“needs work”

Clover House Restaurant
Ranked #34 of 40 Restaurants in Colchester
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Located in the heart of Malletts Bay we have something for everyone. Sit in a booth at a table of in one of our 30 bar seats. We have food for everyone's tastes. From burgers, steaks, seafood and pasta all cooked fresh to order you will be impressed. See you soon.
Vermont
“needs work”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

We had been fans of The Clover House for a few years. Knowing the chef had left for bigger digs at the first of the year, and having read the one other review on Trip Advisor since then, we gave it a try with some trepidation. Location location location.

It was toasty warm when we arrived (see previous review), so it passed the first test. The specials menu looked reasonable, but not up to the variety of (previous) Chef Levi's. Dinner salads were cold and crisp. Dinner rolls (1 each) were a step up from the ok, but nondescript rolls of the past.

The previous review mentioned the odor of paint, etc. When we arrived, there was none evident. However, when we opened the cloth napkin wrapped cutlery, there was an odor my wife called 'old oil', I called it linseed oil. It may have been from the cabinet that the setups were delivered from, or it could be from the wash/dry setup they are using. I have occasionally stained woodwork in our basement, and anything that ran through the gas dryer around that time picked up the odor of burnt linseed oil. This reminded me of that. This definitely needs work.

Dinners were ok, nothing spectacular. We hope whoever is running the kitchen can approach the quality and variety of the predecessor. Chef Levi, we wish you well at The Lighthouse. We have been there, but Clover House is much closer.

We'll no doubt be back, but it may be a while. I hope the restaurant reads these reviews.

• Visited March 2013

Burlington, Vermont, United States
“Not a good experience - March 2013”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

I wonder if there is new ownership or a new chef?? So much was different. We have had good experiences in the past.
It was drafty inside, many of the diners had their jackets on in the restaurant. It smelled of strong paint or stain. They said that they painted in January 2013, but the smell was still very strong.
One of our Clover House favorites was the calamari, not any more. They were covered with cornstartch and thats all you could taste, very gritty! The dipping sauce was good.
The baked potato soup was good, but could have been served hotter.
My meal, Lobster / Crab Macorroni and Cheese, $19.00 was served warm at best. The few bites that I did take were very bland. No crunchy topping either, just bread crumbs sprinkled on top. My husband Delmonico steak with garlic mashed and veggies, $21.00was barely warm as well. He was really hungry so he ate most of his meal, before the waitress came back to check to see how everything was.
I shared our disappointment and they did end up comping my meal in hopes that we would try them again. I am very doubtful that I will go back.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank barbd130
Colchester Vermont
“A welcoming place with always consistent great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

We eat here often. A ever changing specials menu ( weekly). Fresh interesting seafood dishes. Veggies never over done, dessert is made there and flavorful, rolls are fresh baked and warm, service attentive and welcoming. Drinks ample and reasonable. This place has a big local following and you would be pleased to make this your eating choice. No downtown fancy clothes needed.

Naples, Fl
“Over Rated by other Trip Advisor Members”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

We had an event in this town this past weekend and didn't know were we could dine.
We referred to Trip Advisor ( of course) for a suggestion.
This establishment has good or better ratings. so, we gave it a try...A mistake!
It was not busy so no excuses please.
The menu was limited. The service was good.
Everyone, including my self were hungry and ready for a great meal.
Don't happen.
The flavors were bland. Portion sizes were O.K.
No one was pleased enough to want to go back.
We wished we chose a national chain over the Clover House, expectations would have been lessened.
The french onion was soup in a awful.
Under the cheese it looked like crude oil. Almost black and too bold and salty to eat.
Perhaps reheated too many times.
Too bad. The great reviews must have been family or friends.

• Visited September 2012
Charlotte, Vermont, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What did you say!!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

We had dinner at this restaurant many times, so we decided to celebrate a birthday by again enjoying a delightful dinner at the Clover House. Well, that did not happen...we went to the Clover house but the dinner was far from delightful. It was so noisy you couldn't hear yourself, forget anyone having dinner with you. They have tables so close together you think your eating 'Family Style" I really don't want hear other people conversations as I don't want them to hear mine.The person playing music had the speakers turned up so loud it really was not enjoyable.
The menu was changed and really not for the better. The salad looked like it was grass clippings and not much of it at that. No Shrimp cocktail, no baked stuffed shrimp in fact only one shrimp dish on the menu . The steak I ordered was cut up in four slices and certainly not worth the 20.00 charged. The service was very slow and we will never go back there again. Try the Rotisserie on Williston Road, much better food, better prices and far better service.

• Visited June 2012