“Stayed here before, think it was a Clarion then....Ok..now”

The Pointe at Castle Hill Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cavendish
Reviewed August 9, 2009

My Husband and I headed up to VT overnight on the motorcycle. I thought we'd just get a room when we got there since it was off-season. At the last minute he suggested we make reservations. I quickly jumped on the computer to see what was there. I saw the Castle Hill...We'd seen it before and wanted to check it out. I called the number ..not realizing I was calling The Pointe. So we get up there and when we realized where it was, we were debating about canceling and heading up into Ludlow to the Best Western. See, we stayed at this hotel years ago...but I believe it was a Clarion at the time and it was disgusting. But it looked like they did some work to it and it looked a little nicer...as did the room pictures on the computer. So we checked in. The front desk was not rude...but not overly friendly. She made some comment about expecting us earlier when she handed me the $25 off coupon for dinner. (I had told her we were about 1 1/2 hrs away...it was actually 2) and apparently dinner wasn't being served anywhere there at 9pm. So we checked out our room. It was very nice. Large king bed, flat screen TV...the room was clean. and the carpet looked new. I did my usual test. I walk around barefoot to see if my feet get black....NOPE! Only thing I noticed was in the morning I saw some hair in the drain of the shower...eeewww! We had dinner at the Pot belly...very good! and breakfast at the hatchery....very expensive, but a nice view of Okemo mtn. Overall, for a place to lay our head it was ok. the bed was comfy and the bedding was very pretty. the room kinda had an elegant look to it. And We've stayed in ALOT of hotels. Would I stay here again. hhmmm...maybe not....only because it''s about 3-4 miles away from Ludlow so you have to drive instead of being able to walk.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank IRISHGIRL767

Reviewed April 21, 2009

Decided on this hotel as it was recommended by some friends and I was looking for a hotel that is close to the slopes. Okemo is a good mountain for families and this property seemed like a good choice esp. for the price $179/nite.

Finding the hotel was easy, right off the road ! Check in again no problem. It has a nice lobby with a fireplace, two computers and some nice lounging furniture. Game room is right there too. The breakfast room is upstairs (above the reception area).

Room is of a good size and furnished well but the bed is too soft and the walls too thin (u can hear the TV next door as well as conversations). The staff are all very nice and pool area is nice too but when you are on a ski trip, one really need a good night sleep so the noise level is a little too much for us (not the hotel's fault really as there was a ski race going on that weekend and all the families were staying here so the teenagers were going from door to door, opening and slamming doors, laughing out lout and running along the corridor, ALL NIGHT !).

We had told the reception after the first night hoping to change rooms but it was FULL and the main hotel (castle hill) doesnt have a room to take all of us (couple with two young kids) that weekend. After the 2nd night, we had decided to leave instead of continuing our stay. The reception staff was understanding enough when we explained about our leaving early.

Will I come back ? No, might give their main hotel a try but otherwise, I wont be back even if the ski team or race is not there. If you have back problems, this is not the hotel for you coz the bed is too soft. Otherwise, it is a nice hotel esp. if a ski race is not in season !

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank _de_last_one
Reviewed February 26, 2009

i took a group of students from buffalo ny to this hotel and i cant say enough about the service we were given andy the manager was a class act guy the rooms were all newley rentavated and very clean and okemo was only 3 miles away . the hot tub was perfect and spacious the pool was cold but i think there was a problem with the heater

• Stayed: February 2009
Reviewed January 20, 2009

Excellent service with clean rooms. Very friendly front desk staff. We bought the ski+stay package, which didn't really save us any money on the lift tickets but they did throw in the free breakfast which was fantastic. Overall, staying at the Pointe was a wonderful experience and all the recent renovations does add to the charm of the place.

Stayed: January 2009
Reviewed January 16, 2009

Loved every minute of our stay. Husband snowboarded. Kids and I enjoyed the property. Booking was a pleasure over the phone. Great rates for some of the cleanest rooms I've seen. Recent renovations are a dream. Beds beautiful and comfy. Pool and hot tub perfect, great sunlight! Front Desk assistance from Gus was above and beyond. Innkeeper, Andy Smith very accomodating. Thank you.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 9, 2009

As a frequent flyer / traveler (USAir Chariman Preferred & Marriott Platiinum Member), I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who's looking for a clean, friendly, affordable option to staying slopeside. I initially booked the stay, and then my wife checked TripAdvisor after I told her of my decision (big mistake). Some of the reviews were downright scary. But, my view was, we're going here for the skiing, so as long as the beds were clean, life would be good.

Not sure if this was a result of my low expecations, but the hotel completey impressed me. The staff was incredibly friendly, the reception area was warm & charming, and the hallways & rooms were spotless (and modern). For anyone that travels, the best comparison I can provide would be a Courtyard by Marriott. Traveling on this trip was my wife and three children (8/10/12), so the space was tight, but what would one expect with 5 people in one room???

The only complaint I could make, and I mean ONLY, was that the pool could have used a little more chlorine. That's it.

One last time, this is NOT the Four Seasons, the Ritz, or even a full service Marriott or Sheraton. Yes, the price is a little high, but that's because you're 4 miles away from the mountain, and the season is short. This is definately worth the money.

• Stayed: January 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed January 1, 2009

My family and I stayed in this hotel from the 22nd of December until the 25th and were extremely happy with all the accomodations. The check in was prompt and hassle free, the rooms were bright and clean, the lobby area had a living room setting with a fire place and sofas which allowed for us to mingle with other guests, and the pool and game room kept our 3 year old very happy. Everyone from the office staff to the housekeepers to the maintenance crew were extremely pleasant and helpful, a great staff over-all. We also brought our 90 lb. labrador and the outside grounds were large enough for him for get a daily walk in and enjoy some good leashed roaming. We will definitely stay here again, we had a wonderful stay and left with great memories of our Christmas trip. Kudos to the Pointe!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cavendish
Jackson Gore Inn
Grafton Inn
#1 of 1 in Grafton
Ludlow Colonial Motel
Holiday Inn Express Springfield

Been to The Pointe at Castle Hill Resort? Share your experiences!