“The Castle was MAGNIFICENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Castle Hill Resort And Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cavendish
A TripAdvisor Member
“The Castle was MAGNIFICENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed December 31, 2005

Where do I begin, we loved the Castle Hill Resort. Many thanks to Amy, who warmly welcomed us when we arrived and made sure every time she saw us that we were really happy. The decor was incredibly elegant, the grounds of the manor were picturesque it had just snowed, and the rooms were perfect, beautiful with fireplace, sleighbeds, or (four poster, we peeked in another room), top quality bedding and linens,they even had candles in the room! The furniture was either stately or antique, extremely high quality. I even loved the Bathrooms!!!! We didn't do the spa but peeked in and it looked really nice. The dining was magnificent, live piano gorgeous chandeliers white tablecloth and candlelit!!!! It was soooooo great!!!!!!!!!! My husband said he knew I was going to love it but not this much!!!!!!!This is now my husband and my favorite romantic spot, we live in Florida and thought Vermont was going to be a one time event, because of this inn we will be there at least once a year in winter. Again, if you read this Amy, your warmth and hospitality was greatly appreciated! Thank you we loved the Castle Hill, Room 12! The only request I would make is that you have framed pictures of the Castle, I would have loved to take something back to remember this perfect experience!!!!!!! PS I have traveled for 15 years and am pretty picky about my accomodations, this is the best I have ever encountered, the attention to detail really touched me, I love this place!

• Stayed December 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 14, 2005

I bought a package deal and upon arrival found that the castle was fully booked and for the same price we could stay at the Clarion down at the bottom of the hill. The champagne was chilled and delicious. Dinner at the Castle was out of this world, never did get the massages but they were replaced with another free dinner at the Castle which I gladly took. Weight Watches went out the door. The area was friendly and warm. The only thing I have to complain about was the bathrooms. Now I now what it takes to clean a bathroom but no one there seemed to take the time to do a very good job at it. I also know what it costs to buy a toothbrush and grout cleaner. They might want to invest in both.

• Stayed November 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed September 15, 2005

We recently stayed at The Castle and while the grounds are the nicest in the area, the service was really lacking. We were told to check in at a motel on the grounds. The front desk staff was young and obviously untrained. They gave us no directions or information about our stay or even where our room was!! We walked into The Castle and no one greeted us and no staff appeared present. After walking up and down three flights of stairs, we finally found our room and the key did not fit. I had booked a specific room and went right to it. We walked down three more flights of stairs and finally found someone who told us we had been booked into a different room then I contracted for. We then walked back up three flights of stairs to this new room and found it only had a queen size bed and we booked a king. I called down to someone and they told me even though they were empty, they wanted more money to move us to room we contracted for. After refusing and letting them how unprofessional this was, they called us back and agreed to move us. Instead of gving us the key to the new room, they opened it for us and told us we would have to drive to the motel down the road to get the new key if we wanted to lock our door. We were totally floored by this. The new room was larger but very, very dark and seriously lacked warmth (I guess it reflects the management).

After spending an hour on this we went to the pool & spa which was terrific. My husband has a tennis lesson with the pro, Tim. Very friendly guy who sent us to a great place for dinner called Sam's Steakhouse. (There was no way I was going to eat in the Castle restaurant after seeing the service or lack there of... plus it was totally empty all night!). Sam's Steakhouse was about 5 mintues down the road and has a big salad bar and melt in your mouth prime rib. The next morning we went downstairs for our breakfast which was laid out. Nothing cooked....just cereal, fruit and some bread. With all the beautiful, warm B&B's in the immediate area, I would never return to this place except perhaps to enjoy the spa.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
5 Thank travelinbabe
Watertown, NY
Reviewed August 31, 2005

For the price of staying here it should be luxury service and accommodations. The Castle itself was beautiful and the spa was great! The service is the problem. You have to check into the Clarion Hotel down the hill then go up to the Castle. We did this, and then discovered we had a key that didn't work, the staff did not offer to go down and remedy the problem. We had to go back down the hill, wait in line again, and get another key. This doesn’t sound too bad except if your tired travelers this is the last thing you want to do. At a "regular" hotel this would be acceptable but not when your paying 300$ a night in the off season! If you want total seclusion this may be the place for you but it is hard to get assistance when you need it. This is NOT a vacation that will make you feel pampered. Also, the dinners at the restaurant are wonderful, but if you buy a package for breakfast beware. It is the SAME every day- and it consists of cold granola cereal, fruit, and muffins. They all taste great but it gets old after a few days. In my opinion the hotel is average and is not worth the hefty price tag.

• Stayed July 2005
4 Thank Rochelle79
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cavendish
The Pointe at Castle Hill Resort
Grafton Inn
#1 of 1 in Grafton
Woodstock Inn and Resort
Holiday Inn Club Vacations Mount Ascutney Resort

Been to Castle Hill Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!