“Ripped Off Again by Rates for NSRA Show Weekend”

Motel 6 Burlington - Colchester
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Colchester
Reviewed September 24, 2013

While our stay at the Motel 6 in Colchester was fine. It is a bare bones, usually inexpensive, choice of places to stay. For this weekend the prices are better than double the published rate of $61.99. Next year for the show weekend the prices start at $135.00. My rating is based primarily on the rate jump from $61.99 to $135. I guess what ever the market wii bear.

By bare bones I mean it is clean with minimal services, ie: no facial tissues; skimpy thin bath towels; extra charge for WiFi access; & coffee only in the morning (no continental breakfast). The rooms are also noisey, probably thin walls. They also allow pets which leads to barking early in the am when being taken out by owners.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Burlington - Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Dear Bill,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Like other economy motel brands, our rates are based on location and seasonality, but at Motel 6 we strive to provide a clean, comfortable room at the lowest price of any national chain. We hope you'll stay with us again.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

We spent two nights here while exploring the area by car. Hotel location is conveniently close to I-87, yet noise was not an issue. We had not stayed at a Motel 6 in years and were pleasantly surprised! The spacious rooms and furniture appeared new and modern. There was a nice work surface, a modern TV and a good-sized bathroom with a shower tub. Best of all - there was no carpet; all flooring was either tile or laminate.

Staff was friendly, the rates were great (no AAA discount, but AARP was offered), and we even were able to get adjoining rooms so we could spend more time with our friends. There is a McDonald's and an Italian restaurant right outside the property, and another diner in walking distance.

This is a great clean, quiet, budget-friendly place. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I booked two rooms from this hotel via Booking.com. On the voucher, it said "Queen Room". And also each said "for 2 adults, 2 children). When we arrived in the hotel late at night, we realized that the "queen room" had one queen bed in it. That's all. The front desk staff was not accommodating. We ended up calling their customer service and booking.com but there was no solution. We had to squeeze in that one queen bed, two parents and an 11 yr old and had a night from hell.
The floors are cement covered with something like a wall paper. Shabby room. But worst is they do not say that "queen room" only has ONE queen bed in it. The hotel provided no roll ins, no mattresses, nothing for the child. I am happy that we had only one child. It's just ridiculous. If you want to book, make sure what you are booking, how many beds you have. Do not trust that the hotel will provide beds for your children even though they say the room is for 2 adults and 2 children.

Room Tip: make sure you are booking a room with two queen size beds, not only one. Do not assume. No roll in b...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank GreenSkunk
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

The room is tiny and the bathroom oddly shaped to try to make the room seem bigger. The walls and floors are thin. You can hear showers running in other rooms and the happenings of those in adjacent rooms and above.
The airport is nearby and take offs and landings sounded like they were happening in the parking lot.
The housekeeping staff needs to relearn how to clean a bathroom and make a bed. The bathroom was dirty on the floor and tub. The bed was made when we arrived, the first morning, housekeeping just threw the covers over the bed and rand a sweeper on the floor. Beyond that, nothing was touched.
Asking for extra towels is like asking them to hand weave them for you. They made me feel like I was unworthy of an extra motel 6 towel.
Lastly, there are no extra pillows, no fridge, no microwave, no iron.
There are no frills. I wonder if Tom Bodet has ever stayed at a Motel 6. We won't be back as it is so not worth the price.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Kerri L
Reviewed September 4, 2013

It's Motel 6 so there are no real surprises here.
If you are looking for a cheap place that provides a roof over your head than this might work for you but don't expect much. The hotel is clean enough :/ but the rooms have this weird sterile hospital room feel to them. For instance, our room had this weird fake wood laminate floor that obviously was installed to easy cleanup. I'm not sure what goes down in this place but it made me not want to touch anything for fear I would pick up a case of Hepatitis.
All in all, if you are with a bunch of frat buddies and need a place to crash for the night this might work otherwise you will probably be disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Stayed at this bare minimum hotel on our way through Burlington to the Adirondacks via the ferry across Lake Champlain. Don't expect much. The check in was fine, staff friendly enough. Be aware: this place has dogs. Lots of dogs. They do not have rooms that are dog free so if you have allergies, you are out of luck. Wi-Fi is available but there is a charge and it requires you to log in frequently. The rooms are less than basic: linoleum floors, no closet or dresser, thin (and I mean THIN) towels. I felt like I was staying in a hospital room. I will say the room are clean. That's about it. Bring your own blow dryer and shampoo/conditioner/lotion. You can request one of the 2 blow dryers available from the front desk (the 3rd dryer caught fire during our overnight stay). My friend, who stayed in another room, and I shared the one blow dryer that we begged from the front desk. Shampoo can be purchased from a vending machine. REALLY?! All-in-all, you get exactly what you pay for. It's cheap. It is in a good location. It is clean. Would I stay again or recommend it? No.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Linda N
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We stayed here for a biking holiday and found the accomodations perfect for our needs. We didn't use the pool, but it looked inviting. The room was clean and because there was no carpet, I didn't get the usual allergies associated with a hotel with carpet - a bonus for me! The washroom was clean and bright. The staff was pleasant and check in and out was simple. After reading the reviews, I was somewhat nervous about staying at this Motel 6, but was very pleasantly surprised and would definately stay here again. There is a McDonalds and Burger King, as well as a gas bar and convenience store very close by, so we just walked over for breakfast. Considering the prices of the hotels in the Burlington area, this hotel is a great deal.

Room Tip: Bring your own hairdryer and alarm clock.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Vanbeek17
Also consider these accommodations in or near Colchester
Quality Inn Colchester / Burlington
La Quinta Inn & Suites South Burlington
La Quinta Inn & Suites South Bur...
#8 of 12 in South Burlington
Comfort Inn & Suites South Burlington
Comfort Inn & Suites South Burli...
#7 of 12 in South Burlington
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
#4 of 8 in Burlington
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington
Hampton Inn Burlington
Hampton Inn Burlington
#1 of 5 in Colchester

Been to Motel 6 Burlington - Colchester? Share your experiences!