“Nothing More, Nothing Less”

Castle Hill Resort And Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cavendish
New York City, New York
“Nothing More, Nothing Less”
Reviewed September 8, 2011

We got a deal ($99 for one night, other night full price) via Bloomspot. Sadly, when we got the deal, we didn't realize that every weekend until the deal-end was a wedding weekend and the castle was fully booked (only a few rooms in there).

We sprung to get a 1br condo as the "hotel" part of the property looked a little run down. Our condo unit was just right. Nothing fancy, but just enough for the weekend. We were out hiking, biking and brewery visiting during the day so at night, being able to relax in the hotel pool/hot tub was perfect. Our bed in the unit was comfortable and the shower, although very small and "no frills", was fine.

The deal made this property worth it. Not a "must stay here" kind of place but should you be considering staying we had an enjoyable weekend...

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ohthatlaura

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 7, 2011

got the deal thru living social. http://livingsocial.com/deals/10762-resort-getaway-79?ref=BOSDeal101510_2email

The picture is so deceiving. They really ought to put the pictures of the motel. Not really a hotel. When I think of hotel, i picture Marriott or Hyatt. to me its 2 floors, Comfort Suite is nicer than this dump. At first, you think you're staying at the actual Castle. Yes, it notes Point Hotel, but then dont show the picture of the Castle. The town is not cute and everything was dead. Mostly a ski town b/c of Okemo Mtn. Not a scenic ride as you get closer to Cavendish, lots of trailer or dilapidated homes on the highway (side of mtn). The prixe fix dinner was $100/person less the $25 dollars off each. and another $25 voucher for a 50-mimute massage that's starts at $165. not really a bargain when I can get a $39 massage at Massage Envy. Know this, you are not staying at the Castle. ive stayed at the Ritz Carlton and really expected better for 1 night's stay. My husband and I left after 1 night. never again. People were running up and down the hallway and screaming babies. think of a dinky ski motel. that's it. dont let the pretty pictures and facade fool you. Totally embarrassing since I bought the coupon to surprise my husband, and he wont let it go and happily tells the story to friends! LOL!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank H P
Concord, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 28, 2011

Boy did we get a deal through Groupon! We stayed in room 11 in the Castle. It was extremely elegant and luxurious. We had a beautiful king-sized bed, fireplace, and the huge bathroom had an old-fashioned bath tub. Very romantic. The restauant is award winning but a bit pricy. Our deal included a $25. voucher. We used the outdoor pool and hot tub but didn't have time for the Spa offerings. There was also an indoor pool and hot tub at the hotel below. Gorgeous, clean, well groomed, and included a robe for your comfort. Loved this Inn!

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 26, 2011

I bought a groupon for this place and it was not at all like the website showed. It is right off the main road and really not a resort. It wasn't worth the groupon rate either. This is one of those cases where you really get lied to on how the website portrays a place-I would not recommend this place if you are really looking for downtime and a REAL resort.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank 147Adventure
Essex, Vermont
Reviewed August 16, 2011

My new husband and I just returned from our wedding at Castle Hill Resort and Spa and I felt compelled to write a review. My wedding was even more than I could have hoped for. I hold my friends, family, and the staff at Castle Hill completely responsible.

STAFF- The Castle staff exceeded every expectation- honestly they did. Lisa, Kelly and the rest of the staff were incredible. Everything was presented up front and we were never made to feel silly or obnoxious with any of our questions or requests. No detail was too small, no idea too crazy. They made everything happen. We arrived Friday and had complete confidence that everything was taken care of, and it was. Lisa was wonderful to work with- she was always down to buisness, but you could tell she has a heart of gold and truely cared. Everything in our stay went off without a hiccup thanks to the professionalism of these folks.

FOOD- I still am dreaming of the mini chicken wellingtons! The food was both excellent abundant. I hate going to weddings and leaving hungry. Our guests were so well fed I was almost worried about them slipping into food comas! It should also be noted that the waitstaff actually checked back in with each guest- like they were dining solo rather than in a venue of 100. Only one meal wasn't up to par, and it was immediately corrected. Our guests made a point of complimenting us on the food and service.

VENUE- The wedding itself was held in the Castle gardens which are beautifully maintained. The mountain views are stunning, just like most of Vermont. The thing that sold us, other than the staff, food and Castle itself. . . was the tent. The tent is unlike any other I have ever seen. The high ceilings, light fixtures and draping made it feel like we were in a ballroom, not a tent. Even my hard to please Mom was taken aback on how beautiful it was. Also a bonus is that the tent is set up on old tennis courts, with carpet over it- so the ground is nice and flat.

ACCOMODATIONS- The Castle was built over 100 years ago. The craftmanship and details are unlike anything seen today. We affectionately referred to it as the "haunted mansion" throughout the weekend (although we are unaware of any actual ghosts). We were charmed by the ornate ceilings, wood paneling, high beds and pull chain toilets. Each guest room is truely one of a kind and there is nothing cookie cutter about this place. While each room has been retro fitted with a TV and Keurig machine- they still retain the look, feel and furnishings of the time period in which they were built. I suggest for those who would perfer a more tradishional, modern room that they stay in the Pointe Hotel down the hill.

SPA- I wish my review could be completely positive but I'm sorry to say it can't
be. The stylist, massage therapist, makeup artist and all of the service providers did a great job. They were flexible, kind and warm. I looked and felt amazing. Unfortunately the staff at the spa reception desk was not as warm and fuzzy. The prices were also a bit high. It was the one thing that detracted from my day.

OVERALL- Worth every penny and then some. We already plan to return each year to celebrate our anniversary. I could not have imagined how perfect my day was going to be. Again- much is due to great family and friends, but the rest of the credit goes to the fabulous vendors we chose- especially the Castle.

1 Thank jczofrea
North Haven, CT
Reviewed August 14, 2011

The whole stay was just blah. The resort was nice, pool was eh, spa was eh, resort location was ok...just an ok visit in my book. Resort is on a main road w/a freight train that passed thru each day so it can be loud. We stayed @ the Castle (Rm 8). Room was beautiful, grounds well kept, food was good, although I think they confuse "old" with 5 star. A nice place, but not 5 star in any sense of the word. We found a pkg on luxurylink.com which was $500 and included a castle room, breakfast for 2 each AM, dinner for 2 w/1 bottle of house wine each evening, taxes, fees, and 2 25 min spa tratments one day. The rack rate for this pkg was ~ $700, but I'd never pay that. It's VT so you have to go into it knowing there's not a lot to do there and things are fairly scattered around. I was really disappointed in the spa. Its an Aveda themed spa, but I booked a deep tissue massage and my wife booked a regual massage. Her's was good, mine was horrible - the thereapist was brand new a and it was a 50 min treatment. It wasn't at all deep tissue and the treatment was only about 40 min. Plan on $150 ish per couple for dinner if you don't have a pkg and the food was good but not fall off my chair great. It's laughable to have a AAA 5 Diamond Award - basically, if the hotel is willing to pay for the annual fee, they can hang the plaque on the wall. Apparently, there's lots of awards for the resort but not sure if it's lack of options in the area or if they just pony up some dollars to gain exposure. We did do a hike 2 a local park and stopped by the Long Train brewery...again, both we just "ok", nothing special. I think 3 Mountain Inn in Jamaica is waaaaaaaaaay better!

Room Tip: Use luxurylink.com or groupon for best deal.