“Average -- except for the roaches”

Days Inn Colchester Burlington
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Colchester
GreenLeadersSilver level
Philadelphia, PA
“Average -- except for the roaches”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I can't quite decide whether to give this property 2 or 3 stars. It's an older "average" motel; you're not really expecting great comfort from a "Days Inn." The rooms themselves are OK; mine was a bit small and dated but housekeeping seemed pretty good. For some reason, the floor of the bathroom loudly squeaked whenever you walked on it. The 2-bedded rooms have only doubles instead of queens, but that's an annoyance at many hotels and motels. Breakfast is pretty bad -- no hot foods (except a waffle maker) and low-quality bread products -- but that's what I expect from a USA motel of this sort. The indoor pool was closed for unspecified reasons. The front desk staff was friendly (although I wish one clerk hadn't told me the outlet mall closed at "9 or 10" on a Saturday night when it actually closed at 8).

But the reason I almost gave them 2 stars was because of a roach problem in my room. My first day passed without incident, but on the second morning I killed a roach on a wall. I didn't think that much of it, but that evening I found another roach crawling on a pillow. I called the front desk staff to ask "what the heck was going on" and whether they had a roach problem. The clerk very sincerely stated that she had worked at the motel for 2 1/2 years and that they had never had a problem with bugs. I told her that seemed a bit odd (when you see 2 roaches in one-day, that's almost always the sign of a "problem"), but the staff was so friendly and earnest that I was inclined to give her the benefit of the doubt. I presume they will spray in response to my "incident" and, hopefully, future guests will not report similar problems. BTW, the desk clerk did nicely offer to move me to another room that night, but since we were already "tucking in" -- and I didn't think it likely that the bugs would be confined to only one room -- we declined her offer.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
daysinncolchestervt, General Manager at Days Inn Colchester Burlington, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for your review of your recent stay. As I have worked at this property for 19 years, I too can assure you that the black and red beetles you found in your room were in fact just beetles, the same ones that are on my car and the screens to my office window. We do not have cockroaches and certainly would have addressed the issue and insisted on you moving rooms had they in face been roaches.

Our breakfast is the standard continental breakfast that includes fresh waffles, bagels, yogurt, fresh fruit, cereal, and more. We certainly strive to provide our guests with several option at our complimentary breakfast each morning.

Thank you for pointing out that you enjoyed our hospitable front desk staff. They are amazing and certainly are always willing to go above and beyond when any concerns are brought to their attention.

I wish you safe and pleasant travels in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Albuquerque, NM
Reviewed October 19, 2012

There is nothing very wrong of very good about this place and, even though the price was ridiculous it was Vermont in the fall, thus a bargain. Check in was friendly, breakfast was edible. We had trouble finding it at night because we couldn't read the street signs but a stop at Domino's Pizza made it easy (they know where everything is). I suppose we would stay again for a night or two.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
daysinncolchestervt, General Manager at Days Inn Colchester Burlington, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
I appreciate your review and the fact that you would gladly return to stay at our hotel in the future. We pride ourselves on providing clean, comfortable rooms at a great price. You clearly enjoyed that as well as our outstanding service and free continental breakfast.
Jersey Shore
Reviewed October 19, 2012

This is the email I sent to the Managers at the Days Inn Colchester, VT. Have yet to receive a response:

I am writing to express my dissatisfaction with my stay on October 13th, 2012. My party checked in on the afternoon if the 13th. We had an engagement that kept us from the hotel until about 2:30am. Upon our return, our keys did not work on our door. The door did not indicate a 'red' light or anything, there was no response from the door at all. While the front desk person was very nice and helpful, he indicated that he had no experience with this type of problem. This problem caused us to be locked out of out room for an hour while it was being addressed. It was eventually fixed, but it forced us to essentially sleep in the hallway during that time.

When I addressed the situation with a different front desk person the next day, she was borderline dismissive and offered no resolution besides a somewhat begrudged apology and instructions to contact you via an email.

As you would hopefully agree this is an unacceptable situation and I am asking for a some kind of refund for the stay. We payed a good rate for this type of room and this type of situation should not arise for the rate that was being charged.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns regarding your recent stay. I sincerely apologize that your room door needed to be reprogrammed when you returned to your room. As this does not happen more than once or twice a year the night auditor who was on by himself for the second time had not yet had the opportunity to practice this procedure. I apologize that you had to wait for him to contact the lead maintenance engineer as I can understand that you were very tired and would have liked to be able to get right into your room. I have followed up with all of my staff members to ensure that each of them is well versed on how to program a door in the event this happens in the future. In the event that you return to the Burlington area, I would love the opportunity to host you again and provide you with the award winning service we are known for.

Travelers are raving about these Colchester hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Colchester
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington
Hilton Burlington
Hilton Burlington
#5 of 8 in Burlington
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,472 reviews

Been to Days Inn Colchester Burlington? Share your experiences!