“Excellent weekend!”

The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Essex
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We recommend this hotel , this resort has everything to help you yo enjoy a relaxing weekend...pleasant staff, very nice heated outdoor pool, room nice and comfy...nice indoor pool although the spa needs a bit of refreshing... liked the sauna and steaming bath but less liked that this is not couple sharing, it is separated...Excellent experience while booking, Thank you Jeannette Ward!!!...loved the music in the lobby, calm and pleasant, same in the spa...overall, if you have money to spend and you want to be in the city but away from all stress, this resort is the answer for you!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nickhita
Write a ReviewReviews (1,468)

Reviewed June 3, 2013

My fiance and I stayed here this past weekend and loved it. It was my second time at the resort and his first. We brought our dog and they took amazing care of him, allowing him to stay behind the desk when we had dinner at the Chef's Table. They even gave him toys, treats, and a travel bowl to take home with him! The Chef's Table was incredible. Every dish was absolutely delicious (and we are foodies) and the wine pairings (though a lot of wine) were perfect. Alex, our chef, was super. The rooms are clean, decorated very nicely and comfortable. The beds are super comfortable (in fact, we are going to buy the same sheets they use!) We ordered room service for breakfast and it came within 20 minutes and was very yummy. We honestly had no complaints at all. Just wish we had stayed longer!

A special thanks to Lindsey for her help with our dog and to Alex Casimir for the amazing Chef's Table! Can't wait to seee yo

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Located a few miles outside Burlington, this sprawling resort has everything to help you enjoy a relaxing weekend away from the city. The culinary part in the name is not just a quirk. The food is definitely the best part. the Chef's Table is a must (reviewed separately) and even the Tavern has some very good food. The rooms are spacious enough - we had a traditional fireplace room (although the fireplace itself was electric). There are two pools - the outdoor one is probably more for kids to splash around when weather permits. But 25 yard heated indoor pool is great for people want to get a workout. There are two hot tubs as well - was great during the wet 35F weekend we encountered. There are 6 tennis courts but they seemed in dire need of maintenance. It could be a result of the constant rain the area had been getting. Anyway the weather didn't allow us to use those facilities. Which brings me to the Spa. I am not a regular massage guy so it is difficult for me to rate that experience. The rain showers at the Spa are definitely the best I have ever seen. The staff is like most people in New England, very nice and polite and eager to help. On the whole a very relaxing and enjoyable weekend.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2013

This is a beautiful resort with pleasant staff and comfortable rooms. What spoiled my business trip here was the worst meal I have ever experienced. The bread roll arrived and should have served as a warning for me. As the knife cut into the bread roll so it disintegrated onto the side plate and table surrounding it, it was then like biting into a tablet of moulded wood chippings. The main course arrived and initially looked ok. Hidden under the tasteless fish (with acceptable batter) was twice fried chips half of which had been fried for most of the day. The chips that were not solid from being over fried were dripping in fat and tasteless. The tartare sauce was garbage and the only thing on the plate that tasted of anything was the ketchup and newspaper garnish placed under this culinary disgrace.

I complained to the staff in the restaurant and the duty front desk manager so that the chef does not think I am being deceitful in my review. Chef, how this got through the pass is beyond me and I think you need to review your attention to detail.

Room Tip: My best tip is to say, if you do go then plan on eating somewhere other than the Tavern Inn on site
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Tim N
JGVT, General Manager at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear Tim N.
We are very sorry to hear of your recent experience, and I sincerely appreciate your candid feedback. I have passed your comments on to our Food and Beverage Director, and we are looking into the issue to see what could have been done differently.
I am disappointed that you left with such an impression, in that our crusty dinner rolls are made fresh daily in our own Bakeshop onsite, the fish Is hand-battered to order, and the tartar sauce is also house made fresh. Frankly, our Fish and Chips is perennially one of our most popular dishes, so it is most unfortunate that it was not to your liking this night.
This being said, I am again very sorry and hope that we may try to sway your opinion of our culinary offerings the next time you choose to visit the Resort. I am, however, pleased that you found the resort to be so pleasant and comfortable otherwise!

Sincerely.
Jim Glanville

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I've stayed there multiple times when I'm traveling to Stowe or Boston and want to be pampered. The rooms are very, very nice and comfy. The boys and I stayed there when were were skiing at Stowe Mountain; it's only 50 minutes away and way cheaper. As a bonus, Ben and Jerry's is on the way back from skiing to the Inn.

The pool is great.
The spa massages are excellent.
The staff is very responsive. I wish other hotels were like this.

They often have deals through Hotwire.

Room Tip: I used urbanspoon and trip advisor and found some great places close by.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mike b
Reviewed May 20, 2013

My complaints: Our room only had thin shades (not blackout) and no curtains, hence the room started getting bright and sunny around 5:30 in the morning. The bed was way too soft. I probably sank in 5-6 inches (and I only weigh 150 lbs). They should at least have beds in the middle of soft and firm. My body was sore from no support. This place is supposed to be a culinary resort but the food sucked! We chose the 15$ breakfast buffet - it was downright gross. The scrambled eggs were floating in a sea of liquid and were crusty in top, the fruit was not ripe, french toast was dry - best thing I ate that morning was the English muffin. The only thing remotely tasty that I ate while at this hotel was the squash ravioli. Oh yea - prom was going on while we were there and it was noisy at midnight! We had reserved a king, but they only had queens available - not sure what the point of a reservation is?

Positives: Can't comment on the spa services, but I was told by somebody else that they were good. They give you amazing bathrobes for the room. It's close to outlets if you like that kind of thing. The staff is friendly.

Bottomline: This place is pricey and mediocre. Stay a unique bed and breakfast instead.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank LL5678
JGVT, General Manager at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear LL5678,
Thank you very much for staying with us and for providing feedback on Trip Advisor. I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations on some fronts, but do appreciate the feedback and will address the issues you’ve outlined. Each room should have black out shades, so if you are inclined to advise to which room you stayed in, it would be most appreciated so that we can quickly remedy that situation. Additionally, while our new mattresses are on the softer side, we also have firm mattresses in certain rooms and can accommodate that request if your preference is for a firmer experience. Finally, it is disappointing to see that your culinary experience was not up to par. I have shared your comments with our team and will address accordingly.
I’m glad you enjoyed our in-room “amazing” robes and do hope that you’ll get the chance to enjoy our Spa first hand during your next visit. Thank you again for the feedback and I do hope that we’ll have the chance to provide you with an improved experience in the future.

Jim Glanville

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Went last weekend. I got the a discount fare in priceline.
The hotel is located some 15 miles outside Burlington. We had a big room in another building next to the main building. The staff was friendly and they gave us a clean room with a nice view.
I'm sure I will be back soon as I loved Burlington!

Room Tip: Pick a room overlooking the golf court!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essex
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
#5 of 8 in Burlington
The Stowehof
The Stowehof
#12 of 24 in Stowe

Been to The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!