“We'll make a habit of it”
Review of Fullerton Inn

Fullerton Inn
Ranked #4 of 9 Chester B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 1, 2012

After camping in the area for many years, and then -- after the kids grew up -- patronizing the same bed-and-breakfast in Weston, we decided to move our act to the Fullerton Inn on the commons in Chester. We're more than happy with the decision. The third-floor rooms, which we had checked out a couple of years ago, were large and comfortable and the accommodations in general were down-to-earth and friendly. Brett and Nancy Rugg, who own the place, are amiable folks, and Nancy has a real flair for decor. The lobby with its overstuffed couches and huge fireplace is a great place to meet people -- and we did. We didn't eat in the main restaurant, but we did have dinner and beers in the tavern, and that was fine. We looked at another nearby inn, which was more elegant than this one but seemed a little stiff and forbidding by comparison.By the way, if you stay here, be sure to have lunch at the Moon Dog Cafe that's just a few doors away.

Room Tip: I would recommend one of the two largest rooms, both on the third floor.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Fullerton Inn

Reviewed September 28, 2012

The word isn't out, but this 2012 season's fall foliage is off to a brilliant start. The low lands are already nearing peak in southern Vermont and New Hampshire. The Fullerton Inn in Chester, Vt is in a perfect location to take "leef peeping" day trips. Our corner room on the third floor was very comfortable, clean and had good natural lighting. Located in the heart of the town, the inn gives you a real feel for Vermont. We ate in the tavern rather than the main dining room. The meals were good with great presentation. Our waitress was attentive and we had a very pleasant time. The continental breakfast, which is included in the room charge, offers a wide variety of choices and fills you up for the day ahead.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My husband and I went to the Inn for our 10th anninversary on 8/10/12. We are locals and always try to "buy local". Never again. There was a group on the porch and we were the only ones inside. The waitress said she would put our order in first to avoid a wait. After ordering and waiting a while, the waitress came and said she was sorry but our order did NOT go in first but it would not be too long a wait. We waited. She then came back and said they were out of my husband's order (pork chops) but to pick something else and she would "comp" the meal. He does and she leave. We wait. We are now on our second drink. Waitress comes back and says they, in fact, did have pork chops and gives my husband a very over cooked meal. Mine was better but not great. He tells her this is our 10th anniversary and we had wanted a nice meal so chose close to home. No response. In all. the meal took 2 HOURS with all the waiting. THEN, we get the bill (high) with 18% added on. I would have thought the Inn would have given us a piece of pie or a drink to celeberate our anniversary and to make up for the misery of waiting and waiting for our meal. But no. So we will never go back there again unless new owners buy the place!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LindyLoo57
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Stayed one night. The room was clean and everything was adequate but nothing special.
Was disappointed because the pictures present a much more charming atmosphere.
We were on the second floor with a door to the balcony. The balcony and all the chairs were dirty
it looked like it had been some time since it had been cleaned. They had live music that night in the bar area which was pleasant and the contential breakfast in the morning was good.
All and all I would try another inn next time I go back up.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Asked for an vodka gimlet straight up with fresh lime. Got it on the rocks. When I asked the waitress to take out the ice and add fresh lime she came back without ice and said she added fresh lemon. Ordered ravioli and asked to go very light on cream sauce. When I received the entree the ravioli was smothered with this awful looking sauce. I had to dig to find for the ravioli (only four in the plate) and put the ravioli in a separate dish to wipe off the sauce. It was so awful I didnt finish the meal. Would absolutely not go back. One of the worst meals I have ever had.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Djweinreich
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My husband and I have stayed here twice in the past few months because he has business in Chester. We were there both times during their slow time. We were greeted warmly both times by the Innkeepers, a husband and wife, and our accommodations were very nice, quaint. This is not a chain hotel, so if you are used to the usual TV in your room etc.. it is not the place for you. They have a really good chef; we had dinner there all the nights we were in town. They have a wonderful homemade salad dressing that is like nothing I have ever tasted, I looked forward to eating my salad every night.One night they had entertainment in the Tavern and we enjoyed that very much We found the service to be good and the staff couldn't have been friendlier. In addition, everyone in town that I met was also very friendly. We will stay there again when we are in town.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Our family gathered at the Inn to celebrate my niece's wedding. I spent two nights at the Inn. The room was clean and comfortable. We had dinner on Friday night and were pleased with the menu choices. The food was well prepared and quite delicious. Some of us spent the evening in the Tavern and enjoyed a local musician. The breakfasts were a delight. The actual celebration was well prepared by the bride and by the staff at the Inn. The staff, which consists primarily of the owners, was always courteous and responded to all of our requests. I personally feel they outdid themselves on our behalf. I would highly recommend the Fullerton Inn to anyone lookng for a unique experience.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chester
Grafton Inn
Chester House Inn
#3 of 9 in Chester
Rose Arbour Bed and Breakfast
Hugging Bear Inn & Shoppe

Been to Fullerton Inn? Share your experiences!