“Weekend Getaway”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Montreal, Canada
“Weekend Getaway”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We found a great deal for this hotel and booked for the weekend of June 7-9. Check in was quick and friendly and we were in our room in no time. The room was clean and the bed was quite comfortable. Two very nice bathrobes were provided for the duration of our stay. The only drawback was that after a day of seeing the sights, we returned to find our room had not been cleaned! When I called down to the desk, I was asked if I had put in a request to have the room cleaned. The only door hanger in the room is for "do not disturb". Apparently you have to call down to the desk to request that your room be cleaned, otherwise they only make up the room when you leave. Not a huge deal as we were only staying for the weekend. The staff was very friendly and were quick to respond when we asked for clean coffee cups, glasses and towels.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 206 (second floor). The room was equipped with amenities for the disabled. Large d...
1 Thank bahamamama65

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
South Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Spent the night here for our 25th Wedding Anniversary, cold bottle of bubbly and a beautiful room. The outdoor pool was open and heated just right. Dinner at the Tavern was amazing, I would give this 6 stars if I could. Thank you for a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny, let them know if you are celebrating a special occasion!
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We recommend this hotel , this resort has everything to help you yo enjoy a relaxing weekend...pleasant staff, very nice heated outdoor pool, room nice and comfy...nice indoor pool although the spa needs a bit of refreshing... liked the sauna and steaming bath but less liked that this is not couple sharing, it is separated...Excellent experience while booking, Thank you Jeannette Ward!!!...loved the music in the lobby, calm and pleasant, same in the spa...overall, if you have money to spend and you want to be in the city but away from all stress, this resort is the answer for you!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nickhita
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My fiance and I stayed here this past weekend and loved it. It was my second time at the resort and his first. We brought our dog and they took amazing care of him, allowing him to stay behind the desk when we had dinner at the Chef's Table. They even gave him toys, treats, and a travel bowl to take home with him! The Chef's Table was incredible. Every dish was absolutely delicious (and we are foodies) and the wine pairings (though a lot of wine) were perfect. Alex, our chef, was super. The rooms are clean, decorated very nicely and comfortable. The beds are super comfortable (in fact, we are going to buy the same sheets they use!) We ordered room service for breakfast and it came within 20 minutes and was very yummy. We honestly had no complaints at all. Just wish we had stayed longer!

A special thanks to Lindsey for her help with our dog and to Alex Casimir for the amazing Chef's Table! Can't wait to seee yo

New York City, New York
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Located a few miles outside Burlington, this sprawling resort has everything to help you enjoy a relaxing weekend away from the city. The culinary part in the name is not just a quirk. The food is definitely the best part. the Chef's Table is a must (reviewed separately) and even the Tavern has some very good food. The rooms are spacious enough - we had a traditional fireplace room (although the fireplace itself was electric). There are two pools - the outdoor one is probably more for kids to splash around when weather permits. But 25 yard heated indoor pool is great for people want to get a workout. There are two hot tubs as well - was great during the wet 35F weekend we encountered. There are 6 tennis courts but they seemed in dire need of maintenance. It could be a result of the constant rain the area had been getting. Anyway the weather didn't allow us to use those facilities. Which brings me to the Spa. I am not a regular massage guy so it is difficult for me to rate that experience. The rain showers at the Spa are definitely the best I have ever seen. The staff is like most people in New England, very nice and polite and eager to help. On the whole a very relaxing and enjoyable weekend.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ludlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2013

This is a beautiful resort with pleasant staff and comfortable rooms. What spoiled my business trip here was the worst meal I have ever experienced. The bread roll arrived and should have served as a warning for me. As the knife cut into the bread roll so it disintegrated onto the side plate and table surrounding it, it was then like biting into a tablet of moulded wood chippings. The main course arrived and initially looked ok. Hidden under the tasteless fish (with acceptable batter) was twice fried chips half of which had been fried for most of the day. The chips that were not solid from being over fried were dripping in fat and tasteless. The tartare sauce was garbage and the only thing on the plate that tasted of anything was the ketchup and newspaper garnish placed under this culinary disgrace.

I complained to the staff in the restaurant and the duty front desk manager so that the chef does not think I am being deceitful in my review. Chef, how this got through the pass is beyond me and I think you need to review your attention to detail.

Room Tip: My best tip is to say, if you do go then plan on eating somewhere other than the Tavern Inn on site
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Tim N
JGVT, General Manager at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Tim N.
We are very sorry to hear of your recent experience, and I sincerely appreciate your candid feedback. I have passed your comments on to our Food and Beverage Director, and we are looking into the issue to see what could have been done differently.
I am disappointed that you left with such an impression, in that our crusty dinner rolls are made fresh daily in our own Bakeshop onsite, the fish Is hand-battered to order, and the tartar sauce is also house made fresh. Frankly, our Fish and Chips is perennially one of our most popular dishes, so it is most unfortunate that it was not to your liking this night.
This being said, I am again very sorry and hope that we may try to sway your opinion of our culinary offerings the next time you choose to visit the Resort. I am, however, pleased that you found the resort to be so pleasant and comfortable otherwise!

Sincerely.
Jim Glanville
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I've stayed there multiple times when I'm traveling to Stowe or Boston and want to be pampered. The rooms are very, very nice and comfy. The boys and I stayed there when were were skiing at Stowe Mountain; it's only 50 minutes away and way cheaper. As a bonus, Ben and Jerry's is on the way back from skiing to the Inn.

The pool is great.
The spa massages are excellent.
The staff is very responsive. I wish other hotels were like this.

They often have deals through Hotwire.

Room Tip: I used urbanspoon and trip advisor and found some great places close by.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mike b
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essex
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Hilton Burlington
#5 of 8 in Burlington
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,472 reviews
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,275 reviews

Been to The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!