“Squire House in fall colors”
Review of Squire House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dorset
Squire House
Ranked #3 of 7 Dorset B&B and Inns
Williamsburg
“Squire House in fall colors”
Reviewed October 11, 2008

Beautifully appoinited B&B with outstanding breakfasts and personable hosts. We were guests for 3 nights and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. It is close to many attractions and now in the center of beautiful leaf colors!
We live in Virginia and have stayed in many B&Bs in our travels and found the Squire House to be our best experience.
We will return soon.

• Liked — Quiet and reserved elegance with great common rooms/den/libaray and the breakfasts.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Florida
Reviewed August 19, 2008

Wonderfully secluded--yet not far from the cute village of Dorset. Squires House is a bed & breakfast in the finest tradition of Vermont hospitality.
Filled with period antiques amid a few classy reproductions, hosts Roger and Gay Squires start the day off with a full course breakfast; one day pancakes with maple syrup, next day a vegetable-egg fritatta, and always with fresh fruit, juices (and their home-made granola blend.

Our room was with a queen 4-post bed, and it was very large. Somewhat atypical for Vermont, the Inn had air conditioning, which came in handy for the brief hot spell during our August stay.

It's elegant and fairly formal, but there's a relaxed air that made our stay with family and friends just right. And as long time locals, Roger and Gay are filled with recommendations as to where to go shopping in nearby Manchester (12-15 minutes away), or for dining options.

Squires House is a great base from which to explore, and if you're just content to laze away on the front porch (or I imagine in front of the fireplace in the colder months); you'll enjoy your stay just as well. I know we look forward to returning next year!

• Liked — wonderful views of beautiful grounds from bedroom windows
  • Disliked — internet access in Dorset
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Greenwich
Reviewed August 6, 2008

The Inn provided the perfect getaway for a long weekend of cycling, hiking, dining and touring the Vermont countryside. We even had a refreshing dip in the local swimming hole (an old quarry) and a rousing game of croquet on the grounds of the Inn. The house is spacious and accommodating with plenty of room for guests to feel completely at home. Bedrooms and baths were very comfortable, lots of room and creature comforts. Mornings were a time for great coffee and a hot breakfast or the wonderful homemade granola. The hosts (Roger and Gay) could not have been more welcoming to us. Part of the pleasure of our stay was their warmth and friendliness...

• Liked — Charm of old stately house and friendliness of hosts
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
new jersey
Reviewed February 19, 2008

Who says Dad's never get it right? Once a year I take one of our three children on a weekend trip while my wife stays home with the other two. This year I took my 12yr old son skiing in Vermont. Having last visited Squire House in March '04 with the whole family I knew this would be the perfect setting for father & son.

Host Roger Squire greeted us with a warm "welcome back!" and looking at my son said "and you, young man, have grown like a weed". We all laughed, realizing how quickly time goes by. He proceeded to take us to our room (they are all fabulous) while providing us with the latest weather/ski report. My son said "oh, cool Dad" as he discovered an inflated mattress with sleeping bag & pillow all set up along the wall across from our bed (er, Dad's bed). And my son quickly discovered the small flat screen tv that sat on the dresser. Next thing I knew we were watching the History Channel (he gets that from his mom!).

Gay prepared absolutely delicious breakfasts (gotta tell Mom about this!) that got our days off to a great start. The skiing was cold, to say the least, but we knew "home" was just around the mountain. Dorset is a picture perfect town that quite simply removes you from the unwanted crowds of Manchester.

Our last evening at Squire House was a 10. After a fun day of skiing we had dinner in the Tavern at the Dorset Inn (worth the trip should be staying in Manchester). Noonie, our waitress, is a treasure. We returned to Squire House to watch Entrapment with Sean Connery in front of a fire. As we settled in, Roger offered me a beer (does it get any better than this?!) and my son popcorn. "Dad, we should do this guy stuff more often", my son said as we headed to bed.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank reedmont
Northwestern CT
Reviewed February 11, 2008

We had never stayed at any B&B before our recent pre-Valentine's/ski weekend. While my main criteria were that a room with a fireplace be found within reasonable driving distance from the area ski slopes, I had no idea that our first experience at a B&B would be so warm, welcoming, and relaxing.

As many others have mentioned, the grounds and house are gorgeous. We benefited from a fresh blanket of snow covering everything upon our arrival, but Roger had the long driveway cleared and he greeted us warmly at the door. Upon our return from a late dinner, our bed had been turned down and the bed warmers were turned up, ensuring us a comfortable and cozy night of sleep.

To say the three-course breakfast is fantastic would be an understatement, and if you are a fan of granola I would definitely recommend trying their homemade offering if you aren't too full. After chatting with Roger and Gay for a bit, we set off for Stratton with new directions and a borrowed atlas in hand, provided by Roger) to circumvent the morning traffic in Manchester. When we returned, we had intended to unwind from a hard day of skiing by napping, but Gay's offer of tea by a roaring fire in one of the common rooms was even more enticing. While the nap might have been nice, settling in with a book, tea, and classical music by the fireplace was even more relaxing and rejuvenating. From time to time Roger or Gay would stop in and make sure everything was going well and also to chat for a bit. The fire was so enjoyable, that after returning from dinner we took advantage of the fireplace in our room (pre-stocked and only needing to be lit) and enjoyed a few more twilight hours by the fire before retiring.

By the end of our two night stay, we felt more like we had been family guests at their home, instead of just random strangers who booked a room for the weekend. I will definitely be going back next time we plan weekend of skiing, or even if we just want some time to relax.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jamesandclaire
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed January 3, 2008

I just spent a few nights at the Squire House in Dorset, Vermont. I was blown away by the post card setting, the long driveway to the grand house, and the evening lights glowing over the snowy landscape. Inside it was absolutely first class with library, cozy living rooms, two wood-burning fireplaces, high ceilings, antique furnishings, paintings and most of all, warmth.

The bedrooms were similarly impressive...huge, comfortable, New Englandy rooms (with WiFi & cable TV), and windows galore. I won't mention the perfect breakfasts that are served on the massive dining room table because words cannot describe them very well.

With the gracious welcome from the owners Roger and Gay, I have to say that the Squire House is the finest lodging I have ever had the pleasure of staying in. John Woodruff residing in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

• Liked — Everything.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JohnEastman
New Jersey
Reviewed December 17, 2007

From the time I booked our long weekend to the moment it ended I never stressed for a minute. My girlfriend and I were on a tight budget, we wanted to be on the outskirts of a town with a feeling of seclusion, and we didn't want to worry about anything the entire weekend. Gay and Roger Squire made our first B&B experience one to reflect on for years to come. We got a great deal, we ate exceptionally well begging Gay for the recipes each morning (she happily agreed), and the property was peacefully located on 11 acres only 6 miles from the bustle of Manchester Village and several miles from the pristine Merck Forest. Great all around experience! Ask for the Squire House Pancakes and the homemade granola and the David Ayer's Pancake and the...I could go on and on!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bed
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dougywalden
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorset
Manchester View
#1 of 7 in Dorset
The Dorset Inn
The Dorset Inn
#2 of 7 in Dorset

Been to Squire House? Share your experiences!