“Worst service.. ever..”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cavendish
Boston
“Worst service.. ever..”
Reviewed January 11, 2009

Upon arrival at Castle Hill, the resort looked very nice and clean. Our room was spacious and well decorated, with a large bathroom.

The service though, was terrible. Our room hadn't been cleaned by 1 pm, when we came back to our room after a morning at the spa. Once it finally had been cleaned, we realized that we had not been given any clean towels. Not the best for a family of four sharing one room.

The spa is very small, and drafty. I forgot a bracelet in the pocket of my spa robe, and notified the front desk within a few hours. Nobody at the desk seemed all too interested in looking for it, or contacting the people who do the laundry. Weeks later, I have not been contacted. The Pointe at the Castle Hill Resort and Spa offered the worst service that I have ever experienced. If you are looking just to sleep and ski, this is the place for you.

Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank DaisyDukeBoston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
us
Reviewed January 10, 2009

My husband and I spent our Honeymoon at the Castle and had such a lovely time. The Castle itself is absolutely beautiful; romantic and quiet; so warm and cozy! The Staff at the Castle was friendly and helpful. And the spa did wonders to allay our guilt at devouring the decadent and delicious food served at the restaurant!

We arrived at the Castle at night, in a light snow and it was magnificent to see. From the moment we walked in and took in the beauty of the front parlor to the moment we drove down the driveway to leave, we were comfortable and at ease. No detail was overlooked. We felt very special.

We're already planning our next trip to the Castle Hill!

• Liked — The quiet, calm surroundings. The well appointed rooms. The location and the service.
  • Disliked — No complaints. It was truly a wonderful stay.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
massachusetts
Reviewed November 7, 2008

My friend and I stayed two nights at the Castle Hill Resort and Spa and it was the the worst stay I have ever had anywhere.
The first night was okay although dissapointing because our room was dirty and the breakfast was lousy. The second night however was terrible. We were the only guests staying at the inn that night . After eating dinner there we went up to our room to get settled in for the night when my friend decided to get something from her car. When she came back she told me that she smelled gas in the hall. I went into the hall and the gas smell was overwhelming. We searched the inn but could not find anyone or the source of the gas leak. We checked the kitchen but the door was locked, so we knocked on the door of the night person who was staying at the inn. The woman spoke very little english but eventually we convinced her that there was a problem and she called a maintenance man. He found the source of the gas leak. Three gas burners had been left on in the kitchen. By that time the place was reaking of gas and we felt very unsafe there so we decided that we didn't want to spend the night there with all the gas still in the building. We packed our bags as quickly as possible and went down the hill to the hotel. Noone helped us carry our bags down the three flights of stairs, noone told us to evacuate, noone inquired about our well being and noone seemed at all concerned about our safety. The fire dept. was not even called. We spent the night at the Pointe hotel and in the morning we were told we would not have to pay for the second night stay, which to me was nowhere near enough compensation for what we had been through.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the gas fumes
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
7 Thank carbott
Huntington, MA
Reviewed November 6, 2008

Just returned home from a two day getaway, It was the stay from hell. After dinner my friend and I retired to our room for the evening, this after finding out we were the only guests in the whole place(creepy). A short time later I decided to go downstairs to my car to retrieve a book . As soon as our door was opened and I walked out to hallway, the smell of propane gas was overwhelming. I ran downstairs to find some one and there was not a soul around. The gas smell was permeating the building quickly, so I ran back up to our third floor room to tell my friend, and we very quickly decided to leave the premises. Apparently there is one person who stays the night at the castle, but we were not informed of that. As we were running out, a women stuck her head out of a room and said what wrong? We quickly explained there was a gas leak in the building and that she should leave. She called a maintenance person who came to the Inn and looked around and found 3 burners on the gas stove still going. This was the last straw. We drove down to the Pointe, which is one of the castle properties and stayed for the night. We met with a manager the next morning to ask about evacuation procedures in a case like this, and apparently there are no such plans in place. We feel that we were put in a very compromising, unsafe position with not one person offering any help on what to do, or where to go. In hindsight, I would have called 911 and not even dealt with the incapable staff who were clueless as to what needed to be done, but we were just focused on getting out quickly. To be compensated for this nasty experience we were offered a one night stay at the Castle, period. This is ridiculous, if I had not gone to my car that evening and smelled the rapidly accumulating gas, the place could or would have gone up in a fireball by the next morning. The general attitude was so laid back about the whole incident, it was just amazing! you would think the management would be thankful we alerted them to a potential disaster! They need to resolve some safety procedures before I ever consider being a guest of this Inn again. So very disappointing!

• Liked — The Spa and it's manager Jean are wonderful and professional, the rest of the staff could learn from this part of the resort
  • Disliked — Safety issues, and dirty room, along with a really disgusting breakfast!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank swimrgrl
New York
Reviewed October 14, 2008

My husband and I went to the Castle for Columbus Day weekend
we had a great time the food was excellent and the staff was very helpful. We did not run into any problems at all and we will definitely be returning next year.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 7, 2008

Back in January my boyfriend and I called the Castle Hill Resort and Spa one random morning to find that they had a couple's massage available for that evening. The spa was lovely and the service was top-notch (Aveda is one of my favorite beauty lines). The massages were good- not the absolute best we have ever had- but very relaxing nonetheless. The therapists had hungry bellies so you could hear their tummies grumbling along with the floor creaking below them. We were both given goodie bags wtih Aveda products and water bottles (I still use mine at the gym!) which was a nice touch to the whole experience. The hotel looks lovely in person and like a nice place to stay (we stayed in Woodstock).

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Montpelier, Vermont
Reviewed August 31, 2008

I attended a wedding at Castle Hill. The rooms in the Castle were well appointed. The grounds are beautiful. The food was excellent. The staff was friendly, helpful, and all events were on time and went without a hitch.

• Liked — Setting and style.
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cavendish
The Pointe at Castle Hill Resort
Grafton Inn
#1 of 1 in Grafton
Mountain Lodge at Okemo
Woodstock Inn and Resort

Been to Castle Hill Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!