The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Essex
Boston, MA
“Relaxing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I stayed at the resort this past weekend with my boyfriend after I bought a Travelzoo voucher. I had never been to Burlington so I thought why not take a road trip! And one of my boyfriend's friends lives up that way so we met for a drink while there. I booked a soak and couples massage for us at the spa and it was really wonderful. Great service, except a slight mixup where they mixed up my boyfriend and another guy, it was a little awkward but funny so no big deal! The spa was very relaxing and cozy, you could sip some tea or juice and sit by the fire, read a magazine or book. We used the pool and outdoor hottub which was also nice. Everyone was very friendly everywhere we went. The heat was on in the room we stayed in, looked like it was at 70, way too hot, I turned it off. Also, it was a bit noisy as the walls seemed thin, but did not really bother us, just thought I would mention if you are a light sleeper :) We did not eat at Amuse even though we had a dining credit, but did have a cocktail and appetizer at the Tavern which was really good. I would go back, definitely go to the spa again and try one of the culinary classes!

• 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
West Bridgewater, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

My family booked five rooms for a fiftieth birthday celebration. We ate in Amuse the first night, very good, small portions. The waiter was great, he explained the menus to us better. You can also order things with sauces on the side or not at all. But the next night, (3 couples), We went to The Tavern, we arrived at 6pm and were never seated until almost 9pm. By then, nobody was hungry anymore!!!! We should have made reservations. I will say that the couples massages were outstanding!!!!! The spa facilities and the spa therapists were out of this world. I would definately drive four and a half hours again to have a massage here again. But then I would turn around and drive four hours back towards home. That was the highlight of the trip.

Room Tip: Other Family had rooms with fireplaces, some with double beds, some with larger rooms. Not us. Small...
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Dawn O
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Best bed I've ever slept in. Resort was nice and clean. Colors are a but dated 80ish with the blues and pinks, but nevertheless it was nice. I was expecting "wow" food being a culinary resort, but it was just good food ...nothing to brag about. I only ate at the Tavern there an did not eat at he Amuse. Needs music in the bars and restaurants. Was quiet. Music needs to be played everywhere....just makes things better. Was too far from Burlington

Auburn, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We held our wedding at the Essex, and it was fantastic. The wedding coordinators were incredibly helpful and attentive, and it all went off without a hitch. They not only helped us achieve what we wanted for our wedding, but they also had great suggestions. The food was delicious, both at the wedding and at Amuse for dinner the next night. We also had massages at the spa there and they were great. Highly recommend.

York County, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We had a comfortable and lovely stay at The Essex. We ate dinner and breakfast at Amuse during our stay. The food lives up to they hype! Our room was a "traditional room". It was small but clean and adequate. The bed was divinely comfortable. Unfortunately, their heating system relies on individual room units that sound like a diesel tractor when they start up. We were awakened by the racket repeatedly throughout the night. We won't stay in the winter again but when we are in the area will certainly plan to dine there.

• 2 of 5 stars
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

My husband and I (along with our dogs) stayed the weekend at the Essex. We took advantage of the Groupon offered a few months back.

Check-in was very easy and our room was ready for us (though we did check-in around 230). We had a room on the 3rd floor facing the pool. It had a gas fireplace which I didn't mind much (I find regular fireplaces to be smelly). However, like others complained, the heater was very noisy and the room didn't have a good consistent temperature. It was disappointing that we were placed far away from the elevator, but we had a back exit/entrance that we used for the dogs. However, the only trashcan around the resort was in the front of the building. It would have been nice to have trashcans in other places.

We ate at Amuse the 1st night and it was really great, but I was disappointed in the lobster risotto. I wish the waiter told me more about it (or the menu gave me more info), because it has a weird BBQ sauce that almost ruined the flavors. The 2nd night it was so bust everywhere that we had to order take-out from the Tavern. I actually preferred the their food than the "snooty" Amuse dishes. I am not a huge fan of breakfast, but the breakfast there was great (albiet a little expensive). Had the buffet the 1st morning and an tasty egg,potato,spinach,cheese sandwich the next morning.

My only real negative would be the extra charges the resort tacks on. $15 for a resort fee is a little ridiculous for every night you are there (and yes I am well aware that the Groupon mentioned this). However, many resorts have pools and saunas and do not over charge. Plus, since this is winter and there aren't other amenities available (outdoor pool, tennis courts, etc), how about cutting back the fee for your winter guests?

All-in-all, great experience, but we won't come back unless we get a really great deal again.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Absolutely one of the best and most relaxing vacations I've experienced. The staff was extremely nice, the room was extra large and had everything one could need. I have no complaints about anything. Can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essex
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Trapp Family Lodge
Trapp Family Lodge
#4 of 24 in Stowe
4.0 of 5 stars 1,028 reviews

Been to The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!