The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa
$134
TownePlace Suites Burlington Williston(Williston)(Great Value!)
$116
TownePlace Suites
$80
Fairfield Inn Burlington Williston(Williston)(Great Value!)
$95
Courtyard Burlington Williston(Williston)(Great Value!)
$134
Courtyard
Sonesta ES Suites Burlington(Williston)(Great Value!)
$109
Hotels.com
  • Pool
$94
QualityInn
Hampton Inn Burlington(Colchester)(Great Value!)
$139
1,518 results
All reviewscooking classculinary resortchef's tableculinary instituteoutlet malltavern restaurantmain buildingthe outdoor hot tubsteam roomtennis courtscouples massagegrounds are lovelyroom was largefitness centergreat weekendcookiesburlington area
Reviewed December 30, 2012

This resort was beautiful. The room we stayed in had two queen beds and lots of room to move. There was not much (drawer/closet) space for clothing but we didn't stay for too long so this wasn't a problem. The bathroom was a nice size and the shower was great! Two bathrobes were supplied for our use during our stay!!! The room was very comfortable - one of the nicest we have stayed in, in a long time. The property, in general, was stunning. The decor of the buildings was really nice ... everything was decorated for the holidays since we went in December, right after Christmas. There were Christmas trees, lit fireplaces and lots of ambiance. There was hot apple cider, coffee, tea, hot cocoa and homemade cookies throughout the day in the lobby. There was pastries and homemade bread for purchase in the lobby, as well, for a very nominal price. One day, there were chefs cooking in the lobby and food was provided to sample. We did not partonize the restaurants, culinary classes or spa but they all looked very nice. We actually were able to watch one of the culinary classes taking place and it was a two on one session and looked fantastic. The indoor pool was great. There were VERY large swimming lanes, plus enough room for kids to play. The outdoor hot tub was not functioning but we enjoyed it anyway. With snow on the ground, it was quite exhilirating to be in the hot water in our bathsuits outdoors. There was so much more to this property to enjoy but we had come during a major snow storm, we're not skiers and one of our children had the flu. We made the best of the trip and we LOVED it! We would highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We recently spent two nights at The Essex for a friend's wedding. We were in the red suite which was a nice size although the bathroom was small and made getting ready a little difficult. The room was clean, and although billed as a fireplace room, it had a small gas stove which was nice but not very charming.

While there we ate at the bar the first night and had two breakfasts at Amuse. The food at the hotel was pretty good, but I was slightly disappointed as we had such high hopes for a "culinary resort". The Bloody Mary was tomato juice and a lemon; I was expecting something a little more artisanal. I would however recommend the duck omelet which was delicious.

My wife got her wedding hair done at the resorts spa and it did come out very nice, they did get behind schedule but in their defense they were doing hair and makeup for quite a few ladies.

As far as value, I think the price was fair. We were charged a resort fee, which seemed a little odd being as everything was an additional charge and the pool was closed. I'm not sure what that fee gave us access to.

One final concern is that on the day we were checking out, housekeeping left the master key on a cabinet right outside our door. Anyone could have grabbed it and walked right into any of the guest rooms. I returned it to the front desk, but it didn't seem to be a big deal to the gentleman working. Who knows perhaps he was just putting on a poker face.

Room Tip: Fireplace rooms have small sealed gas fireplaces, dont expect a nice crackling Vermont fire.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 26, 2012

My boyfriend and I made reservations through a Groupon and were not disappointed. I took a cooking class one night with Chef Lawrence, who was AWESOME! I basically ended up with a private lesson as I was the only one registered and learned all about cooking with Vermont cheeses.

We ate at Amuse twice, and highly recommend the quail appetizer. Also, it was within close proximity to several ski resorts. We went skiing at Bolton Valley which had a special for $25 lift tickets (Happy Holidays discount price) ! The front desk has discounted tickets for Bolton Valley and Smuggler's Notch.

We went swimming in the indoor pool and relaxed in the hot tub outside with the snow falling. It was overall a very relaxing and picturesque pre-Christmas weekend getaway. We were very happy with our stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 25, 2012

We spent Christmas at the Essex this year. Though we came with high expectations, we are going home disappointed. We will not be returning.

A few surprising features of this four diamond resort include: 1. bath robe that is not only fleeced lined but also lined with hair from presumably the previous guests; 2. fake Christmas trees and decorations abound (this is VT! The land of Chrismas Trees!!); 3. water damaged furniture, stained carpet and leaky shower head with no water pressure in guest room; 4) thermostat fixed at 68 degrees; 5) cookies and tea time ran out in the first 2 hours.

The cooking lesson on Christmas Eve was fun and chef Cameron was organized and experienced. The rooms are clean and large. And the staff was fairly friendly and helpful. Though each room is charged 15 dollars per night resort fee, there is not much complimentary activities in the resort other than swimming. Not even bottled water, which will set you back $3.50.

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank ficklefreckles
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I go to Vermont often for small weekend getaways. This was one of the best hotels that I've stayed at. They went out of their way to help me with my requests to manage my children's sleeping arrangements. They even shipped back my son's sippy cup that we forgot in the room.
I don't leave reviews often on tripadvisor but I found our stay so exceptional that I had to reward this hotel for a great job. The restaurant was great, it's nice not to have to leave hotel in cold winter to get a nice meal. The Hotel itself was very comfortable and I felt at home. Thanks Essex Inn!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family