“Sad excuse for a "LUXURY HOTEL"”

Castle Hill Resort And Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cavendish
long island, new york
“Sad excuse for a "LUXURY HOTEL"”
Reviewed July 10, 2006

An interesting, old mansion in a rural part of Vermont. The potential is obvious to any guest. Unfortunately the execution of the staff is a mess.
Smiles and apologies are the staff's strong points. They have no training in the art of hospitality.
The pool was in a pretty setting, but it was murky.
The food in the restaurant was disappointing. The wait staff tries but is understaffed.
The breakfast that is included was not as good as found in a Hampton Inn.

• Stayed July 2006
4 Thank gaf14

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed June 17, 2006

I bought a three-night package at Castle Hill, in the lovely Vt. countryside, as part of a birthday present for my wife, and it really delivered -- in every way.

Everything exceeded our expectations: the spacious accommodations, the quality of the food, the massage (one of the very best I ever had), and the staff--who were always helpful and unobtrusive. The breakfasts are excellent too. The spa is for real, with fine Aveda products. The locker rooms have nice saunas. The pool area and hottub and surrounding landscaping is wonderful and unfussy. Of course, Vermont is a revelation. The whole state -- the pastureland and forests, the rivers -- looks well tended, as if by a state groundskeeper.

It rained much of the time we were there but we didn't care. That's how relaxing the place is. Wheh you leave you'll want to promise yourself that it won't be for the last time.

Stayed June 2006
28 Thank Tom_Rolfe
Reviewed May 7, 2006

I stayed at the Castle with my wife who is eight months pregnant and my 23-month-old daughter and I can say I won’t be back ever. The hotel proudly states it is a member of the Small Luxury Hotel group and I can clearly state it is not ready to be a member.

This hotel should be clear on it’s website that it is run by the management of the next-door Clarion which is what it is really is (check website). The service is worst that staying in a Soviet state run hotel, there is none.

As for the food don’t even waste your time the dinner was horrible and made us both sick and when I needed a bottle of warm milk for my daughter the staff informed me on a Saturday night that the hotel ran out of milk and I would have to go out and get my own. The breakfast was utterly disappointing because it was the same served as the free complimentary breakfast at the Clarion.

Also the hotel stay package I purchased came with two half hour massages. I booked a half hour message but when I came out of my massage I was informed that I had received an hour message and I had to pay for the additional half hour which I didn’t request.

Also the website makes it feel as though the property is located on a luxury estate it is not, it is located at the intersection of two rural highways on a postage stamp size property with no waking trails or other outdoor activities available.

Save you money and don’t stay at an over priced Clarion.

• Stayed May 2006
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 6, 2006

My Fiancee' & I recently went to The Castle for a couple of days & had booked a 2 day & 2 night ski & stay package.

This place is absolutely amazing. I cannot tell you what a great time we had. We had room #1 which I was told was the suite....It was absolutely beautiful, with a seperate sitting room, and a 4 post canopy bed with fireplace in te bedroom. It also had a clawfoot tub in the bathroom(I believe every room here does, not sure though). There was a free breakfast included every morning which had everything you could want....coffee juice, bagels, fruit, cereal, and even omelettes.

The resort also has an Aveda spa, which is is excellent. Outdoor Pool & Hot tub arejust what we needed after a long day of skiing. We also took advantage of the spa services and each got a message, they were great, with many different types to choose from.

I saw a few marginal reviews of this place on here and I can't quite firugre out why? Maybe these people were looking for something else, or maybe the staff was different at the time? Who knows. But I can honestly tell you that this was probably the best hotel experience my fiancee and I have ever had. There was nothing that we didn't really like, from the accomodations, to the services, to the staff....an A+ experience.

• Stayed February 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, MA
Reviewed January 18, 2006

I recently took advantage of a "ski and stay" package deal offered by the Castle Resort and was not disappointed. Proximity to Okemo Mountain was great and the inn itself just exquisite. The Aveda spa and gym were top notch for such a small property, though I don't know how people could bear to swim outside! Maybe next time... because I do plan to return.

• Stayed January 2006
Reviewed December 31, 2005

Where do I begin, we loved the Castle Hill Resort. Many thanks to Amy, who warmly welcomed us when we arrived and made sure every time she saw us that we were really happy. The decor was incredibly elegant, the grounds of the manor were picturesque it had just snowed, and the rooms were perfect, beautiful with fireplace, sleighbeds, or (four poster, we peeked in another room), top quality bedding and linens,they even had candles in the room! The furniture was either stately or antique, extremely high quality. I even loved the Bathrooms!!!! We didn't do the spa but peeked in and it looked really nice. The dining was magnificent, live piano gorgeous chandeliers white tablecloth and candlelit!!!! It was soooooo great!!!!!!!!!! My husband said he knew I was going to love it but not this much!!!!!!!This is now my husband and my favorite romantic spot, we live in Florida and thought Vermont was going to be a one time event, because of this inn we will be there at least once a year in winter. Again, if you read this Amy, your warmth and hospitality was greatly appreciated! Thank you we loved the Castle Hill, Room 12! The only request I would make is that you have framed pictures of the Castle, I would have loved to take something back to remember this perfect experience!!!!!!! PS I have traveled for 15 years and am pretty picky about my accomodations, this is the best I have ever encountered, the attention to detail really touched me, I love this place!

• Stayed December 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 14, 2005

I bought a package deal and upon arrival found that the castle was fully booked and for the same price we could stay at the Clarion down at the bottom of the hill. The champagne was chilled and delicious. Dinner at the Castle was out of this world, never did get the massages but they were replaced with another free dinner at the Castle which I gladly took. Weight Watches went out the door. The area was friendly and warm. The only thing I have to complain about was the bathrooms. Now I now what it takes to clean a bathroom but no one there seemed to take the time to do a very good job at it. I also know what it costs to buy a toothbrush and grout cleaner. They might want to invest in both.

• Stayed November 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cavendish
The Pointe at Castle Hill Resort
Grafton Inn
#1 of 1 in Grafton
Woodstock Inn and Resort
Holiday Inn Club Vacations Mount Ascutney Resort

Been to Castle Hill Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!