“Relaxing retreat (including your dog) in stunning location”

The Mountain Top Inn & Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chittenden
Reviewed January 4, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Mountain Top Inn (in the Woodlands Chalet House) in early September 2009 and had a really wonderful time. Being able to bring our dog, including to sit outside near us during meals at the main Inn building, was a huge plus. The overall environment was incredibly relaxing and beautiful, there were tons of things to do (great hiking on the property), and we remember the whole experience very fondly.

Upon our arrival we were upgraded to a nicer Chalet House without additional charge (we had booked one of the Saddlebrooks but they moved us to Woodlands). We spent the next week horseback riding, hiking with our dog, and swimming in the stunning Chittenden Reservoir (the property has its own beachfront, which is just down the road from the main Inn).

The purpose of our visit was to celebrate both a birthday and our anniversary. The Inn brought food and a cake to our Chalet House on one these, and helped us celebrate the other at the Inn's restaurant. The staff was friendly and accommodating across the board.

The horseback riding center on the property was also excellent. We spent three glorious days riding with their trainers. In each case it was just the two of us and our guide, and we were allowed to trot and canter around the Green Mountain National Forest and on the cross-country ski trails. We were beginners, yet we were soon made to feel very comfortable with our mounts and with the competence of our guides.

For those who love to bring their four-legged best friend along, this place really can't be beat. While they're not allowed in the main hotel (so you need to get one of the chalets that allows dogs), we were able to have her at the outdoors section of the restaurant (she was very well-behaved), and the staff even brought us extra bacon for her at breakfast. We were able to hike with the dog off leash all around the property, and she was allowed to swim in the reservoir. The dog might have had the best time of the three of us.

A few provisos are worth mentioning. First, we were at the Inn during a comparative lull. At early September, summer had just ended but the big leaf-viewing season had not yet started. We realize that our timing was probably very lucky: we had a lot of the place to ourselves, which certainly added to the appeal, and the weather was also glorious every day.

Also, this is not a place to go if you aren't prepared to do a bit of walking. The walking itself is pleasant and lovely, but the whole place would be less fun if you didn't particularly enjoy being on your feet a lot. The beachfront to the reservoir is maybe the better part of a mile from the main hotel and it's uphill on the way back. We enjoyed the workout but not everyone will. We tended to walk a lot around the property as well, so if you're looking for a lay-about holiday (nothing wrong with that), this might not be the place for you. But it's perfect for an active vacation.

Sometimes the staff seemed a bit harried or overworked. It seemed that the restaurant, in particular, was short-handed. While they were friendly and the food was good, things tended to take a bit longer than might be desirable. This too, however, could be a product of our timing (see above).

Finally, the bed was really not all that comfortable in the master room; not awful but not world-class either. But the kitchen and TV room were very nice; wireless internet was also available. The area outside the Woodlands with a small pond was really lovely as well.

In general, we had a great stay and would recommend it to a friend, especially a friend with a dog or two.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 23, 2009

I apologize this review has taken me so long, but I was still in newly wedded bliss. Mountain Top Inn & Resort is an AMAZING place to get married. Chelsea was our wedding coordinator and she took care of every detail. With all of the normal bridal anxiety building up to the wedding Chelsea was an angel in making sure everything was perfect even in a torrential downpour during the reception. She is a very confident and wonderful person who knows exactly how to make your wedding a HUGE success!!! Thank you Chelsea. The rest of the staff are quite amazing too as guests kept commenting all weekend how impressed they were with their service and nothing can beat the coordinated servers at the reception who delivered the food in sync with each other even with masks on! The other most fantastic thing about the place (besides the to die for view of the mountains and lake) is the food. Oh, my goodness the food here tops any food I have ever had. It is THAT GOOD! Cooking in bulk for a wedding usually leaves out a good taste, but Guests were talking about how yummy everything is and even said "That was the best...so and so… I have ever had!" Of course we didn't get a chance to try much of the food during the wedding weekend, but luckily we stayed longer after everyone left and we were ravenous. I am still dreaming about the food and it is worth a two hour drive from Burlington just to go to dinner one night. The rooms are also lovely and we enjoyed the bridal suite. If anyone is thinking about having their wedding here, think no longer and DO IT because it will be one no one will ever forget. It is two months later and people are still talking about it. I am forever grateful to Mountain Top Inn for making a wedding of my dreams and we will be sure to be back for our anniversary.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank KittyCake
Reviewed December 1, 2009

Three lesbian couples just had their wedding at Mt. Top Inn, and had a terrific experience. Our wedding planner, Leah Boyer, could not have been more helpful, efficient, knowledgeable ---- and best of all, kept us all CALM! There was a magical overnight snowfall which provided children hours of sledding and snowball fun, but Leah can't promise that for every wedding!
Our reception was in the main dining room, and the food was delicious! Spring for the cheese tray during cocktail hour----it's amazing! We opted to have a pie-and-ice-cream buffet rather than wedding cake, and our guests loved it! The Inn also suggested a separate pizza party for the young ones attending, with a sitter, so everybody won!!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 23, 2009

I attended a wedding here recently. I was travelling with 2 families (and 2 dogs) so we rented one of the chalet homes - Pond View. It worked out great. Nice home, lots of room, hot tub on deck.....it was better than i expected. It was a short walk to the main inn (or an even shorter drive). the complimentary breakfast was very good. there is a nice bar for lunch/dinner or just drinks. the view is awesome. i checked out one of the suites in the inn and it was very nice as well.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 23, 2009

This ranks on the top of our list for destinations with horseback riding. The property is gorgeous and with over 250 acres there was ample riding on varied terrain. Our guide was professional, fun, and knowledgable about the area. She and the rest of the stable staff obviously love and care for the horses and were able to tell us a bit about each personality prior to our ride. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 12, 2009

Here is my first concern. I spoke with a woman at the Activities Center to book two horses before even booking a reservation because we were going to go elsewhere if we were not able to book a ride. We were able to book a ride on the horses and book a ride on the Pontoon Boat. I was pleased. I was even happier because the hotel was able to find a sitter for two hours for us. So naturally I booked our reservation. Mind you, you can not cancel the reservation without losing a good portion of the money you placed, so I had to be sure we were committed to going. Imagine my heartache when I received a call a few days before going that our ride had to be canceled. Being a guest of larger stature, it was imperative that they had a horse that I could indeed ride. I was promised that there would absolutely be no problem. So when I got the call saying they couldn't accommodate me, I was upset and then annoyed. After all, we could have gone to another place as I mentioned before. I couldn't cancel now unless I wanted to lose 1/2 of the reservation. Also, it was a little late to be booking something else. So we decided to put that behind us and go.

When we checked in on Friday night, we found two very helpful staff members. The first thing we did was quickly go to our room in the basement of the lodge to see our room and to unpack. It was late and we were starving. The room was clean and roomy enough for three, but it had to be 85 degrees if not more in this room! We called and asked how to shut the heat off. We proceeded to do that and then headed to dinner.

We had dinner in the Tavern. The waitress could not have been nicer. The food was excellent, but we thought it was pretty pricey for a simple hamburger or BLT sandwich. I felt like we were being taken advantage of. Just because it's there and on the property doesn't mean you should jack the prices. That is just my humble opinion. I will say that one of the staff members at the front desk literally found me at dinner to tell me about two local craft fairs. I was so impressed by him doing that for us.

We headed back to our room to unwind as it was late. The room had not cooled off yet. We called and got a different opinion on how to shut off the heat. Needless to say, I nearly took a sledge hammer to it. The heat roared on all night. We did open three windows, but we were not getting a good breeze so we literally had to open our door and jack it open all night long just to get a breeze to go through. We don't do well in intense heat like that. We were all stuffed up and restless. Very irritated as well since I thought the price of the room was too high to have to put up with this problem.

The next day we had breakfast. We found a table on our own and helped ourselves to the buffet. The food was good and the selection was decent. We then proceeded to approach the front desk so that we could discuss the heating issue. The woman at the desk was an older woman and seemed bothered by us and others asking her questions. Huge difference from the two the night before. She promised to call in someone to help. Someone did come and said it was difficult to turn off for some unknown reason, but he did his best and would come back in 30 minutes or s to check the temp. If he was unlucky at fixing it, he would get us a fan. We took off for the Pontoon ride. That was nice, but freezing cold. The staff member was very pleasant.

When we arrived back at the hotel after visiting craft fairs and shops, the room was hot, but better because there was a fan on in the room. We got a little more sleep because we were cooler. However, when morning came, it was hotter than hell again!!!!

We headed off to breakfast which was the same as the day before. I am glad we didn't miss it as our wake up call never came and we could have overslept! I found the staff at breakfast very snippy as did my husband. When he asked a staff member if they had any suggestions on what we could do that day, she proceeded to tell us to go to the front desk and get a look at a book with things to do. No book exists needless to say. So we headed off to the Activities Center where they helped up plan a trip to Stowe. At least they were nice there.

When we got back to our room, well you guessed it, it was hotter than hell still. Now not for nothing, but none of us could really breath until after most of the day had passed. My daughter was getting bloody noses all day because she was so dried out from this darn heat. Lastly, we are paying a good deal of money on a room we are absolutely miserable in!!!!! The icing on the cake was that the room wasn't made up by the maid service and there were no fresh towels. We were told a lot of maids had called in. So what are we paying for?????

Well today we got up groggy due to the awful heat and also found a bill under our door. My bill was wrong. They were charging me even more than they said they would. I took it up with the front desk after breakfast. The woman there was very nice and adjusted the bill. I booked my reservation with her, so she knew what I was talking about. She was very helpful in adjusting the bill and off we went. It's uncomfortable to have to do that though especially in front of other guests.

The scenery is beautiful. The Inn itself is in a golden location. The places we were at the Inn were clean and nicely decorated.

We do not plan on returning there though. For the money they charge, they should be providing excellent service and it was mediocre at best. The rooms should be made up daily and the heat and air should be able to be controlled by the guest in the room. The service should be pleasant at the very least. We found more crotchety crabs than pleasant people. The staff really either holds you up or keeps you down. I suggest a course in customer service. A survey card at the end of the guests stay, a more lenient cancellation policy and most of all, a look at your prices. Under promise and over deliver. Don't over charge and then under deliver. Word of mouth is a very powerful thing and that swings both ways!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Niccum
Reviewed October 2, 2009

No our first trip, we had gone for the Equestrian activities as avid riders we found their facilities safe and very well run, really like the Equine staff a lot.. On our last stay there is was just after our wedding, not really our honeymoon but still we did not expect to have our personal and private clothes moved to another room by their staff..

We had checked in and was upgraded to one of their best rooms, we'd been there twice before and appreciated the upgrade. We were told we might have to move if another couple showed up...so we knew that might or might not happen.

What we did not expect was for a teenage staff member to go into our room when we were at the lake and move our personal items which also meant he was handling my wife's underwear... We did not learn of this till we got back to the hotel and we still had the room key, what if we had gone to the room without stopping at the front desk first, we would have walked into a room occupied by others....

They did comp the night and move us to a private house however, the damage was done and we could have pursued further however, we resolved to move on.
---

Now this is an unusual situation however, it showed that the staff are not professionals, kids and people without real training like a Hilton or other established property. Also, the food is only marginal and the main dinning room is expensive for such marginal fare...the bar room and its menu is actually better.

If you stay on the ground floor in the back you may have people walking the grounds in front of your window if that bothers you.

Fantastic view, great equine program for jumping or trail riding as all the horses are very safe but the hotel is not worth the money and lack of professionalism....

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chittenden
506 On The River Inn
Mendon Mountainview Lodge
Hampton Inn Rutland/Killington
Woodstock Inn and Resort
Killington Grand Resort Hotel

Been to The Mountain Top Inn & Resort? Share your experiences!