“Going Back in Time”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cavendish
Manchester NH
“Going Back in Time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Castle Hill Resort over the Labor day Holiday Weekend. Everything was PERFECT including the weather. The castle is a magnificent house built in 1905 that maintains it's originality inside and out. The rooms are decorated with period furnishings and massive interior architecture.
We had dinner at the resort. The rack of lamb was cooked to perfection and I would compare it to the 5* Williamsburg Inn in Virginia. The service, ambiance, piano player and food .........all excellent.
I would say the deep tissue massage at the spa was as good if not better than any I have had at other resorts(worldwide). 1st Class!
The pool area is very picturesque and relaxing. We enjoyed both the pool and the whirlpool spa.
We also drove to the top of Okemo and the views were breathtaking.
My only regret was having to check out!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
CT
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2009

We thought we were staying in the castle but surprised to find our "deluxe king suite" to be a ski condo at the hotel right on the road at The Pointe. It was not luxurious - there are economy hotels that are nicer than this. There was mold in the bathroom and the toilet leaked. When I called to book the accommodations, I was never told I was being lodged in another building -- one where you cannot even see the castle. We were supposed to stay two nights but left as soon as we could the next morning.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank sparkyCT
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2009

We just got back from a three night stay at the Castle Hill Resort and Spa .... and had a wonderful time. Don't believe the negative reviews ... this place is a charming step back in time. We had to stay in one of the condo's located on the property since the Castle was booked due to a weekend wedding. We were given a one-bedroom condo that was very clean, modern and spacious ... with a kind-sized bed, full kitchen, dining table that sat six, two bathrooms and a large fireplace in the living room. Our package came with a bottle of champaign and chocolates on our arrival, which was lovely after a long drive from NYC. We spent one day at the spa, which was terrific. I've been to a number of spas over the years, and these were some of the best massages I've ever received (yes, I went back the following day), so highly recommended. The staff at the spa and hotel could not have been nicer and although they were busy, we were able to have a quick tour of some of the Castle rooms after the wedding guests departed. Based on our tour, I highly recommend booking a room in the Castle (try room #8) ... very romantic. Also, I was able to pull a few "ghost" stories out of the staff ... all very charming (ask about the little girl who's been seen on the back stairs of the servants quarters). Nothing to be frighted of ... the stories just add to the overall charm of the place. As with any trip, nothing will ever be perfect. But if you're looking for a lovely Vermont location ... with great atmosphere, wonderful food, a terrific spa and an accommodating staff, then book a stay at the Castle Hill Resort and Spa.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
New Hampshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2009

We just stayed at the Pointe for one night. if we hadn't prepaid through a Travelzoo "deal" we definitely would have left. The room was depressing and dirty, the location was right on the road, the pools were small and crowded and there was a horrible smell in all of the common areas. The staff was uninformed and unpresponsive and we were so icked out that we cancelled our dinner reservation and drove 30+ minutes to Manchester Center. We looked at a Castle room to see if we wanted to switch - it was somewhat better (we didn't wind up bothering) but still nowhere that we would ever, ever stay on purpose. Stay away from this hotel!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
8 Thank nhfamily500
RHODE iSLAND
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2009

Getting what I thought was a deal on the internet for this location turned out to be "buyer beware". The price listed on their website is $279.00 a night. I signed up for $107.00 which included a twenty-five dollar coupon off a massage,and twenty-five dollars toward a four course meal The massage cost one hundred and five dollars for an hours massage. The dinner was listed at around fifty -eight dollars a person without the gratuity and tax..I had made this resevation over two months prior to going and was surprised to find my room was on the third floor and the elevator was not working. I am eighty years old and my wife is sweventy -two. we did not say but moved into the Pointe next door..It was so much better and less money.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bobliard
Brooklyn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2009

Like a previous poster, I was prepared to be disappointed by the bad reviews. Negatives: the front desk is at another building. There's not much staff around, because the place isn't really popular. There are signs saying not to drink anywhere outside your room. The spa has a small dry-steam room and no sauna.

Otherwise, terrific. A favorite. Great service at the front desk; beautiful building (all stone, dating to 1914 or so); very nice, very large, and absolutely quiet room (with Aveda amenities); good location. My five-star recommendation pretty much hinges on the price, though: I paid $100 a night through Travelzoo. For $200, it would have been perfectly fine. For $150, it would have been very good. For $100, this is the deal of the decade. I only wish we could have stayed longer, and my thanks to everyone who runs the place.

(One more negative: their "suite" is really two smallish rooms combined. We thought it wasn't even as nice as a regular room, especially for near double the price, and the staff was nice enough to let us downgrade.)

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2009

We stayed in the castle. After reading reviews, I was ready to be disappointed...but it was wonderful! The mansion is 100 years old and belonged to a govenor of VT. The rooms are lovely, though not every feature has been renovated. Our bathroom had a claw-foot tub, and though it was clean, it was 100 years old and discolored. I think some reviewers may be mistaking "antique" for "dirty". Having lived in older NYC buildings, we thought this place was stunning and lovely. Some original tiles in the bathroom floor were cracked. Other than that, our two room suite with a fireplace (tealights only-go to the library downstairs for the wood burning fire) in the bedroom was perfect. Beuautiful period decor, hardwood floors, oriental rugs, comfy and pretty couch....All the rooms are different, but we reserved our favorite after viewing them on line.
We were surprised and delighted with the spa; use was included with our room rate. Don't miss the hottub...it was windy and 12 degrees the day we used this outdoor paradise, and went from it to the heated outdoor pool and back to the hottub. We didn't get massages, but felt as though we had, since it was so relaxing. The steam rises about a foot or two off the water, so your face stays warm and the tile around the pool and hottub are heated. You are seeing snow all around, but it's cozy. They give you a cushy robe and slippers, which you can leave in the solarium a few steps from the hottub, and they are warm for you when you get out. Even for non-skiers, this was a delight.

The restaurant was very elegant and a fire in the fireplace added to the romantic ambiance. But the pianist, Tom, really made the dinner or evenings in the library even more special. He's and elderly gentleman who comes when there are several dinner reservations. He willingly plays almost anything you can think of, from classical to showtunes to standards, and is gifted musician and arranger. And a delight to chat with.

The staff was responsive and we had absolutely no complaints.

• Stayed February 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cavendish
The Pointe at Castle Hill Resort
Grafton Inn
#1 of 1 in Grafton
Mountain Lodge at Okemo
Woodstock Inn and Resort

Been to Castle Hill Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!