“Horrible Experience”

The Mountain Top Inn & Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chittenden
Reviewed December 7, 2008

This inn was the one bad experience we had in Vermont. My boyfriend and I had booked a horseback ride in the morning- there was no mention on the website or phone of late policies (even though we spoke with a manger who knew we were out-of-towners traveling 30 minutes to get to the inn). When we arrived 10 minutes late (the front desk girl quoted the time) we were told out credit card was charged and there was no rescheduling, and no compromise. Any attempt to speak to the manager was ignored. When we arrived home we found out our card had been charged for $145 when we had only booked two rides at $55 each. This was so unfortunate as the location was beautiful. Perhaps one day when the management has changed and they decide excellent customer service is the best way to run a business rather than ripping customers off my boyfriend and I will return.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank isobel16
kstall, Manager at The Mountain Top Inn & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2008

I feel compelled to respond to this review. The guests were booked for the last ride scheduled for a beautiful Autumn day. The ride was completely booked and several other guests wishing to book were turned away. Our guide waited 10 minutes after scheduled departure but couldn't keep the other participants waiting any longer and we had not received a call. The guests arrived 30 (rather than 10 as stated) minutes late. The reservation was taken by our Director of Activities. He insists the policy was explained when the ride was booked and a credit card was provided to secure the reservation. When the guests arrived they were explained the policy again as well as the reasoning behind it. They both called and wrote to complain but we held to policy as other guests were refused and we were out revenue. Additionally, our accountant researched the charge and they were charged $116.60 (two rides at $55 each plus tax) not the amount stated on their review.

Kent Stallter
Guest Services Manager
The Mountain Top Inn & Resort

Reviewed November 13, 2008

We booked our anniversary at this establishment in the hope of getting in a little cross country skiing, too. The place was in the middle of renovations and the exercise room was not serviceable, even though I had asked about an exercise room at the time of booking over the phone. No one told us it wasn't accessible nor that they were undergoing renovations. Then when we got there, we were probably one of only 2 couples staying. We stayed four nights at a very high price indeed. The room we were in seemed to be just above the boiler and it was extremely hot. The room shaked as the boiler and other equipment kicked in. We had to open the windows much of the time, just for some fresh air. The room was stuffy and the bed sagged appreciably in the middle. The saving grace was the restaurant, which was also deserted, but tended to by an excellent chef and sous chef. That was worth the restaurant price. But the room, at well over $350, was horrid and a great waste of our money. On top of that, the front desk was tended to by some young (late teens-early twenties) people who could have cared less about our comfort. There was a woman manager in her 30s who seemed to get the idea of customer service, but she was not aided by the seemingly temporary people. The only other good thing about the place was the decent cross country skiing business across the street. There were knowledgeable people there, even though the snow was minimal at the time. But you don't have to stay at the inn to get the cross country skiing experience. Mostly, staying at this inn was a highly disappointing experience and I would be hard pressed to believe that their expansion plans make it any better without some serious service operations overhaul. I understand that this is typical of absentee owners...and how! When I think of places I definitely would not like to stay, I always use this inn as my reference point.

• Stayed: January 2006
Reviewed October 19, 2008

My husband and I just spent 2 nights at Mountain Top Inn on our way to Montreal. Overall, we were disappointed with our stay, especially because the bones of this resort are so good, but there were far too many negatives to justify the cost.

When we arrived after driving 10 hours from Maryland we were checked in promptly, but when I opened the door to our room I discovered it was not the room I had reserved. When I took my confirmation notice back to the desk I was told there were no other rooms available and that this was not the first time they had experienced "glitches" with reservations made on line. They also told me that my reservation had been "bumped" because they had booked a wedding and needed my room to accomodate the wedding party. None of this made a whole lot of sense to me, but we were tired so we took the room they gave us. No one on the management team ever talked to us about the mix up again or even asked us how our stay was when we checked out. As a property manager myself, I would have offered a complimentary drink at the bar or perhaps a massage to compensate.

Overall the room was nice enough, but the bathroom wallpaper was very dirty and the situation getting in and out of the tub/shower was just plain dangerous. You have to stand on a step-stool to get in and out while accomodating a glass shower door. I cannot for the life of me believe that someone hasn't fallen and injured themselves. The bed we had was so worn out and bowed in the middle that we kept rolling into the middle of it. I finally moved to the second bed in the room as my back was killing me.

The next morning we went down to breakfast. We were not greeted by any employee and after 10 minutes seated ourselves at an open table. After sitting another 10 minutes with no one explaining how to get some breakfast we walked out and drove into Rutland for breakfast.

On a positive note, we did use a kayak and took a trip around the lake which was very nice. We also had dinner in the tavern on our second night and both the service and food were very good.

After spending 2 days at the resort my husband and I just kept saying " this place has so much potential." Right now the inn is in need of upgrading and a stronger management team. The staff we observed were all young and seemed inexperienced regarding how to provide exceptional customer service.

We continued on to Montreal and stayed in an outstanding hotel that cost us $100/night less than Mountain Top. With the current economic situation, I would recommend that you look for a hotel/resort that consistently delivers what the website promises. For the price of a night at Mountain Top there are lots of options.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chseipp
Reviewed September 8, 2008

We has two 4 - night family fun packages which were a very good value. First I'll start with the good things. The setting was beautiful and all the elements for a great vacation (mountains, water, activities, horseback riding) can be found at this location. We chose two cabins Trailside A and SaddleBack B. The housekeeping while we were there was virtually non existent. We got fresh towels daily but the bathroom wasn't cleaned, beds were sometimes made other days they didn't bother. In other words the only reason we knew they were in the room at all was because the towels were fresh. The atmosphere was relaxed which we liked but the property was not well managed with the exception of the Restaurant.

The restaurant staff were friendly and very helpful. The food was okay not great. We liked the breakfast buffet. They lit a bonfire each night for the kids and the one night they were too busy to accomodate us they pointed us to a great italian restaurant up the road.

The pool was dirty for most of the week we were there and I never saw anyone clean it. We had 4 children with us and they preferred swimming in the lake - which was cleaner.

We had really fabulous massages. The equestrian center and kids camp were okay. The kids spent an entire day there (9-3) and spent only 20 minutes actually on horseback. The rest of the time they were grooming and caring for the horses. Despite asking us to bring swimsuits so the kids could go to the lake - they were never taken to the lake.

The equipment, life jackets, etc. at the lake had seen better days. The tennis rackets were falling apart and 3 days in row the closet that holds the beach towels was empty (this at 8:30 AM). It's clear that not a lot of money is going into these things.

The staff (front desk, housekeeping, resort staff) were not well trained or particularly invested in providing great service and there was no sense of managment or ownership on site.

We would not return to this resort unless it was under new management or the current managment showed more interest.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Partyof3CT
Reviewed September 4, 2008

this is simply one of the most beautiful, warm, friendly, and best run places that you'll ever visit. the rooms, food, service and staff will make you feel like you're the most special person to ever stay there. simply the best!

Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed August 19, 2008

Our family of 5 just returned from 3 days at the Mountain Top Inn in Vermont. We stayed in Brookside, which is a large and comfortable 4-bedroom home, about 1/4 mile from the main lodge, with beautiful grounds and a great view of the lake. We loved the views of the lake and mountains, the peaceful setting and the cool late summer weather.

On the whole, we enjoyed our stay, but there were some negatives. First, although we had booked the Lakeview, we were told when we arrived that we were going to be in Brookside because Lakeview was closed for repairs. This was a significant upgrade at no extra charge, but it was presented to us in completely the wrong way. We had no advance notice of the change, and when we checked in we were told only that we would be happy because Brookside was "bigger." So what could have been a pleasant surprise got our stay off to a poor start.

We also had a bad experience in the restaurant the only night we ate there. We waited over an hour for our main courses to arrive, and not all of us had appetizers. When I complained to the manager after the meal, he didn't apologize but in effect asked what I wanted to compensate for the wait. (I asked for and got the cost of the wine deducted from the bill.) Last, the breakfast buffet (included each morning) was adequate but nothing special. You won't find omelettes made to order, fresh waffles or any of the other touches that are now pretty common in better hotel breakfasts.

In short, it's a nice place, but if you are looking for first class all the way, you are likely to be disappointed.

Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed August 15, 2008

We purchased a three-night package at auction the day before our planned trip through New England began. Called the resort and were able to book three nights as part of this trip. Got to the resort after almost two weeks of constant driving and hotel rooms. As soon as we drove up the mountain and found how far the Inn is from the nearest town, we resolved that we would just stay put for three days and enjoy the resort. And enjoy we did.
Starting with a complimentary upgrade from a luxury room to a suite. What a nice way to begin! We had the Lago Vista suite: a whole wall of windows facing the mountains and lake; two flat-screen TVs, a comfy king-size bed, walk-in shower with multiple shower heads. Everything was in great shape. Ate all our meals in either the dining room or tavern. The Inn has three chefs from the Culinary Institute of America as you can quickly tell by the innovative presentation and preparation of their meals. I loved the filet mignon while my husband was served four huge delectable scallops. Spent most of each day at the beach, reading and people-watching. Took the pontoon boat, a lovely trip around the reservoir. Saw loons and deer. Regrettably, couldn't go riding as my sciatic nerve acted up but everyone else in the Inn seemed to. Small groups too, which are much more enjoyable. Get a massage! I told the masseuse that I was going to bring him home with me. We could use our laptop in the suite but only in certain spots, while there seems to be universal access in the various lobby seating areas. We had a wonderful three days and cannot recommend the Inn or its staff highly enough.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chittenden
506 On The River Inn
506 On The River Inn
#3 of 6 in Woodstock
Hampton Inn Rutland/Killington
Best Western Inn & Suites Rutland-Killington
Mendon Mountainview Lodge
Woodstock Inn and Resort
Killington Grand Resort Hotel

Been to The Mountain Top Inn & Resort? Share your experiences!