“So Vermont, great golf package”

The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Essex
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 6, 2011

We were very pleased with our vacation at the Essex. It is so quaint, and also very friendly. The grounds are lovely, the golf is across the street and they let you go there with a borrowed golf cart. The bonfire every Sat. night, the close proximity to Burlington Church Street and the Marina - the shopping outlets are walking distance, and there is a movie theater also walking distance to the Essex. Many activities and spa features but all at an extra price. It was very peaceful. The rooms are very comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,485)

Reviewed September 6, 2011

We stayed here for one night September 1st in 'The Mansion'. Loved the clay tennis courts that you can play on any time they're aren't lessions going on. Also enjoyed the lap pool and outdoor hot tub. The staff was great and I slept really well. Desserts in the lobby are awesome and well priced. They will pack them to go as well.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2011

We enjoyed a very relaxing week at The Essex and plan to return next year. The staff are uniformly friendly and helpful, our suite was very comfortable, the food at Amuse is creative and delicious, and there are amenities for everyone - pools and hot tub, hammocks for lounging and reading, tennis, a spa, golf, and on and on. We did not use the spa or take a cooking class, but we likely would have if we had stayed longer. There is a shopping centre with cinemas nearby if you are looking to take in a movie. Mornings were quiet, for those of us who like to sleep in, and you can get breakfast late - heaven!

Reviewed September 4, 2011

I got the room for $128 off hotwire. For that price it was pretty nice. Everything was very clean. The grounds are pretty. The furnishings in the rooms and molding and carpeting could use a little updating. The front desk staff was nice. The cookies and lemonade in the lounge were delightful and on Friday one of the chefs was making peach crepes in the lobby which were incredible.

As per some of the other reviews, I asked on check-in if I could have a room with a newer mattress and the front desk changed the room I was supposed to be in. The mattress was very very soft, but I like that so I slept well.

All good so far. Then things started getting pricey. Spa prices were very expensive, I didn't see any discount for guests nor did the spa tell us of one. After a long day my fiance and I split a burger, salad, and beer in the tavern - $30 for so so food. It would have been nice if the server told us there was a split plate charge, because we would have been fine eating off each other's plates. The next night we skipped the tavern food but brought drinks back to our room - of course the bartender chose to use top shelf liquor. Then we rented a late night movie - Bridesmaids - $17.99. We also got the opera cake from the lobby which looked great and wasn't overpriced but also wasn't worth it - highly disappointing.

We were about a 15 minute drive from Burlington. I would only stay here again if I could get the room for the same price.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Lots to do in the area, but also a great place to just relax and do nothing. The spa is fantastic, I highly recommend it. The food at both restaurants was fantastic. Everyone was very pleasant and helpful. The room was very nice and the bed very comfortable. I loved the set up of the Resort. It was just a perfect 4 days.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the outdoor pool which was very nice.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 28, 2011

the customer service was great. It was clean and our room was spacious. The hot tub and pools were very nice. We got a deal on the room, and thought it was worth every penny - had a great stay!

Reviewed August 25, 2011

Well we were given a room on the third floor of the mansion. The air conditioner just blew air not in the least bit cool. We opened the window, sweat all night. We mentioned it at the main desk, within a few minutes a plumber said it was all frozen up. He got it working. Then it started making really loud noises. They then upgraded our room (which was very spacious and gorgous! They said that it was a major job to fix the noise. I called down to the desk a few hours later because I hed lost my glasses. They said they couldn't check the old room because it was rented to someone else! Needless to say I found my glasses. Done with the negative, The conference and food was amazing! The food servers were attending to everyones needs. The towels were nice new and luxurious. There were lots of pillows. Dont drink the bottled water in the room without expecting to pay for it. The pool facilities were very nice. I went out to see the hot tub, I thought it looked green, just then a man came out with a bottle of bleach, Yeah I was ready to soak in bleach?? I was just wondering about the "greeness" of the resort. There were regular light bulbs being used.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Michele S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essex
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Hilton Burlington
Hilton Burlington
#5 of 8 in Burlington
Sun & Ski Inn and Suites

Been to The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!