“Stay away from the Fox Creek Inn!”
Review of Fox Creek Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chittenden
Fox Creek Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Chittenden B&B and Inns
“Stay away from the Fox Creek Inn!”
Reviewed October 6, 2011

This past week, my husband and I were on a country inn hiking vacation in Vermont, in which we were scheduled to stay at three different inns known for their gourmet food. Our reservations and package included three meals a day, the lunch meal being a packed trail lunch.

We arrived at the Fox Creek Inn about 5:00 p.m. on a Tuesday night, still in our hiking clothes – hungry, tired, and looking forward to an evening of comfort, food, friendly people and hospitality.

The inn was big and dark, both outside and inside. After ringing the bell and knocking on the door, to no response, we saw a note saying to call a number if nobody answered. Of course, this assumes you had a cell phone (with service); and fortunately we did. Before we finished dialing, though, Sandy, the proprietress, approached and welcomed us to the Fox Creek Inn. She quickly told us the code to get in when no one is there; opened the door, and we entered a dark, dank, musty, and gloomy inn. She proceeded to explain a myriad of other instructions about working the lights, the coffee machine, the bar, etc. My mind was spinning – how were we going to remember all this? Where was the staff going to be? Before showing us to our room, she told us that because we were the only two guests that night, she wasn’t going to make dinner for us but would give us a voucher to a restaurant. Then she showed us to a somewhat quaint but tiny room. I asked whether we could have a larger room – we had a lot of luggage – and she curtly stated that that was not included in our package. Well, considering the inn was empty, it didn’t seem to be an unreasonable request. From there, the conversation deteriorated. We did not want to stay in this big, dark inn where we had to fend for ourselves and drive somewhere else to get dinner. Why weren’t any lights left on before our arrival? Or some windows left open to allow in some fresh air?

After harsh words, we all decided it was best to call our tour director to make other arrangements. He called back, but my cell phone dropped the call; so he called back on the inn’s line. The phone rang twice, and I asked Sandy to answer the phone; she seemed to be ignoring it. She lashed out at me that I shouldn’t tell her when to answer her phone. Finally, after about 20 minutes of this type of back and forth, we agreed to return to the previous inn that we had stayed in, the Crisanver House, where the innkeepers were delightful; the service warm and friendly; and the company kind. We left with Sandy yelling at us to get out of her house.

In summary, we found the inn dark and uninviting, and the innkeeper not very hospitable. If your idea of a bed & breakfast is to stay in a dark, musty and empty building where the innkeepers are down the road, I guess this is your place. If not, avoid the Fox Creek Inn.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank shilo b
foxcreekinn, Owner at Fox Creek Inn, responded to this review, October 11, 2011
In order to put this review in context please read some of the other reviews. The property hasn't changed, the rooms are no smaller and we are the same owners.
The myriad of instructions that the reviewer was struggling with were a four digit door code, how to use the Keurig coffee maker and advising her that we had an honor bar and to please keep a tab.
I am sorry that she had a less than positive experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Grand Cayman
Reviewed September 20, 2011

My wife & I spent 3 nights at the Fox Creek Inn. We had a wonderful room, the honeymoon suite, which was spacious & very comfortable with a fireplace & jacuzzi. We listened to the creek all night-very soothing & relaxing. A wonderful location with many hiking trails nearby. The Inn is very well maintained & very comfortable. However, it really was the warmth & hospitality of the proprietors, Sandy & Jim, that made this stay truly memorable. The meals were excellent & the wine cellar extremely good. The honesty bar is snug, comfortable with a really lovely atmosphere. There are no petty rules & regulations-just relaxation in a most comfortable & peaceful enviroment. Thank you Jim & Sandy.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Wonderful location, with a bubbling brook to soothe you to sleep. Very warm and gracious hosts, with a personal touch that makes one "feel at home". Highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2011
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 26, 2011

My girlfriend and I wanted to get away for a weekend this May, and decided to head up to the Fox creek inn. We (she) based the decision on how "pretty the rooms look" on the website. While I must say the rooms are unique, cozy, and just as pretty in person as online, it turns out the rest of the experience was equally appealing.

We were met and welcomed when we arrived by Jim, who could not have been a kinder, more considerate and gracious host. He helped us get set in our room, gave us a tour of the house, and invited us to "snoop in the other rooms" since we were the only guests for that weekend. I honestly felt like I was visiting a long lost friend. He also directed me to the beatiful little bar in the house, saying "my bar is your bar." Did I mention he was a great host?

Each morning we were treated to breakfast prepared by Sandy, Jim's equally lovely wife and co-innkeeper. We did not have the pleasure of enjoying one of Sandy's dinners, but judging by her breakfasts, I would imagine they are delicious. She also helped us set up a tee time at Neshobe GC (excellent btw), dinner at the Red Clover Inn (best meal we had), and cannoe rentals with Blue Rdige Outfitter (Great people too). Again, just great all around.

The property itself is nestled in its own section of the woods, separate from any busy roads or towns, but not actually so far removed. The ceilings inside are very low, reflecting the age of the building. For normal sized people this creates a cozy, rustic, charming atmosphere, but if I were much taller than 6'3" it might be a bit annoying at times (some bedrooms have higher ceilings FYI). The common areas are well cared for and charming. Each bedroom is unique, both in terms of amenities and design theme/color pallet. See the website for more details.

Overall, this was an EXCELLENT experience. I would highly reccomend this inn to anyone looking for a friendly, relaxing getaway in VT. I certainly hope to be back there again one day, if only just to chat some more with Jim...

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Oakton, Virginia
Reviewed July 24, 2011

Recently stayed for 2 nights on a trip with a friend - one of 5 inns we visited and probably my favorite. The owners, Jim and Sandy, have that special kind of gracious hospitality that really makes you feel like you are a welcome friend. On our first evening, Jim chose a wine for us based on our mood, and sat with us in the little 4-seat "pub" and helped us plan our activities for the next day. He had great suggestions and made all the arrangements for us. (We had a perfect day canoeing on the Reservoir.) The room was perfect for us -- twin beds in a cozy room with a very spacious bathroom -- and from what I saw, the other rooms are all just as welcoming. We spent some time hanging out in the great room; there's a fantastic fireplace and I'm sure it's awesome in the colder months. In summer, it's a great place to read, play a game, or just chat. We didn't have dinner at the inn (mid-week and we were the only guests) so Jim gave us recommendations and directions and we had great meals not too far away from the inn. We did have breakfast at the inn -- generous and not overwhelming, with lots of fresh fruit. I really loved staying at Fox Creek Inn and hope that I will have a chance to stay there again, soon and often.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank ACM4
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 8, 2010

We recently returned from a week long stay in Vermont where we stayed at the FCI as the second of 4 B&Bs on the trip. The FCI is a beautiful inn in Chittenden and is spacious, well maintained, well cared for, and with an interesting history. Sandy and Jim Robertson were fantastic hosts and made us feel very welcome.

Our room was spacious, clean, and cozy. The in-room AC during the humid weather was also appreciated. A giant four-post bed with spa-jet tub were also welcomed features. The FCI was a great place to relax in after lots of hiking and had plenty of seating rooms and big comfortable sofas for us to relax on and have a drink.

We had an absolutely amazing dinner with Sandy cooking up a spicy gazpacho soup, fall-off-the-bone ribs, local corn on the cob, a broccoli salad, and a delicious berry and mascapone cheese desert. Breakfast in the morning was a feast as well, featuring stuffed egg bread with a side of bacon.

They were both very helpful with information about local hiking trails. They made copies of maps for us and Sandy packed us a tasty lunch for the road. It was also great chatting with Jim who still works full time at his high tech job!

We had a great experience at FCI and would whole-heartedly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Bridgeville, PA
Reviewed February 26, 2010

We (5 couples) recently stayed at the Fox Creek Inn on an Inn to Inn skiing trip. A nice time was had by all! We appreciated the great room in order to be able to gather, socialize and play games. The Pub is so quaint! Jim is very accommodating and entertaining to boot!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chittenden
Best Western Inn & Suites Rutland-Killington
Mendon Mountainview Lodge
Hampton Inn Rutland/Killington
The Mountain Top Inn & Resort
Red Clover Inn & Restaurant
The Vermont Inn
The Vermont Inn
#2 of 3 in Mendon

Been to Fox Creek Inn? Share your experiences!