“Great Place in a Remote Area”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Craftsbury Common
Craftsbury Outdoor Center
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I stayed here during a 2 day ski trip on the Catamount Trail. I also skied one day at their cross country area, which was great - well groomed & maintained trails that were also challenging. The package included 3 meals - had to reserve the afternoon before for a take-out lunch (which was annoying). But, the breakfast & dinners were good with great vegetarian options. But, my room - located at the end of the Cedar Lodge - was very cold (never getting above 59 degrees) despite their working on it. The office never followed up on whether it was ever fixed. And the office closes at night (7 pm). However, other guests in the building had nice hot rooms. And the lounge in the Cedar Lodge was very nice, with coffee you could make in the morning & hot chocolate, etc in the afternoons. So, I still feel that it was a good value.

Room Tip: Rooms in the middle are probably warmer during the winter season. Also, the 2nd floor of the Cedar L...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank MMingus

Reviewed January 31, 2014

We came here with a Road Scholar group. Although the accommodations were basic, they were clean and comfortable. When the water main in Tamarack froze, we were moved to an equivalent room in Cedar. The food was exceptionally good and plentiful and there was a great variety of rental equipment available for all winter activities. Best, however, were the trails, which were beautifully groomed and diverse, and the instructors who were helpful, patient, and encouraging with skiers in their sixties and up! This is not a place for people who want luxury but for those who want, beautiful vistas, fresh air, lots of exercise, and hearty, healthy and tasty cuisine.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We spent one night in Cabin D during the Fall off season. The cabin is worth paying a few extra dollars. While it can sleep eight in three bedrooms, just two of us stayed here. The cabin is right on the water with lake views. The bed was extremely comfortable and the heating system kept the cabin at a good temperature. If you bring food, the kitchen has everything you could possibly need. The kitchen, dining, living room area is an open floor plan and very inviting. there is a wood stove for those who would like to have a fire. in the morning, we took advantage of the available kayaks and saw loons on the lake. This was a very pleasant, quiet rural setting.

Room Tip: Cabin D appears more modern and private.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2013

It is very EXPENSIVE compare to what you get for that price. I attended a sculling program. It SUCKED from beginning till end. Unpredictable BAD coaching, BAD video reviews. If you are totally new to rowing this might work for you. If you know how to row and like to improve DON’T EVEN TRY THIS PLACE!
I was there from Fri. afternoon till Sunday lunch time. I only got coaching twice, rest I had to row on my own and circle around the lake! If you have the money, not looking for much from classes than it is a beautiful place to spend the weekend. The only good thing there is the FOOD…. Two thumbs up for the kitchen crew, they really did a good job and THANK YOU for that.

Room Tip: We paid $250 extra for the cabin, just to be able to stay together with friends.
Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank yesim t
Reviewed August 31, 2013

My husband and I came to visit the Nordic Center in February. We had a good skiing experience. The staff was apathetic but we didn't really care at the time as we were there to just ski for a few hours and head home. We decided to see what summer at Craftsbury Outdoor Center offered and booked Labor Day weekend. When we made our reservations we asked if they could accommodate dogs and the answer was yes but only in one cabin. The price was expensive for the cabin at $314.00 a night but we decided it would be fine since we would have full access to activities and meals. We thought we would be able to swim, take a sculling lesson, ride mountain bikes and walk on the trails as this is what the website led us to believe.

Upon arrival the story was very different. I was given a paper explaining that guests were strongly discouraged from bringing dogs and was given a waiver to sign stating that I understand they are not allowed near the waterfront at any time and not allowed on the ski trails but were allowed on recreational trails. As a matter of fact, swimming for people was very limited also. The sculling program had priority over all else. People could swim when that was not going on in a ton of millfoil. Now back to the dogs, I was not allowed to leave them in the cabin unaccompanied. If I did so and they made a nuisance we would be asked to take them to a local kennel and be charged. Other things were on the waiver that are quite normal like picking up after them and damage fees. Essentially upon arrival we were given an instructional sheet of how to stay out of everybody's hair and what the consequences would be if we did not.
To make matters worse, once we went to our cabin we saw that describing it as rustic would be an exaggeration in the positive. It was borderline derelict. It was small, hot, and we found a beer bottle cap in with our supposedly clean dishes. My husband and I were outside the cabin making jokes about all the policies and rules when somebody comes by the calls out that we need to leash our dogs immediately. All this as I was leaning over attaching the leash to my dog at that same moment.

Finally we came to the realization we were paying $314.00 a night to be quarantined to a slanty shanty with no cell phone coverage, where dogs were welcome to one cabin but discouraged in general on the campus, and to be in a police state for our Labor Day weekend. We wanted out of there. Morning couldn't come fast enough. We did not sleep at all as the bed was broken, the mattresses were ancient and the bathroom was so dirty I didn't shower. I felt cleaner without one. We went to the office at 8:30 A.M. and were told we owed $628.00 in total as the deposit goes towards the last night. I guess other people have wanted to bail early as well.

All in all Craftsbury Outdoor Center has good skiing, okay food, but terrible service, blatant misrepresentation of their accommodations and too many rules and policies. Not fun and never again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Victoria B
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I were there for a Road Scholar nordic skiing and yoga program back in March 2013 and we had a great time. We started off as intermediate skiiers and by the third day, we were skiing the advanced trails. Our instructors were very caring and encouraging. Three full meals are included in the lodging rate, along with trail passes. The food is to die for!!! Locally sourced organic fare. I wish I bought their cookbook.

We will definitely return!

Room Tip: If you are in a regular, non-private bath room, try asking for a private room on the day of arrival...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank gwlc
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We just experienced two lovely days of skiing at Craftsbury. On March 22 and 23rd the snow was plentiful and the trails expertly groomed ---- we especially loved Sam's Run. Since we are seniors the trail fee was only $5 --- what a surprise and what a difference from Trappe ! We love to ski and have skied at numerous cross-country centers. Craftsbury has the best snow, the best grooming and the most interesting trails. It is our first choice when it comes to cross-country .

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank xcskierNH

Been to Craftsbury Outdoor Center? Share your experiences!