“The Perfect Wedding at the most Perfect Location”

The Mountain Top Inn & Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chittenden
Vermont
“The Perfect Wedding at the most Perfect Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2009

I apologize this review has taken me so long, but I was still in newly wedded bliss. Mountain Top Inn & Resort is an AMAZING place to get married. Chelsea was our wedding coordinator and she took care of every detail. With all of the normal bridal anxiety building up to the wedding Chelsea was an angel in making sure everything was perfect even in a torrential downpour during the reception. She is a very confident and wonderful person who knows exactly how to make your wedding a HUGE success!!! Thank you Chelsea. The rest of the staff are quite amazing too as guests kept commenting all weekend how impressed they were with their service and nothing can beat the coordinated servers at the reception who delivered the food in sync with each other even with masks on! The other most fantastic thing about the place (besides the to die for view of the mountains and lake) is the food. Oh, my goodness the food here tops any food I have ever had. It is THAT GOOD! Cooking in bulk for a wedding usually leaves out a good taste, but Guests were talking about how yummy everything is and even said "That was the best...so and so… I have ever had!" Of course we didn't get a chance to try much of the food during the wedding weekend, but luckily we stayed longer after everyone left and we were ravenous. I am still dreaming about the food and it is worth a two hour drive from Burlington just to go to dinner one night. The rooms are also lovely and we enjoyed the bridal suite. If anyone is thinking about having their wedding here, think no longer and DO IT because it will be one no one will ever forget. It is two months later and people are still talking about it. I am forever grateful to Mountain Top Inn for making a wedding of my dreams and we will be sure to be back for our anniversary.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank KittyCake

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Rochester NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2009

Three lesbian couples just had their wedding at Mt. Top Inn, and had a terrific experience. Our wedding planner, Leah Boyer, could not have been more helpful, efficient, knowledgeable ---- and best of all, kept us all CALM! There was a magical overnight snowfall which provided children hours of sledding and snowball fun, but Leah can't promise that for every wedding!
Our reception was in the main dining room, and the food was delicious! Spring for the cheese tray during cocktail hour----it's amazing! We opted to have a pie-and-ice-cream buffet rather than wedding cake, and our guests loved it! The Inn also suggested a separate pizza party for the young ones attending, with a sitter, so everybody won!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
new york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2009

I attended a wedding here recently. I was travelling with 2 families (and 2 dogs) so we rented one of the chalet homes - Pond View. It worked out great. Nice home, lots of room, hot tub on deck.....it was better than i expected. It was a short walk to the main inn (or an even shorter drive). the complimentary breakfast was very good. there is a nice bar for lunch/dinner or just drinks. the view is awesome. i checked out one of the suites in the inn and it was very nice as well.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2009

This ranks on the top of our list for destinations with horseback riding. The property is gorgeous and with over 250 acres there was ample riding on varied terrain. Our guide was professional, fun, and knowledgable about the area. She and the rest of the stable staff obviously love and care for the horses and were able to tell us a bit about each personality prior to our ride. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2009

Here is my first concern. I spoke with a woman at the Activities Center to book two horses before even booking a reservation because we were going to go elsewhere if we were not able to book a ride. We were able to book a ride on the horses and book a ride on the Pontoon Boat. I was pleased. I was even happier because the hotel was able to find a sitter for two hours for us. So naturally I booked our reservation. Mind you, you can not cancel the reservation without losing a good portion of the money you placed, so I had to be sure we were committed to going. Imagine my heartache when I received a call a few days before going that our ride had to be canceled. Being a guest of larger stature, it was imperative that they had a horse that I could indeed ride. I was promised that there would absolutely be no problem. So when I got the call saying they couldn't accommodate me, I was upset and then annoyed. After all, we could have gone to another place as I mentioned before. I couldn't cancel now unless I wanted to lose 1/2 of the reservation. Also, it was a little late to be booking something else. So we decided to put that behind us and go.

When we checked in on Friday night, we found two very helpful staff members. The first thing we did was quickly go to our room in the basement of the lodge to see our room and to unpack. It was late and we were starving. The room was clean and roomy enough for three, but it had to be 85 degrees if not more in this room! We called and asked how to shut the heat off. We proceeded to do that and then headed to dinner.

We had dinner in the Tavern. The waitress could not have been nicer. The food was excellent, but we thought it was pretty pricey for a simple hamburger or BLT sandwich. I felt like we were being taken advantage of. Just because it's there and on the property doesn't mean you should jack the prices. That is just my humble opinion. I will say that one of the staff members at the front desk literally found me at dinner to tell me about two local craft fairs. I was so impressed by him doing that for us.

We headed back to our room to unwind as it was late. The room had not cooled off yet. We called and got a different opinion on how to shut off the heat. Needless to say, I nearly took a sledge hammer to it. The heat roared on all night. We did open three windows, but we were not getting a good breeze so we literally had to open our door and jack it open all night long just to get a breeze to go through. We don't do well in intense heat like that. We were all stuffed up and restless. Very irritated as well since I thought the price of the room was too high to have to put up with this problem.

The next day we had breakfast. We found a table on our own and helped ourselves to the buffet. The food was good and the selection was decent. We then proceeded to approach the front desk so that we could discuss the heating issue. The woman at the desk was an older woman and seemed bothered by us and others asking her questions. Huge difference from the two the night before. She promised to call in someone to help. Someone did come and said it was difficult to turn off for some unknown reason, but he did his best and would come back in 30 minutes or s to check the temp. If he was unlucky at fixing it, he would get us a fan. We took off for the Pontoon ride. That was nice, but freezing cold. The staff member was very pleasant.

When we arrived back at the hotel after visiting craft fairs and shops, the room was hot, but better because there was a fan on in the room. We got a little more sleep because we were cooler. However, when morning came, it was hotter than hell again!!!!

We headed off to breakfast which was the same as the day before. I am glad we didn't miss it as our wake up call never came and we could have overslept! I found the staff at breakfast very snippy as did my husband. When he asked a staff member if they had any suggestions on what we could do that day, she proceeded to tell us to go to the front desk and get a look at a book with things to do. No book exists needless to say. So we headed off to the Activities Center where they helped up plan a trip to Stowe. At least they were nice there.

When we got back to our room, well you guessed it, it was hotter than hell still. Now not for nothing, but none of us could really breath until after most of the day had passed. My daughter was getting bloody noses all day because she was so dried out from this darn heat. Lastly, we are paying a good deal of money on a room we are absolutely miserable in!!!!! The icing on the cake was that the room wasn't made up by the maid service and there were no fresh towels. We were told a lot of maids had called in. So what are we paying for?????

Well today we got up groggy due to the awful heat and also found a bill under our door. My bill was wrong. They were charging me even more than they said they would. I took it up with the front desk after breakfast. The woman there was very nice and adjusted the bill. I booked my reservation with her, so she knew what I was talking about. She was very helpful in adjusting the bill and off we went. It's uncomfortable to have to do that though especially in front of other guests.

The scenery is beautiful. The Inn itself is in a golden location. The places we were at the Inn were clean and nicely decorated.

We do not plan on returning there though. For the money they charge, they should be providing excellent service and it was mediocre at best. The rooms should be made up daily and the heat and air should be able to be controlled by the guest in the room. The service should be pleasant at the very least. We found more crotchety crabs than pleasant people. The staff really either holds you up or keeps you down. I suggest a course in customer service. A survey card at the end of the guests stay, a more lenient cancellation policy and most of all, a look at your prices. Under promise and over deliver. Don't over charge and then under deliver. Word of mouth is a very powerful thing and that swings both ways!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Niccum
New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2009

No our first trip, we had gone for the Equestrian activities as avid riders we found their facilities safe and very well run, really like the Equine staff a lot.. On our last stay there is was just after our wedding, not really our honeymoon but still we did not expect to have our personal and private clothes moved to another room by their staff..

We had checked in and was upgraded to one of their best rooms, we'd been there twice before and appreciated the upgrade. We were told we might have to move if another couple showed up...so we knew that might or might not happen.

What we did not expect was for a teenage staff member to go into our room when we were at the lake and move our personal items which also meant he was handling my wife's underwear... We did not learn of this till we got back to the hotel and we still had the room key, what if we had gone to the room without stopping at the front desk first, we would have walked into a room occupied by others....

They did comp the night and move us to a private house however, the damage was done and we could have pursued further however, we resolved to move on.
---

Now this is an unusual situation however, it showed that the staff are not professionals, kids and people without real training like a Hilton or other established property. Also, the food is only marginal and the main dinning room is expensive for such marginal fare...the bar room and its menu is actually better.

If you stay on the ground floor in the back you may have people walking the grounds in front of your window if that bothers you.

Fantastic view, great equine program for jumping or trail riding as all the horses are very safe but the hotel is not worth the money and lack of professionalism....

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
STL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2009

I found this place via the internet and it looked beautiful. The reality was it was musty and made me sneeze alot and not at all what we expected. We got a room overlooking the lake but couldn't enjoy the view unless you wanted everyone walking the grounds to see what you were up to. We were also located near one of the entrances so sleeping wasn't easy to come by since there was a wedding going on and people constantly went in and out all night long (heals on hardwood floors, chatter, doors closing). There were several trails and activities that which we asked about but the "help" wasn't so much. The most enjoyable part was the meal we enjoyed down in the Tavern just don't expect to eat any time soon.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank neegAbreak
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chittenden
506 On The River Inn
Cascades Lodge Killington
#9 of 13 in Killington
Woodstock Inn and Resort
Killington Grand Resort Hotel

Been to The Mountain Top Inn & Resort? Share your experiences!