“A perfectly delightful place to stay, dine and step back in time!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Dorset Inn

The Dorset Inn
Ranked #2 of 7 Dorset B&B and Inns
Walpole, Massachusetts
“A perfectly delightful place to stay, dine and step back in time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Dorset Inn this past weekend in celebration of an anniversary. The Inn was established in 1796 and the preservation of this historic treasure is just beautiful. From the tavern to enjoy a cocktail, to the dining room for a lovely and delicious dinner prepared with all locally sourced ingredients were absolutely wonderful. Our room was comfortable and lovely. The staff were all gracious, welcoming and the hospitality abundant.

We enjoyed every aspect of our stay and look forward to a return visit in the uture.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dorsetinnkeeper, Owner at The Dorset Inn, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
We are so happy that you chose to spend your anniversary with us...we know you have many beautiful Inns to choose from in New England. We are delighted that we met or exceeded your expectations and we look forward to having you visit us again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

I originally booked a stand-alone cottage suite at The Barrows House down the road from The Dorset Inn. Based in the picture of this particular suite, I was really looking forward to spending two nights at Barrows House. The morning of check-in, I received a call from the front desk staff at Barrows telling me that I would not be comfortable staying there due to recent rain and ongoing construction/renovations, however, they would be passing along my info to the folks at Dorset Inn, under the same management. I did get what I paid for. All amenities were comparable to the original suite I booked, breakfast was great, and I got the scenic getaway I was looking for. I simply do not understand why, judging by the state of disarray at Barrows House as I drove by, I was promised a certain room when I booked two weeks ahead of time, yet was given a different room... on the morning of my stay... At a different inn. Obviously it was too late to change plans, as I was preparing to head to Vermont in a few hours. I would have really appreciated KNOWING that I would not be getting the suite I had sought after, and visualized for the days leading up to my trip. From the sight of The Barrows House, there is absolutely no way that management could have anticipated being in a state to accept guests. While I enjoyed my stay at The Dorset Inn, I really value when an establishment can be forthright enough to say, "Hey, this is not going to work right now, but how about this?" I would have felt respected if I had more notice and say in the matter. That being said, everything was great, except the Jacuzzi was not the corner model I had originally anticipated. Instead, it was an AirTub with annoying bubbles, not jets. That thing makes so much noise, and the water goes everywhere. All in all, not a bad stay.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank AmandaMis
Dorsetinnkeeper, Owner at The Dorset Inn, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write of your experience with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed The Dorset Inn and all that we have to offer. Please know that it was always our intention to have The Barrows House renovations at least to a point where there would be minimal, if any, inconvenience for our guests there. However, as with any construction project dependent upon deliveries, workmen and weather, there were unexpected delays. Therefore we felt it our best option to have you stay at The Dorset Inn in one of our larger luxury suites - a significant upgrade. It is always our intention to provide our guests with the best possible experience. After all is said and done this is not a problem that our guests will ever have to contend with again as the renovations will be complete within the next couple of weeks and the Inn will be beautiful, the rooms all renovated or refreshed and the restaurant up and running. We do hope you will visit us again soon -- at either property!
Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights over Memorial Day weekend. Our room was small (18) but comfortable. The Inn staff was friendly and the breakfast both mornings was excellent. I would return if I were in this area again. The nearby Manchester outlets were excellent.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DiamondSpark
trabuco Can
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We had a wonderful experience at the Inn - a 2-might stay in mid-May. Charming, clean, and in fabulous condition given its age. Very well taken care of. Lovely staff. The complete breakfast was delicious with very varied choices and daily omelet and French toast specials. I enjoyed the special omelet each morning. We had 2 dinners and both were delicious with local produce and other products. The food was reasonably priced for the level of service, location, presentation, and quality. Would definitely stay again and highly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not facing Rt. 30.
new york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

We stayed on Thursday evening Pre- Memorial Day weekend for one night. Checked in around 6:00 pm and was upgraded complimentary. Stayed in Metawee room which was fine. King bed, big bath with jacuzzi and powerful rain shower. Very quiet room which I had requested in advance. Room A/C provided light noise. Very quiet stay-not sure I would stay again in busy season as I think the intimacy would be lost. We had a Groupon deal for 110.00 including breakfast and thought it was a steal of a deal. Dinner in the Tavern was excellent, pricey but excellent quality. Breakfast was also wonderful and tasty. General Store across the street is worth checking out for fun foodie items. Would return only in off season as I think this Inn would feel crowded in prime season. Look for a Groupon Deal to get your value vacation.

Room Tip: ask for a room that is not front of Rt 30.
Auburn, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

Well maybe. It is a wonderful Inn, with all the charm you could ask for. The people are great the location is great (albeit a bit out of the way).

I'm a light sleeper, which meant, staying if a front room - which is roadside, wasn't great for me. Now I should note, the there isn't a ton of traffic in Dorset, but enough.

Our room was clean, comfortable with a nice view of maine street, which we could enjoy should we choose to, from the comfort of the window sill bench.

We took a few nice walks around the area at night, and got to enjoy a TON of lilacs blooming.

Room Tip: Other then sleep as far away from the road, I can't think of anything to worry about.
Dobbs Ferry, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

I love Dorset, VT! Let's get that straight! The perfect town with plenty to do for all walks of life and of all ages. This has been my fourth visit in as many years, and I have grown to love everything Dorset has to offer. Of all my visits this has been the most disappointing. I hate to say it but it was a total let down, and it almost had nothing to do with Dorset Inn but it had everything to do with the Inn.

My girlfriend and I were booked into a room that faced Route 30 and had NO air conditioning. So it was two huge strikes against the place. Let me tell you the vehicular traffic was so horrific and unnameable that my girlfriend and I were completely sleep deprived for most of our trip we drove 4 hours to be. And we drove this far to escape the never ending noise of NYC! We at one point laughed about just packing up and leaving to go home because it was quieter at home which is NOT supposed to be the case.

In addition, it's May and it's getting warmer. Although the nights in VT are still cool, for some reason the Inn itself is incredibly warm! I could not believe we were not placed in an AC room as we're saw some were vacant. We felt a bit like second class citizens. We were disappointed to say the least.

All in all the Inn is beautiful and accommodating. The rooms are clean, neat, and organized. The room furniture all makes sense, and the bathrooms are bright and updated.

Lastly, we had an enjoyable dinner one night and two delicious breakfasts although the morning staff could be a bit more attentive.

We are a couple who doesn't ever expect much coming from NYC where everything is lacking, but when I go outside of NYC I expect so much more. Especially when being charged NYC prices.

Room Tip: Stay away from the Route 30 side of the building and get a room with AC during the late spring and s...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank TPM17
Dorsetinnkeeper, Owner at The Dorset Inn, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your latest experience. Please be assured that we have done our utmost to make the guest rooms as quiet as possible with new windows and insulation. However, in the spring, when the windows are open, there is nothing we can do about the traffic. If you had mentioned this to the Front Desk before checkout, we would have been most happy to move you to a different room if there was a quieter one available. We are always happy to do that. We would have also been happy to put an a/c in your room upon request. Vermont is a fickle state when it comes to weather and we had many nights of frost in May so the heat often catches us by surprise. We don't ever want anyone to feel "second class" and we are always happy and willing to fix whatever problems may arise during one's stay. We do hope you will visit us again for a country getaway and let us provide you with a first class experience.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorset
Kimpton Taconic Hotel
#1 of 7 in Dorset
Palmer House
Palmer House
#6 of 15 in Manchester

Been to The Dorset Inn? Share your experiences!