“Easy and delightful resort”

The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Essex
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We snapped up the Groupon for our stay, and had some friends do the same so we could spend a weekend together. It was lovely. The room was a good size, comfortable bed, good A/C, nice bathroom. We spent an afternoon in the pool and I loved being able to order drinks to the pool without it being obtrusive waiters coming around every 5 minutes. It was a busy pool day, but we still found some quiet and shaded space. We dined at Amuse and very much enjoyed it. Everything but the "air", which isn't my thing. I would have liked more public bench spaces outside. We had trouble finding a place to hang out together that wasn't in the restaurant or the lobby. In the end, we grabbed some sofas in the lobby, but it was a perfect night to sit outside, and there wasn't anywhere to go. An oversight for such a nice property.

The next night, after our friends went to bed early, we enjoyed the hot tub, the indoor pool (it was raining) and then got dessert from the case in the lobby (awesome thing!) and then retired to our room. It was a great vacation spot, and we would definitely return.

2  Thank TravelingSum

Reviewed August 25, 2012

I stayed at the Essex for a business conference and was very impressed. It is a beautiful facility with a wonderful indoor and outdoor pool and very well-kept grounds. The staff is very friendly, the food was outstanding, and my room was very nice. No complaints! I would stay here again if I have the opportunity! It is also conveniently close to the Burlington airport and Lake Champlain.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jeff J
Reviewed August 25, 2012

My husband and spent two nights at the Essex Inn. My first impression approaching the property was it looked like a big condo complex. The lobby is nice enough but more like a medium level chain hotel than a country inn. The standard room is very unimpressive, more like a motel than even a medium level hotel. The king sized bed was so uncomfortable, soft and sagging in the middle. The bath room is so small with no counter area. No mirror in the room save the one on the bathroom door. No safe in the room, no bathrobes, again a motel experience.

We did have dinner at the chef's table and that was a treat! The wait staff very attentive.

The staff at the desk are very inexperienced. I reported a unlit pathway in the garden with a dark step we both tripped on and the desk clerk looked at me like "why are you telling me this". While waiting to check out I over heard another desk clerk discussing the troubles a couple had with the 2 rooms they stayed in he commented "other than the disaster with the rooms did you have a nice time". I am certain the couple was looking for a better response than that.

Burlington is a great little city and we will visit again but will choose a better place than the Essex

3  Thank Woodmonters
Reviewed August 20, 2012

It was set on a beautiful, quiet piece of property with easy access to all that we needed to get to in the Burlington area.
Some of the hotel grounds need attention. Walkways / sidewalks have overgrown tree branches, gazebo needs repair, etc.
The hotel staff was friendly and professional. The tavern restaurant quality of service and food was very good. Loved the underground access from our hotel room in the next building to the restaurant, especially on the rainy day. Desserts on display and for sale in lobby was also a novelty for our kids.
I felt the hotel lacked in their attention to some details. Room service trays of food were in hallway all day long even after a couple of hotel staff had been down our hallway a few times over the course of the day. We had trouble with our room key twice during our stay. Outside garbage pails placed around property are small and often were overflowing by end of the day. They should have staff check them once during the day. We were happy to be able to bring our dog along, but wish there was a designated area to walk the dog so as not to bother other guests who may not want to be around other peoples pets.
The pools were perfect for our 2 younger children, the fire pit with Smores was a hit on Sat. night and the playground across the street was a bonus for my daughter.
I was a bit surprised by the $15. a night resort fee surcharge on top of the $25 a night pet fee. I wished that I had been made aware of these fees at check in time.
We would return to this hotel if we are in the area again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed at The Essex for two nights for a short getaway. The inn has a main building with two wings, thus it is much like a u shape. The main part is I believe the original building and I found that to be more charming than the wings. The room we stayed in, in the main building, was a fireplace suitel; which of course during the summer is not useful, but still added to the ambience of the room. The grounds were lovely, with herb gardens and flowers. Most of the herbs used at the restaurant are grown on the premises. They even have their own chickens! Thre is an indoor pool and spa (which we did not use) and a nice outdoor pool, which would be great for little ones. They also have bikes that can be borrowed by the guests and tennis courts. The staff was very helpful and friendly.

We had dinner at Amuse at the chef's table. Very enjoyable. One can have wine pairings with the dinner. The next night we took a cooking class, which we very much enjoyed. Get one glass of wine and can purchase a bottle additionally. Decent and reasonable wine selection. We had a voucher for a continental breakfast or credit towards full breakfast with our pkg. After eating the big meals at dinner, the continental was just right - the muesli they serve was delicious as were the pastries.

Not much to do in Essex itself except that there is a small factory outlet mall. A rock climbing outfit is located right next to The Essex, which might be of interest to some. There are biking trails nearby.

All in all, it was a relaxing, fun weekend and would definitely consider returning, might even return with entire family next time!

Room Tip: We stayed by the pool and it was not too loud at all.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2012

My husband and I just came back from a 3-day tennis vacation at the Essex resort. It was amazing! When we arrived we were assigned apparently one of the nicest rooms in the resort, which was well appreciated of course. I can't say for the the regular rooms but the one-bedroom fireplace suite was great! We played tennis for three days, with Anders and Dave coaching us. It's been a pleasure improving our technique with them. They were very helpful and friendly, and they provided a high quality instruction while also adapting to everyone's level. Thanks to both of them! The group was fun and we had a wonderful time. The weather was really hot, and the restaurant staff brought us fresh beverages and fruits everyday day. This was much appreciated. At lunchtime the service at the Tavern was quick so that we could go back on the courts after an hour. Food was amazing all over the resort. Amuse offers gastronomic meals while atmosphere at the Tavern is more relaxed. The food at both restaurants was excellent and ingredients so fresh and healthy! We attended a cooking class on the last day that was very enjoyable. The grounds are well maintained. We enjoyed the pools, hot tub and spa. Spa facilities are simply perfect. If you are looking for great outdoor vacation, spa facilities to relax after a trainig day and amazing food, that's your place!

1  Thank Caroline C
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stayed at the Essex for two nights, and really enjoyed it. Lovely grounds, with indoor and outdoor pools, tennis, a big spa, walking trails and golf, too.
We enjoyed "the Amusing Hour", which was a pre-dinner hors d'euvres and drink event with the master chef. Dinner at the hotel restaurant, Amuse, was wonderful. And I did see a family enjoying the "Chef's Table", where you are in a private kitchen/dining room with the chef, watching, learning and helping him prepare your dinner. Looked like a great thing to do.
There aren't any other restaurants nearby unless you go the 20 min. or so into Burlington, (where there are plenty) so our second night we went to the less formal Tavern in the hotel - more relaxed, and very good, too.
Clearly, they do a lot of weddings and small conferences here, and I suspect they do both well. Lots of nice amenities, from bathroom toiletries to plenty of clean towels by the pool. Good sized rooms, great TV, Ipad docks, nice hammocks around the grounds, and everything clean.
The only thing I found odd was that, at check-in, the woman told us that the front desk would automatically apply a 20% tip to our Amuse dinner total, so not to add it ourselves. So the second night, when presented with our dinner bill in the Tavern, we had to ask if this auto-gratuity was done there, too. It wasn't. I just thought it was a convoluted system, since first the front desk had to explain it to us, clearly in response to others finding out they had added a tip in the usual way, onto the dinner bill, and then finding out it was added again at the front desk. Strange, and I don't see the point.
This hotel is in a beautiful part of Vermont, and you'll se lots of mountain scenery getting there, and you will be close to Lake Champlain, which is also beautiful. The hotel does not have any scenic vistas, though, which surprised me. But just enjoy the hotel grounds, pools, spa and good food, and you will have a nice stay. Friendly staff, and dog-friendly too, which is great.

1  Thank MJP-22
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essex
Stowe Mountain Lodge
#5 of 24 in Stowe
Hilton Burlington
Hilton Burlington
#5 of 8 in Burlington

Been to The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!