The Dorset Inn
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Marbledge Lodge(East Dorset)(Great Value!)
$88
The INN at Willow Pond(Manchester)(Great Value!)
$199
Four Winds Country Motel(Manchester)(Great Value!)
$85
Olympia Lodge(Manchester)(Great Value!)
$115
Hotels.com
The Stamford Motel & Restaurant(Manchester)(Great Value!)
$120
Manchester View(Manchester)(Great Value!)
$99
Casablanca Motel(Manchester)(Great Value!)
$109
Aspen at Manchester(Manchester)(Great Value!)
$83
Agoda.com
Palmer House(Manchester)(Great Value!)
$99
$76
Hampton Inn & Suites Manchester(Manchester)(Great Value!)
$132
Hampton.com
All reviewsnew englandliving roomthe bread puddinggeneral storebreakfast was includedcrackling firewinter weekendcountry breakfastincluded in the room ratethird floorcommon areasjacuzzi tubboth morningsgas fireplacewedding partyfront porchspent two nights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 20, 2008

The Dorset Inn is located in the picture-postcard village of Dorset. Dorset is extremely small and extremely charming. The Dorset Inn is historic - being the longest running inn in all Vermont. Unfortunately, I don't believe it's been refurbished in the last 100 years. It is lovely old building, but the rooms are beat. The beds are shot and the furniture is thrift store. The bathrooms are tiny with fixtures and finishes you would expect in a third rate walk up dive.
However, the restaurant was charming and the food was outstanding. If you can put up with the terrible rooms, and general beat up appearance, it is a truly charming place. And the dining was excellent. I would rate the rooms a 1 and the dining a 5 - so it evens out.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
4  Thank Stanleyps
Reviewed December 6, 2006

Very Charming, friendly staff, close to Stratton and Bromley, quaint town, excellent food, clean and simple rooms.

• Stayed: December 2003, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tcullen1982
Reviewed October 31, 2006

MY husband and I have been traveling to New England every fall for 29 years...so, we have had considerable experience with a wide variety of hotels, B & B's and inns. This year, for the first time, we brought another couple with us to enjoy this special season. Unfortunately, the Dorset Inn experience ranks as one of the worst ....from a comfort, value and customer service perspective.
The rooms, at $225/night are small, but that is not our complaint. This was October and I noticed that the window was propped open with a book; I immediately adjusted the thermostat in the room to 65, just in case....turns out it didn't make any difference, and at 2 a.m. the room was sweltering hot. I managed to find yet another taller book to prop the window even more. Our friends had no such luck, because at 2 am, they encountered a very balky window which barely opened.
Not having had the most restful sleep, a warm shower is really a necessity. Unfortunately, there was not enough hot water for everyone to enjoy that basic service---two of the four of us were left in the cold.
We've traveled enough to know that ranting is not effective and so we quietly approached the manager about the two problems we encountered. Her response: "The thermostat is really tuned to the hallway and not individual rooms" and "when the Inn is full, as it was last night, we often don't have enough hot water for everyone to take a shower"!!! Excuse me?? Is there any plan to rectify this? Could you express a little regret that the rooms were boiling hot and the showers were frigid? Save your money and go elsewhere...that kind of service is inexcusable. I recommend the Three Seasons B &B in Stoddard New Hampshire...great hospitality, attention to all details and great meals.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with friends
8  Thank cbtrav
Reviewed June 25, 2006

My boyfriend and I have stayed at the Dorset Inn twice...and it is actually where we had our first date...we absolutely love it, not just because of the great memories it has for us, but because of the amazing charm of the Inn and the warm feeling you have when you walk in the door. The rooms are lovely...honestly, they are nothing special but they are all clean and comfortable and well decorated. The real appeal of the Inn is the downstairs living rooms (one with a wonderful fireplace), the beautiful old bar, and the outstanding breakfast. You can pick whatever you'd like off the Inn's full breakfast menu, and every item is made fresh with local ingredients. I'd HIGHLY recommend eating dinner one night at the Inn as well. For a relaxing weekend of great food in a great old Inn near Manchester, the Dorset is #1.

Stayed: October 2005
3  Thank NewJerseyAmyj
A TripAdvisor Member
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed June 25, 2006

I found the Dorset Inn to be very overpriced for the quality of the rooms, with mixed service. Although the Inn was virtually empty when we arrived, we were given a room w/a queen bed on the third floor, at the very end of the hallway. Sort of the end of the world in that place - where you'd put unloved relatives, you know? The room was dingy and small. It appears that other queen rooms may not have been rented for that night, but were taken for later in the weekend (we arrived Fri), but other, nicer rooms, with a double bed were not even offered to us as an option (perhaps the booking party believed that the size of the bed outweighed all other variables - it didn't). Now, perhaps I had overly-high expectations, but the price of the room, $175/night, helped to raise the bar. We ultimately were allowed to move to a double-sized room in a nicer location with a similarly small (perhaps smaller) room, but which was a bit brighter and sunnier. I must add that the following day another couple were on a similar search for a new room as they, too, were clearly unhappy w/the room given them and were allowed to select from other available rooms. The woman who helped us in that regard - Catherine? - was very nice and friendly. She also helped us w/some other issues. However, there were a few dead flies in the bathtub - apparently no one had ensured that all was clean in all available rooms. Also, while the water pressure was great, the tub drainage was not up to speed so that I actually got to take an inadvertent bath at the same time that I was showering. Ugh. The toiletries they provide, all with the inn name emblazoned on them, were not the nicest quality, and although we stayed more than one day, they all were not replenished. There was a small tv in this room - most rooms do not have them - but no remote came with it, which limited its usefulness. It appears that each room closet is allocated - at most - 6 hangers, so we had to borrow some from other open rooms to hang up our clothes (we were attending a wedding). Rather frustrating and, I thought, cheap.

The hotel does offer "afternoon tea" which actually turned out to be a homemade cheeseball and crackers, so don't get your hopes up. Folks are happy to bring you an iced or hot tea, if you ask for it. Dorset is small w/not much going on, but if you want to hang around the rooms downstairs bring your own reading material - unusual books and magazine, some very old ones (dating from 1971 and 1990's) were available for your reading pleasure. We did enjoy going to Hildene and the S. VT. Arts Center, but there's precious little to do in town (unlessyou want to hit Manchester's over-priced "outlets", which I often saw as a touted attraction).

To be honest, I thought the room would have been fine at $75 or even $100, especially as breakfast was included, and the breakfast was delicious. (However, we cancelled our dinner reservations after the room debacle and basically as we felt they were already taking too much of our money w/their overpriced rooms. We really enjoyed a wonderful dinner over the at Inn at West View Farm, right down the road. While it was a little more expensive than what we would have paid at the DI, it was just delicious, and in a pretty setting (next time we'll ask for a table near the windows).) Anyway, to get back to the inn - I thought it was ridiculously overpriced for what you get. And if you want to actually have a child in the room with you, you will be charged an extra $30 PER CHILD, PER NIGHT, which I thought was outrageous - even if you don't ask for an extra cot/bed (which the very very small rooms could not accomodate, anyway). I'd said I could bring my daughter's sleeping bag, but apparently the $30 charge was imposed regardless of whether you intended to have the child share your bed or sleep in something you bring yourself. I've stayed in two other inns, both in VA, and each FAR excelled the DI, easily. Needless to say, we won't be returning.

Also - I wish we'd booked rooms in Squire House, which looks lovely online. We didn't realize that Dorset and the surrounding areas are all actually quite close to everything, so the fact that SH apparently isn't on the "main drag" (DI is on the "town green" - just a slightly larger width area of green, not what I think of as a true "town green") means nothing.

• Stayed: June 2006