My husband bought a Groupon a few months ago and we finally went last weekend, March 30 and 31. We weren't really sure what to expect. This isn't a place we would normal travel to, but the Groupon provided us with a good chance to explore something different. The Inn is very pretty and cozy. The front desk staff was polite and curteous. We both got massages (one at a time though, as there was only 1 massouse). They had just built the new "Barn" which housed the workout room, game room, massage rooms, movie theatre, and open spaces for weddings and events. Before I go into the "bad" about the massage, I will say that the massage itself was great. Very relaxing, for the most part. Now, why it was bad. First of all, they charged $110 (not including tip) for each massage. This is just a crazy expensive price for what you get. I wouldn't mind paying this if I received a spa-like experience complete with somewhere to relax before and after, tea or water, a sauna, steam room, or whirlpool. There was none of this. Instead I got a massage in a noisy room. The placement of the massage rooms is right in the main hallway of the lower level. The elevator is right outside the door, the restrooms are next to and across from the room. Anytime anyone came down the stairs and walked to the gym, you could hear them talking. Then people were playing air hockey in the game room, you could hear them too! They were also setting up upstairs for a function, and I could hear them moving tables around etc. Needless to say, the design and layout of the Barn and where they put things was not done correctly. The massage rooms should have been in the very back, where it's quiet. And once again, these massages were $110 each! I'm not sure who came up with that price, but in my opinion, that's way out of whack. We stayed in the Equus Suite. I was a little hesitant at first because it was the first room off the lobby and I was afraid it was going to be noisy. Which it was. They offered us room 117 which was down the other end of the hallway. It was in a more quiet location, but the room was smaller, as it wasn't a suite. We opted for the suite. I also requested a fan. We are used to sleeping with a fan for white noise. If it wasn't for the fan, we would have had to change rooms. There were guests coming in for weddings, so the greetings in the lobby were very loud. The floorboards above us creaked every time the guests in the room upstairs moved. And the restaurant was directly below us, so we could hear that as well. Like I said, thank God for the fan, it really drowned out a lot of the noise. We had a nice whirlpool tub jacuzzi/shower which was really nice! We ate in the Tavern on Saturday night and the dining room on Sunday night. We were the only ones eating on Sunday night (it was Easter) so we opted for the table right in front of the fireplace. We had a waiter named JR in the dining room, he was great. I would highly recommend the pumpkin and sage wontons, they are delicious! The fried artichoke hearts were also fantastic. We also got the portabella quesadilla and chicken cesear salad, both were good. On Saturday we went snowboarding at Killington. Killington is about a 30-40min drive. We took a beginner snowboarding lesson which was fun and then stopped at Lookout Tavern for a beer and snack on the way home. The view of the mountains and lake from our room was beautiful...there was snow when we were there and the pond was still frozen. I bet it's beautiful in the spring, summer, and fall as well. The scenary is very pretty. We took a short walk down the trail. We were going to walk all the way to the lake, but we stopped when we hit the stream. It was getting late and we had just come from our snowboarding lesson, so we were quite tired and sore! The nordic center was closed when we were there. There wasn't much for us to do, which was fine, we just wanted to relax. It was definitely relaxing and peaceful, minus the loud, rowdy groups and creaking floorboards that we could hear from our room. There is a door that separates the rooms from the main lobby area. I shut it periodically. If they could keep that door closed, it would definitely help keep the noise of the lobby out of our rooms. A free breakfast was included in our stay, so that was nice. It wasn't a huge spread, but plenty to fill your belly. Another thing that bothered us was the vacuuming. We were enjoying a coffee in front of the fireplace in lobby after dinner one night, maybe around 9-930pm and all of a sudden a woman started vacuuming the stairs. Well that ruined our nice moment. Nothing like enjoying your coffee, looking at a beautiful fire, cuddling with your loved one, and then a loud vacuum starts up only a few feet away. All in all it was a quaint little spot and we had a nice time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located centrally, just 11 miles from Killington, The Mountain Top is the quintessential Vermont Mountain Resort. Set, literally, at the top of a mountain on a private road, the resort rests on 350 acres with sweeping views of the surrounding Green Mountains and a 740 acre lake (with private beach). With a variety of winter, summer and year-round activities, the Mountain Top is the perfect 4-season escape. Accommodation types include rooms and suites in the main lodge, Cabins and guest houses (guest houses are available for short & long term stays). Other amenities include Dining Room & Tavern (outdoor seating in summer), heated pool with a view, hot tub, brand new full service spa and salon, yoga classes, fitness center, tennis court, hiking and mountain biking trails, canoeing, pontoon boat rides, horseback riding, xc-skiing, snow tubing, ice skating, events, conferences and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Groupon, Expedia, Travelocity, TravelClick, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Mountain Top Inn & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Mountain Top Hotel Chittenden
- The Mountain Top Inn And Resort
- Mountain Top Hotel
- The Mountain Top Inn & Resort Vermont/Chittenden