on Friday with Greg. We took the maple syrup and wine tour. Greg was amazing and informative! We enjoyed this so much!! Then we went to the The Links and did 9 holes of golf! Loved it!! We booked the Chefs Table. Amazing Experience. My husband never ate so much! We had the best time. Chef Alex amazing!!! Again my order was handled with gloves and separately and was fabulous. Again 1st time in 4 years amazing experience I was ready to cry.. Saturday morning we went shopping and we booked massages at the Spa. we did the 50 minutes Swedish massage (next time I'm doing 80 lol!) So relaxing!. We took a bike ride out of the resort. We walked the grounds of the resort loved the chickens and gardens. I honestly can write a book about everything about The Essex! We booked the culinary class with Chef Christine Saturday. Learned knife skills and learned how to cook an amazing dinner and dessert!! Again Amazing experience well worth the $$$$$$. I cant wait to return even though the drive of 6 hours is long this place well worth it!!! We called it a Honeymoon Experience!!!

3 Thank Lori G
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

The room was very clean big enough for four people. We had a room with 2 queen beds and it was spacious enough for all of us. Friday night there was a bonfire and s'mores which were very good. It's very quiet too around the resort so a lot of relaxing moments. Would definetly go back.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Fi_W155032
Milford, Connecticut
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Shortly after checking in, we pulled back the sheets only to find that they were soiled. I immediately called the front desk to have this issue resolved. While apologetic, the staff member at the front desk tried to blame this on possibly leaving our ‘Do Not Disturb’ sign on the door while housekeeping was around. Nice try, but we had just checked-in. About 5 minutes later, a young man on the staff came to change our sheets.

On the morning of our departure, the housekeeping staff knocked on our door, which puzzled me. Maybe it was my fault that I didn’t use the ‘Do Not Disturb’ sign, but I never heard of housekeeping coming to clean your room when you are set to check-out only an hour or two later.

On a lighter note, the grounds were beautifully manicured. We were lucky enough to get a hammock for a bit to sit and enjoy the weather. The restaurants on the premises also had great food (separate reviews to come). We also took advantage of and thoroughly enjoyed a few excursions offered through Vermont Guided Tours in collaboration with The Essex (separate review to come).

For the most part, I would say that we enjoyed our short trip to The Essex. It’s just unfortunate that it had to be marred by housekeeping errors.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We had a great experience at The Essex. That said, do not expect this place to be on par with a Four Seasons. Its a small inn in New England, not a mega-resort. We were greeted by a very friendly guy when we checked in. We brought our dog ($45 per night fee, same as boarding) and were given the whole shpiel about the dog rules, etc. Our room was in the main building on the 3rd floor. It was adorable. I was not a huge fan of the bright red walls..not exactly soothing, but in this setting it kind of worked. The HUGE king sized bed was like sleeping on a cloud..just ask our dog. We loved the grounds and that there was so much space for her to run and play fetch out by the pond in front. We did not use the pool or spa so cant speak to those but the grounds are beautiful. Everyone stopped and fussed over our dog and I love the house-made dog treats.

IF you plan to bring your dog some things you should know:
-You will need to bring a food/water dish-they provide a nice little travel bowl in the room for you to keep though, as well as a toy and treats
-If your dog is anxious, its best to bring their crate as a comfort, we are glad we did. We are also glad we could have dinner downstairs in the Tavern (you must) so we didnt have to leave her alone too long on the first night
-Bring a flashlight for night time walks. The area is not brightly lit at night
-There is no fridge in the room so if you use wet food bring a small cooler to fill with ice to keep any leftover food cold
-They have a dog walker who will walk your dog for $15 if you are out for a long day

My only gripes, and they are minor is there is not much space for storage in the bathroom and there is NO LIGHT in the stinking closet-another reason to bring a flashlight!

We had one dinner and one lunch in the Tavern restaurant. It was much better than I expected. I thought it would be standard bar food but its a cut above. Service was a little slow, but we were not in a rush. The food and drinks/beers on tap were all fantastic and you MUST try the locally made root beer, ROOKIES! So good!

We had breakfast in the Amuse restaurant and just had the buffet. Thank you to the reviewer who gave a tip about the pastries. These were light, and fresh, and flavorful... the best breakfast pastries I have had outside of France. It must be the Vermont butter! I could have eaten a ton of those...other must-try were the house made breakfast sausages with maple syrup-I ate more of those than I should have. My husband was raving about his egg sandwich..one side of the roll was an english muffin and the other was a biscuit and both were homemade as well. Nice fresh fruit and berries..I had no room for eggs benedict but it looks fabulous, and they also have omelets made to order. For $15pp you cannot beat the breakfast buffet.

We had perfect weather the entire time which also probably contributed to the enjoyment of our trip, but side from the few things I mentioned above it was a perfect trip for 3 nights. I did not partake in any cooking classes or other activities but I am sure theyre great. Next time!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank lovesublime
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essex
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Hilton Burlington
Hilton Burlington
#5 of 8 in Burlington
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington

Been to The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!