“What a charming place!”

Ranked #7 of 9 Chester B&B and Inns
Coventry, Rhode Island
“What a charming place!”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

If you're looking for a place to stay in the Chester area you MUST consider the Rose Arbor Bed and Breakfast. The owner/manager Suzanne keeps the house in beautiful condition, the bed room was very cozy and we loved the communal sitting area. There are all kinds of fun knick-knacks too examine and plenty of books to choose from should you want to read. She does have animals, two super friendly dogs and a very cute three legged cat, which we personally loved. If you aren't particularly fond of animals don't be put off! She keeps the dogs secured at all times (unless you make it known you don't mind them free roaming) and the cat will not bother you. Oh, and the breakfast! Everything she served us was fantastic! The only word of caution I'll give: if there is something you don't like to eat, let her know first. We liked being surprised by a mystery breakfast since we will eat pretty much anything. The dining area was very nice with large windows looking out on a few bird feeders that were never lacking activity. Suzanne was a pleasant woman. She is wonderful to talk to and very knowledgable of the area. If you're not looking for a place to stay she also offered high tea and a lunch, neither of which we had...but I'm willing to bet both are great. This was overall one of my favorite vacations, thanks so much Suzanne!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ChelsyB5

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We stopped in at the Rose Arbour for a snack after a long day of cycling. It hit the spot! The decor is super cute and English-inspired. We had a pot of tea (which contained three cups), a hearty bowl of stew, and a nice scone. The pot of tea was covered in a flowery tea cozy. The hosts were very friendly. Would love to come back and stay here!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Burlington, Vermont, United States
Reviewed October 2, 2013

One of the pleasantest bed and breakfast inns I've ever stayed in, either here or abroad, Rose Arbour was a delightful place to relax and have an enjoyable weekend with my husband and my sister and her husband. The hostess, Suzanne, is friendly without being intrusive and her food is just plain delicious. There is a comfortable sitting room for conversation or curling up on the soft couch and another small common room that's perfect for sitting and reading a good book (bookcases had a variety of literature and non-fiction to suit most tastes - a big plus, even though I always travel with one or two books just in case!). The breakfast/tea room has a bay window through which you can watch the birds coming and going to a variety of feeders - a real pleasure that added so much to breakfast time. Nice strong coffee or a variety of black or herbal teas, delectable scones, and scrumptious breakfasts - just the right amount of food to leave you feeling satisfied, but not over-full. Rose Arbour is a lovely Victorian house that has been nicely adapted to a B & B. It is just off the main street and the green, quiet, with a homey, period feel - not overdone Victoriana, but instead a gentle reminisence of an earlier, slower time. We loved the house and thoroughly enjoyed the friendly conversation with Suzanne and her parents. We'd definitely go again if we're down that way!

Room Tip: All three rooms are comfortable and cozy, excellent beds and quiet nights; BTW there are shades on t...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MarleneGMG
New England
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We drive 1.5 hrs a number of times a year to get to the Rose Arbour for high tea. Suzy, the manager, is a very talented baker and a pleasant hostess and she prepares nearly everything from scratch (sandwiches, scones, fresh fruit dipped in chocolate, lemon cake). The tea is served in a dining room which also features various gift items and tea paraphernalia for sale. The Scottish Christmas high tea is a very nice experience at holiday time. Note that high tea requires a reservation in advance.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Our stay at Rose Arbour was lovely! It is a grand old Victorian home that has been converted into a tea room, gift shop and B&B. The B&B is beautifully and comfortably appointed. The common living area has the kind of feel that encourages you to tuck your feet under you on the sofa and enjoy a good read. The beds are very comfortable, sleep restful (we sleep better there than we do at home!), and the hostess gracious. The delicious homemade morning breakfast is practically worth the stay all on it's own.

The weather was a bit warm when we arrived, but our host Suzanne had a window air conditioner already in our room for us to compensate. Rose Arbour's slightly squeaky floorboards, pull-chain ceiling lamps and old doors add to it's charm. It is not new and polished like a modern hotel, but it is cozy and comfortable... just what I expect from a B&B. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Perkinsville, Vermont
Reviewed August 30, 2013

This will be our 3rd or 4th trip to Rose Arbour - a regular stop whenever we visit the area. Being British, it's lovely to find somewhere with "proper" tea (Fortnum's), AND excellent home made scones. This time my wife and I also had lunch, fresh garden vegetables in my wife's salad and a excellent cheddar Ploughman's for me - we tried to resist the scones, but failed. We have also stayed overnight in the past and find it a homey little corner of Vermont. Not to be missed!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Woodland, California
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I waited a week to write my review, because I wanted to make sure I wasn't just writing out of exhaustion. Pros: My husband and I booked a night at the Rose Arbor last minute for only $90 which included a full breakfast, and everything seemed like it was going to be perfect, the place looked quaint, the hostess was very sweet, and there were adorable animals everywhere. Cons: There was only a small screen for one of the two windows, and no fan for air flow, so we were baking all night. There were bug skeletons in the bed, lady bugs, which was weird but totally gross. There were no blinds on the windows, so at about the hour it cooled down enough to sleep, the sun was beating in on us. We ended to bolting at 8am.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kimberly M
Suzanne_Nielsen, Manager at Rose Arbour Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
I am so very sorry to hear that your stay was so uncomfortable for you. If only you had asked, I could have provided for all of those needs. Sadly I couldn't offer my hospitality to you because no mention was ever made to me. Not even when you left. I am always happy to do whatever I can to make your stay as comfortable as possible. For me you are a guest in my home, not just a business. I do apologize if there were ladybugs, as this time of year they do come out. However, as the sheets were freshly laundered and the bed freshly made everything should have been ship shape. Is it possible it rode in on you from outside? Again so sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay with us. Next time in your travels, give the host a chance to rectify the situation to your satisfaction, and I bet your stay will be wonderful.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chester
Grafton Inn
#6 of 9 in Chester
The Upper Pass Lodge
The Upper Pass Lodge
#1 of 4 in Londonderry

Been to Rose Arbour Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!