“Wonderful Alternative to Busy Manchester”
Review of The Dorset Inn

The Dorset Inn
Ranked #3 of 7 Dorset B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 28, 2010

We stayed at the Dorset for several days while attending a wedding weekend in nearby Manchester, VT. We gloried in the quiet charm of both the inn and the little town, especially after experiencing the traffic in Manchester. Dorset's staff is very accommodating, responding to all requests with smiles and immediate attention. Ask for the large corner room upstairs named "Cephus" -- it overlooks the village green. Breakfast was included, with several good choices each morning.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 15, 2010

This is a special place in a special location of Vermont. It is close to Manchester, where all of the outlets are, and one of the best bookstores around, Northshire. You could spend a day there. The inn is small and very cozy, probably 20-30 rooms in total. Some of the floorboards are crooked as the building is over 200 years old, but don't worry, it has had multiple renovations. The beds are comfy and the staff couldn't have been nicer. Very accommodating, and the tavern for breakfast is a treat. Cinnamon french toast, eggs and all sorts of things await you. Note: If you do have a room facing the "green" (small strip of grass), it can get noisy. For a very small town, there are an awful lot of trucks, but in the summertime people can be outside as well. Hopefully, this will not bother you, but if you can, try to request a room in the back as the street can get quite busy. Great atmosphere, and this is the spot to be in Vermont, Manchester is a gem. Try to drive up Mt. Equinox or take in some of the sights, but either way, you're sure to have a good time.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Brotsy
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Staff was very helpful in accomodating our party, including children, with 3 rooms close together. The inn is extremely clean with large rooms and bathrooms and comfortable bedding. We ate both dinner and breakfast at the inn and both meals were terrific. Grounds are beautiful and staff is wonderful!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 3, 2010

Dorset Inn is a lovely 200 year old structure and is not large therefore not noisy. The rooms are clean, the restaurant is excellent and the package deals they offer are generous. The room we had was on rt. 30 so a bit noisy overnight with traffic sounds. Nice to have an open window rather than AC but we had to close the window which made it better but still somewhat noisy, nonetheless, I would recommend this inn to anyone traveling the Vermont area.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2010

We were looking for a place to spend our 40th Anniversary and came across the Dorset Inn. It looked wonderful online and the Romantic package seemed to be exactly what we were looking for. Our decision to book the weekend was made solely on the information we saw on their web site. It was a risk but looking at other reviews on this site we decided to give it a try. From the time that I called until we left, we could not have been happier with the service and our stay. They made reservations for a sleigh ride that we wanted to take, our dinner reservations, massages, and even our skimobile excursion. They made sure that everything was taken care of. The suite was beautiful and exactly what you see on the website with a few pleasant surprises. They have put a lot into "personal touches" that make all the difference. The food was awesome! The staff was great. The massage was one of the best I have experienced. The only down side to the entire weekend was that we had to leave! We will definately return and have recommended the Dorset Inn to friends and family.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2010

I live in the DC area and am a frequent traveler to Vermont. I have visited the Manchester and Dorset area several times. The Dorset Inn is very charming - located in a small village just a few miles from Manchester. I visited here most recently in the last week of 2009.

The bar atmosphere is wonderful, and I especially like the Ploughman's platter - the cheese selection and pate is excellent. I also had a great Mediterranean salad, and salmon (I think it was a daily special), and would recommend both. The ginger-carrot bisque is very good, as are the sweet potato fritters (exceptional!). The latter is good as dessert as well! The bar tender is very friendly. I had some friends join me for a bit and we had a great evening hanging out. On another night I sat in the dining room, which was equally nice and comfortable. We had lunch one day - great spinach salad, and great Bloody Marys!

This Inn is pet-friendly, and I understand the owner's have labs, although I did not see their labs there. There was another family there with a dog/puppy in the bar area that everyone was crooning over. That being said, the place is not overwhelmed with pets, but appropriately pet "friendly."

I scheduled both a massage and a facial, and I have to say, the facial was one of the best I've had. The massage was great as well, but the facial really stood out as exceptional. I ended up buying one of the products (which I never do) and have been using it ever since - I love it (a pumice scrub).

I also sat on the sofa by the fire and read a magazine one afternoon - and enjoyed homemade cookies and tea. It was so cozy and comfortable, I actually dozed off ...

In summary, I would highly recommend the Dorset Inn!

• Stayed: December 2009
Reviewed January 18, 2010

The Dorset Inn is located on the Green in the village of Dorset & came under the recommendation of a fellow chef who works in the Manchester-Dorset area. Upon entering the Inn you are greeted by the staff warmly & honestly. We arrived a little early for dinner and was given a tour of the Inn & kitchen by the owner, Steve. After our tour, we had a little extra time to wait and was shown into the tavern for an adult-beverage & some great conversation with fellow travelers & locals. Dinner was served in the main dining room (you can request to eat in the tavern side, both are well appointed & sever-friendly). Dinner was outstanding without being fussy or pretentious; well cooked and thoughtfully plated starters & entrees. The servers were never overbearing or m.i.a; attentive & friendly without being an actual part of our dining conversation. Would I ever go back? Youbetcha! Recommend it to others? [--] Straight!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank da_cowboychef
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorset
Manchester View
The Marble West Inn
The Marble West Inn
#4 of 7 in Dorset
The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa

Been to The Dorset Inn? Share your experiences!