“Great Vermont Inn Experience”
Review of The Dorset Inn

The Dorset Inn
Ranked #3 of 7 Dorset B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 3, 2010

I live in the DC area and am a frequent traveler to Vermont. I have visited the Manchester and Dorset area several times. The Dorset Inn is very charming - located in a small village just a few miles from Manchester. I visited here most recently in the last week of 2009.

The bar atmosphere is wonderful, and I especially like the Ploughman's platter - the cheese selection and pate is excellent. I also had a great Mediterranean salad, and salmon (I think it was a daily special), and would recommend both. The ginger-carrot bisque is very good, as are the sweet potato fritters (exceptional!). The latter is good as dessert as well! The bar tender is very friendly. I had some friends join me for a bit and we had a great evening hanging out. On another night I sat in the dining room, which was equally nice and comfortable. We had lunch one day - great spinach salad, and great Bloody Marys!

This Inn is pet-friendly, and I understand the owner's have labs, although I did not see their labs there. There was another family there with a dog/puppy in the bar area that everyone was crooning over. That being said, the place is not overwhelmed with pets, but appropriately pet "friendly."

I scheduled both a massage and a facial, and I have to say, the facial was one of the best I've had. The massage was great as well, but the facial really stood out as exceptional. I ended up buying one of the products (which I never do) and have been using it ever since - I love it (a pumice scrub).

I also sat on the sofa by the fire and read a magazine one afternoon - and enjoyed homemade cookies and tea. It was so cozy and comfortable, I actually dozed off ...

In summary, I would highly recommend the Dorset Inn!

• Stayed: December 2009

Reviewed January 18, 2010

The Dorset Inn is located on the Green in the village of Dorset & came under the recommendation of a fellow chef who works in the Manchester-Dorset area. Upon entering the Inn you are greeted by the staff warmly & honestly. We arrived a little early for dinner and was given a tour of the Inn & kitchen by the owner, Steve. After our tour, we had a little extra time to wait and was shown into the tavern for an adult-beverage & some great conversation with fellow travelers & locals. Dinner was served in the main dining room (you can request to eat in the tavern side, both are well appointed & sever-friendly). Dinner was outstanding without being fussy or pretentious; well cooked and thoughtfully plated starters & entrees. The servers were never overbearing or m.i.a; attentive & friendly without being an actual part of our dining conversation. Would I ever go back? Youbetcha! Recommend it to others? [--] Straight!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank da_cowboychef
Reviewed December 21, 2009

My title says it all... We are locals and this place is outstanding!! The food is always spot on and the service is very attentive and outstanding. This is a must experiance place while in the area or even well worth a ride in for dinner. Perfect place to relax by the fire and enjoy great food and wine...

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 11, 2009

We stayed three nights at this classic inn and enjoyed the cozy atmosphere, the warm fireplace, the friendliness of the staff. Our king size bed was one of the most comfortable we've slept in. The chef at the restaurant prepares outstanding dishes, including the vegetarian ones.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2009

In the sixteen years that we have enjoyed this inn, our most recent experience was the best. The Inn has been updated without losing quaintness, and the meals have never been better. Service is excellent from the front desk to the wait staff to the bartender. Very much look forward to returning to this charming village and inn.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2009

We just returned from an overnight at the Dorset Inn. From the moment we walked in the door it was obvious this was the perfect pick for us. The room was absolutely beautiful and wonderfully decorated. We had dinner in the Tavern and the food was amazing. Every staff member was terrific - not stuffy and with a great sense of humor! We didn't realize breakfast was included, so it was a pleasant surprise. Not to mention the best breakfast we've had in quite some time. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2009

I visited the Dorset Inn last Monday night with my associates for a business retreat. While we accomplished a great deal during our meeting, we could not help enjoying ourselves immensely along the way.

The Inn has been vastly improved since the new owners, Steven and Lauren Bryant took over last year. Frankly its amazing how much they have done in such a short period of time. In addition to the numerous repairs and painting (their maintenance person must have worked 24-7 for the past year), the upgrades in the furnishings and the decor give the Inn a renewed warm and welcoming ambiance. The tradition is still there, but the improvements offer a cleaner and more pleasant environment than existed during the previous ownership. The focus on the guest rooms can really be felt.

Dinner was another pleasant surprise. The food was both simple and well prepared; exactly what you'd expect from an historic Vermont Inn, in my opinion The service was also relaxed and friendly, some of the servers having been there for 20+ years. If you are hoping for elegant and professional, however, this is probably not your Inn.

I do try to point out faults where I can find them, but as Tuesday morning was as spectacular a VT summer day as you will find, it was difficult to find a criticism. We sat outside and had breakfast in the morning and continued our meeting over a full country breakfast, good coffee and fresh baked pastries. I guess next time I go, I will have to make more of an effort to find some of the negatives.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorset
Manchester View
The Marble West Inn
The Marble West Inn
#4 of 7 in Dorset
The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa

Been to The Dorset Inn? Share your experiences!