“Very Creative Chef”

Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Derby Line
Cuisines: Austrian, German
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The best Austrian and German Dining experience in the North East, with an authentic menu selection nowhere to be found. Great selection of German On Draft selection served in our Fireplace lounge
Reviewed June 8, 2014

A relatively new restaurant with a very creative Austrian Chef. Food was excellent. Bar service was slow, but I think that will improve once they get the kinks out. Make recervations. This place gets crowded.

2  Thank Robert G

Reviewed June 5, 2014

A well conceived, expertly run restaurant. Careful attention to service , plating and timing of food so it all seems to make great restaurant sense. We plan to return often ..The food was not fussy but really understandable and extremely flavorful. Some of the key dishes , like the schnitzel's were as crisp and fresh as any i have had....Every thing tasted like it was meant to ...no short cuts ....the cherry strudel was about the best I have had in this country.....and great beer ..perfect with the food...though expect more Austrian/ German wines soon....And the chef/owner is often in the dining room adding charm an expert advice.....A really enjoyable and professional restaurant...

3  Thank Jlevine1675
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We will definitely return to the Derby Line Village Inn. Our group of four enjoyed an excellent supper prepared by a serious experienced chef. The staff was welcoming, attentive and charming. The menu had delicious traditional Austrian dishes as well as the daily specials, and the chef accommodated our friend’s dietary restrictions with ease. Our shared appetizer of gravlax was excellent and just the right amount for four. My schnitzel was breaded with lightness and flavour, served with a delicate cream sauce. Our friend’s dish of pork medallions, served with a velvety sauce, was also excellent. There is a decent selection of wines, German beers and Vermont ales, including our favourite Switchback. The coffee was good and the dessert soufflé was heavenly. We stayed over in the comfortable B&B and had an exquisite breakfast including freshly picked morels and perfectly poached eggs. My husband enjoyed a bike ride to a scenic viewpoint before breakfast.

2  Thank 504J_K_H
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We have attended this restaurant twice now and going back very soon. We have been impressed both times. The food is amazing and well presented. The Chef and owner Fritz comes to your table and explains the "specials". He takes great pride in explaining his dishes - not to mention his "desserts". The rest of the staff and waitresses are all very pleasant and know their menus.

The setting is very nice, and it can get a bit noisy, but it's an extremely old house, with so much character - so a little noise is fine!! If you are a party of 10 or 12, check to see if you can have the "Chef's Dining Room" - it's your own private dining room with such elegance.

We would encourage anyone who hasn't tried this wonderful place, please do, but don't forget to make reservations at least 1 week ahead - or you might find they are all filled up for that evening. When they are as busy as this, you can be sure there is a very good reason for it!!!

3  Thank DiDi581
Reviewed May 11, 2014

With great anticipation, we made reservations at this restaurant after having been turned away the preceding week due to an overfull restaurant. We had read that the chef/owner had quite an illustrious set of credentials and were expecting an experience on par with those. We were seated in the bar area which I thought was fairly sparsely decorated. My wife objected to being seated in the bar, there being other more atmospheric rooms in the house. We were seated and then greeted by a quite perky waitress. I was immediately struck by the table decoration, which consisted of a wide runner which extended the length of the table. Although I had no doubt that the tablecloth had been changed, I noted that it was impossible to lay the silverware out such that it did not lie on the runner - my silverware as well as the preceding diners. We proceeded to order, each ordering an appetizer. Two appetizers were delivered. Mine was not. For a significant period of time. I requested silverware to eat my appetizer. It was not delivered. For a significant period of time. 3 or 4 minutes, as my Brie cooled. My wife ordered the Gulasch soup. To say it was tepid would be generous. It was extremely over salted. For a main course, my wife ordered the Oktoberfest Platter. It was pedestrian - nothing special. My wife had been relieved of her silverware after the appetizer. When she asked for fresh, she waited...and waited. Our waitress was perky but nothing else. I had the venison, which was merely adequate. We declined to try dessert, the food having been mediocre and the service worse. Unfortunately, this restaurant does not add anything of value to the culinary landscape of the Newport area.

3  Thank HSRSteve