“Very pleased with accomodations!”

The Pointe at Castle Hill Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cavendish
Reviewed January 1, 2009

My family and I stayed in this hotel from the 22nd of December until the 25th and were extremely happy with all the accomodations. The check in was prompt and hassle free, the rooms were bright and clean, the lobby area had a living room setting with a fire place and sofas which allowed for us to mingle with other guests, and the pool and game room kept our 3 year old very happy. Everyone from the office staff to the housekeepers to the maintenance crew were extremely pleasant and helpful, a great staff over-all. We also brought our 90 lb. labrador and the outside grounds were large enough for him for get a daily walk in and enjoy some good leashed roaming. We will definitely stay here again, we had a wonderful stay and left with great memories of our Christmas trip. Kudos to the Pointe!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for The Pointe at Castle Hill Resort

Reviewed November 19, 2008

Do not believe the photos or the reservation agent on the phone. The information they provide is misleading. The Castle has only a few rooms which is what they showcase. The Point, the "other part" of the Castle Hill Resort can only be described as downtrodden. Upon arriving, you notice a run down looking 2 story building located right on Route 103, a highway. This is The Point. We thought we'd pulled into an outdated condo complex. Our disappointment at the exterior was matched by our disappointment at the interior. While the common area next to the lobby looked decent, the remainder of the facility has a run down feel derived from hard use, lower quality furnishings and too much deferred maintenance. The pool looked to be an unhealthy yellow/brown color, so we avoided that altogether. There were no eating facilities available at The Point when we were there, everything was at The Castle. The Castle is located up an extremely steep drive not attached to The Pointe in any way, it looks like an entirely different property. Since my wife is in the late stages of pregnancy, she could not possibly walk the distance between the The Pointe and The Castle. After looking at more than one room, we were told by the front desk that since we had booked the room during the slow season they had no ability to re-book the room and that WE HAD TO STAY THERE. An unbelievable thing to say to any customer. At that point any inclination we had to stay there after all was definitely gone.

Furthermore, we called the general manager twice to discuss our disatisfaction. He never returned our messages. Very bad business and probably the most upsetting part of the experience.

We spend one weekend a month at hotels and resorts generally within VT. Take it from us, do not be fooled on the phone by the charming reservation agent that will fraudulently convince you that The Pointe is anything other than a second rate motel on a main highway.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank marthage
Reviewed October 4, 2008

Firstly they couldn't find our reservation at the Castle Hill itself and told us they were fully booked - on pressing we were offered a condo at the Castle or a suite or studio at the Pointe - but there was no dinner available and no breakfast! Sadly it was a busy time of year and all other hotels in the neighbourhood were fully booked plus it was already mid-evening. The rooms we were shown smelled awful so we took the least bad - bed had only one bedside table, walk to it long and smelly. No milk or creamer available, when we asked were told they had run out! And no breakfast! This is a cheap hotel charging expensive prices and why it got the ratings it has I do not know. We hoped for a romantic night spot on our once in a lifetime Vermont trip and this was not it. If you want a motel at ridiculous prices come here, if you want a decent hotel go somewhere else with character and breakfast. And maybe dinner so you don't have to dine out with one unable to drink. Apparently they had a wedding, that was the reason, how were we supposed to know that? What a dump. Unattractive buildings, inconvenient check in system, a let down.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank oldohu
Reviewed July 28, 2008

I stayed at the Pointe at Castle Hill in February of 2008 for 5 days and had mixed feelings about my stay. After reading some of the reviews I was a little wearing about making a reservation, so I called and spoke to someone at the hotel. She informed me that all of the rooms had been recently renovated, but when I arrived at the hotel it looked as though they were still in the process of finishing some things up. Some of the baseboards were missing, some of the walls had been half painted and the carpets in the hallways looked very dingy. I didn’t really think anything of it at first, but throughout our stay I started to notice that there wasn’t anyone there finishing the renovations that were left. I would hope they have finished the renovations since our stay.
All of the rooms were supposed to be non-smoking, but our room reeked of cigarette smoke. We had booked a room with a king bed and when we wanted to switch to another room, with the same size bed, was told that the only available was a room with two queens. The room did look pretty nice, but the work done to it seemed shoddy. I liked the flat screen tv and the leather chair and the bed linens looked nice. I also liked the fireplace, game room, and tea available in the main area, but the continental breakfast was just average. The restaurant was only open in the evening on the weekends, so we had to leave the hotel to eat.
We booked the ski and stay package, but had some really bad weather. We didn’t end up going to the mountain some days, because of rain/ice, so we tried to get some of our money back for not using the lift tickets. We were told that we could get a discount, but the person that told us that was not there when we checked out and they wouldn’t honor it. We were also initially quoted one price and after check out was charged more. I called to dispute the charge, but the management never did anything.
At first glance I thought the property was great, but I left with a weary feeling about our vacation. I don’t know that I would stay here next time I come to Okemo.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank RoxyGrl756
Reviewed March 17, 2008

We booked a room for our family of 5, and I was pleasantly surprised to get exactly what was promised. The lobby is warm and homey with a fireplace and couches, a table with hot coffee and tea 24 hours a day, and a table with all the literature you'd need to find anything anywhere in Vermont. The front desk personnel were friendly and accommodating. I started to worry a little when we walked down the hallway which had an extremely worn carpet, missing moldings etc...but I think they are actually in the midst of renovating. My fears were allayed when we got to the room. An extremely spacious clean room with 2 queen beds, a pullout queen sofabed, leather armchair with ottoman, desk, new flat screen tv, huge clean bathroom and warm! And the best part was that the beds were more comfortable than mine at home!

The only thing that is confusing is their website. There is the "Castle at Cavendish Pointe" which is the adjoining property and I think they share services. That is the more upscale of the two hotels.

The hotel also is not cheap. We paid the AAA rate of $188.10 per weekend night. But, considering staying at Okemo was going to be more like $700/night, this seemed like a bargain. And when traveling with 3 kids, we like to be comfortable so it was worth it. However, for that price, I wish there was a better breakfast included. It's not a bad continental breakfast (there was confusion as to whether or not it was included...but we weren't charged at all), there just wasn't enough for all the skiers who were trying to get out at the same time. You could also pay a lot (I think like $12.95 or something like that) for a hot buffet, but it isn't worth it. The other alternative is to pay $2.99 at a local place called "The Hatchery" for a breakfast to go. Or just eat there if you are a non-skier like me.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed March 13, 2008

We stayed in the Clarion just one night and were pleasantly surprised. The room rates when we stayed were very reasonable and we were upgraded to one of the 1-bed suites in the new wing, and I have got to say that it was a really fantastic suite considering the price (about $160) - The furniture and fittings were brand new, we had a full kitchen, lounge area with fireplace, separate bedroom with kingbed and a large bathroom. We stayed here as a stopover while traveling through Vermont and I guess the hotel is really just a nice motel - the nearest town is about 5-10 mins drive away and the ski area which this hotel caters for is about 10-15 mins away, there isn't really much within walking distance. The hotel has some amenities such as a small pool and fitness room, and a small arcade room for kids.

We ate at the restaurant at the Castle Hill Hotel, its posh sister hotel literally two mins walk and we had a very nice romantic dinner.

All in all a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2008

The water turned yellow brown, we could brush our teeth wash or do anything this was in the afternoon. The hotel said everything was fine. The hotel advertised alot and gave almost nothing. I would not stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cavendish
Jackson Gore Inn
Kedron Valley Inn
Kedron Valley Inn
#5 of 6 in Woodstock
Mountain Lodge at Okemo

Been to The Pointe at Castle Hill Resort? Share your experiences!