“Cajun veggie burger not Cajun”
Review of Birdseye Diner

Birdseye Diner
Ranked #1 of 15 Restaurants in Castleton
Cuisines: American
Reviewed May 11, 2014

I have eaten at this diner before and was impressed. (And it is a real diner car, not just a place using the term "diner.") However, this time I was a bit disappointed. It was a Saturday afternoon slightly later than lunch, but the place was still fairly busy. My husband had never eaten here before, and since we were on the way back home, we decided to stop here rather than in nearby Rutland. We both ordered the Cajun veggie burger, but when it arrived there really was nothing "Cajun" about it. I was expecting a spicy patty, but it was just an ordinary veggie burger. We also had a side of sweet potato fries which were way overdone and had no real sweet potato flavor at all. The burgers come with potato chips, and my husband said his seemed to come from the bottom of the package. My husband also had a Coke, which was dispensed using a nozzle/hose like you find in a bar, and he said it was pretty weak. I had a chocolate shake, which is made with hard ice cream and milk in an old-fashioned metal container which they give you along with a glass. Like the "old days" when the shake was larger than the glass and they left it all with you to "top off" your shake. Now, that was good! We also seemed to wait a long time for our order, but it was busy and from watching the plates leave the kitchen it looked like no one ordered anything simple. I think, but don't know for sure, that there was one cook on the line. I wouldn't *not* go there again, but from here on out my expectations may have to be a little lower, and any recommendation will be with a grain of salt.

There are newer reviews for Birdseye Diner

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Walked in on Sunday morning at 10:30 with 4 people, sat right down and had a very good breakfast. Typical diner fare, the service was great - very attentive, pleasant. Doesn't seem like you could go wrong.

Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

Friendly people, had the fish fry. Plenty of fish and cooked well. If you like greasy food this is your place. Serves breakfast also.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

Stopped by for a late lunch mid-week. Service was great and the food was good. The inside is well maintained to keep that 40s style diner intact. The only little problem I notice was that customers tended to congregate in front of the main entrance/cashier area making it difficult to come in or out especially during busy times. I will definitely go back next time I am in the area.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

Food was good, staff friendly, clean. Plenty of choices on the menu. Good stop after a college tour.