“Great Escape” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Essex
Burlington, Vermont
“Great Escape”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

We are locals who haven't been to The Essex in years. We were very impressed and definitely plan to return. The food was amazing and the service impeccable. Our room, in the third story of the main building, was well appointed and comfortable- although a couple of things were a little shabby.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
South Portland, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Stayed here recently for a quick business trip. Got in a little before dinner and it was already getting dark out so couldn't really talk about any drive-up impression. The check in was fast and very, very courteous.
My room was a corner king on the third floor. My impression when I opened the door was "wow, that's a really red room". After the shock wore off, I was happy with my accomodations, as the bright colors on the wall were definitely not something you'd see at a chain hotel, which in the end, was refreshing. Everything about the room was completely adequate.
I ate dinner in the tavern, which was so crowded I couldn't get a seat at the very large bar. Nonetheless, service was very good. I had filet medallions and lobster mashed potatoes with a Switchback (local beer). All were excellent.
If you can get this hotel at a decent price point, it's a slam dunk of a deal.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank jonnyqball
Hull, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My boyfriend and I recently celebrated our anniversary and I found a advertisement on GroupOn for the Essex and decided to surprise him with it. It was more beautiful and elegant than the pictures made it appear. As soon as we arrived, the staff warmly greeted us, the white lights illuminated the whole resort nicely in the freshly fallen snow. The room was very nice and the pool/fitness room was great. The only thing I wish is that they provided a fridge in the room for left overs.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Megan N
Norwalk, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Essex for 2 nights the weekend before Christmas on a Groupon deal. I was very impressed with the grounds upon arriving and throughout our stay, very beautiful. The front desk was pleasant and we checked in with no issues. We had our dog with us so we were placed on the third floor of the main building, furthest away from the elevator. This was kind of annoying. I would think we'd have easy private access on the first floor near a door. We did have a back stairwell right by our room, so we'd walk down the three flights to go out, but you could not get back in. We'd have to walk all the way around back to the main entrance to the elevator. Not a huge deal, just a little inconvenient.

The room itself was decent. Clean, bright, roomy. We had a fireplace, but it really gave off no heat, more for ambiance. The worst part was the AC/Heat unit. It sounded like a jet engine! They need to seriously update those units. And, as everyone else complained about, it was hard to get a comfortable temperature since you cannot adjust the thermostat under 68.

We ate at the Tavern for lunch, and I had the best turkey sandwich of my LIFE! Amazing. Then we had dinner at Amuse. I have to be honest...not great for a "culinary resort." I am somewhat of a foodie, so I get the concepts, but the chicken I had was very salty and not impressive. My husband's meal was also lacking. I would not eat there again...the Tavern was so much better!

We did not take a cooking class, but did indulge in the spa. I would highly recommend the spa! Beautiful facilities, the outdoor hot tub in the snow was so relaxing, and I had one of the best facials ever. My husband had a scalp massage after skiing and was in heaven.

Overall, this place is ok, but not 4-5 stars. It needs a few updates here and there. The restaurant should be sooo much better than it is. It has promise, but it's not as awesome as they advertise it to be.

Room Tip: If you have a dog, try to be closer to elevator/entrance on main level.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
NH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My husband and I checked into the resort for 2 nights to celebrate our Anniversary. Check in was pleasant and the front desk folks were wonderful. Our room was upgraded from a Qu. to a King. When we walked in, there was a chilled bottle of Champagne with two glasses and an Anniv. card from the resort ! I guess I mentioned it on the phone and relaxing with the champagne was a fabulous start to the two days. Very comfortable bed and great shower. The only problem with the room was that you cannot turn the heat down below 65, and we were pretty hot. Other than that, great room. Both nights we opted for dinner in the Tavern after busy days out and about. Food is wonderful, service...so-so.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Cos Cob, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Far from impressed with the food at this "culinary resort.". Just paid $100 for room service for wings, 2 salads, a dessert and a few beers. The food was pretty awful - nothing spectactular or innovative about the cuisine and wasnt even moderately good. The rooms are very dated and show lots of wear. They are large and convenient fot traveling with a young child but the carpet is gross and the rooms in general are in need of a facelift. The spa was the best part and what I would recommend. My husband and I both got massages and enjoyed the facility.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mbkcc
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

This was my wife and I's second visit to the Essex, and a memorable stay it was. The service was top notch and attentive. We had a small issue in the bathroom, which was rectified within 15 minutes by the hotels maintenance staff. There is plenty to do within walking distance, but everything that you need is at the the hotel, especially the restaurants. There are tow on the premises, The Amuse and the Tavern. No matter what you choose - you will not be disappointed.

My only real complaint was that we could have used another relaxing day! We will certainly be back again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essex
Stowe Mountain Lodge
Hilton Burlington
Hilton Burlington
#5 of 9 in Burlington
4.0 of 5 stars 1,228 reviews

Been to The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!