My husband and I stayed at Mountain Top Inn (in the Woodlands Chalet House) in early September 2009 and had a really wonderful time. Being able to bring our dog, including to sit outside near us during meals at the main Inn building, was a huge plus. The overall environment was incredibly relaxing and beautiful, there were tons of things to do (great hiking on the property), and we remember the whole experience very fondly.
Upon our arrival we were upgraded to a nicer Chalet House without additional charge (we had booked one of the Saddlebrooks but they moved us to Woodlands). We spent the next week horseback riding, hiking with our dog, and swimming in the stunning Chittenden Reservoir (the property has its own beachfront, which is just down the road from the main Inn).
The purpose of our visit was to celebrate both a birthday and our anniversary. The Inn brought food and a cake to our Chalet House on one these, and helped us celebrate the other at the Inn's restaurant. The staff was friendly and accommodating across the board.
The horseback riding center on the property was also excellent. We spent three glorious days riding with their trainers. In each case it was just the two of us and our guide, and we were allowed to trot and canter around the Green Mountain National Forest and on the cross-country ski trails. We were beginners, yet we were soon made to feel very comfortable with our mounts and with the competence of our guides.
For those who love to bring their four-legged best friend along, this place really can't be beat. While they're not allowed in the main hotel (so you need to get one of the chalets that allows dogs), we were able to have her at the outdoors section of the restaurant (she was very well-behaved), and the staff even brought us extra bacon for her at breakfast. We were able to hike with the dog off leash all around the property, and she was allowed to swim in the reservoir. The dog might have had the best time of the three of us.
A few provisos are worth mentioning. First, we were at the Inn during a comparative lull. At early September, summer had just ended but the big leaf-viewing season had not yet started. We realize that our timing was probably very lucky: we had a lot of the place to ourselves, which certainly added to the appeal, and the weather was also glorious every day.
Also, this is not a place to go if you aren't prepared to do a bit of walking. The walking itself is pleasant and lovely, but the whole place would be less fun if you didn't particularly enjoy being on your feet a lot. The beachfront to the reservoir is maybe the better part of a mile from the main hotel and it's uphill on the way back. We enjoyed the workout but not everyone will. We tended to walk a lot around the property as well, so if you're looking for a lay-about holiday (nothing wrong with that), this might not be the place for you. But it's perfect for an active vacation.
Sometimes the staff seemed a bit harried or overworked. It seemed that the restaurant, in particular, was short-handed. While they were friendly and the food was good, things tended to take a bit longer than might be desirable. This too, however, could be a product of our timing (see above).
Finally, the bed was really not all that comfortable in the master room; not awful but not world-class either. But the kitchen and TV room were very nice; wireless internet was also available. The area outside the Woodlands with a small pond was really lovely as well.
In general, we had a great stay and would recommend it to a friend, especially a friend with a dog or two.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located centrally, just 11 miles from Killington, The Mountain Top is the quintessential Vermont Mountain Resort. Set, literally, at the top of a mountain on a private road, the resort rests on 350 acres with sweeping views of the surrounding Green Mountains and a 740 acre lake (with private beach). With a variety of winter, summer and year-round activities, the Mountain Top is the perfect 4-season escape. Accommodation types include rooms and suites in the main lodge, Cabins and guest houses (guest houses are available for short & long term stays). Other amenities include Dining Room & Tavern (outdoor seating in summer), heated pool with a view, hot tub, brand new full service spa and salon, yoga classes, fitness center, tennis court, hiking and mountain biking trails, canoeing, pontoon boat rides, horseback riding, xc-skiing, snow tubing, ice skating, events, conferences and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Groupon, Booking.com, TravelClick, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com and Cancelon so you can book your The Mountain Top Inn & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Mountain Top Hotel Chittenden
- The Mountain Top Inn And Resort
- Mountain Top Hotel
- The Mountain Top Inn & Resort Vermont/Chittenden