“Horrible... Manager says... if you want a medium steak then order it medium well!!!!”
Review of Iron Lantern

Iron Lantern
Ranked #6 of 15 Restaurants in Castleton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Ph: (802) 468-5474 ~ Fax: (802) 468-2362 ~ Email: ironlanternrest@aol.com
Reviewed June 16, 2012

My family went to the Iron Lantern as a celebration of my son's graduation. We ordered two of the Flat Iron Steaks ($21.00/each) and one New York Strip Steak. The food took FOREVER to come out (which would have been FINE if they were actually cooking it) but when the food came to the table both the flat iron steaks were PERFECT... BOTH ordered MEDIUM... BUT the NY Strip Steak was RAW!!! My husband sent it back once... came back raw still (after 2 min) ... sent it back again... again RAW... then it came back via the manager and it was BLACK!!!! My son and I BOTH shared our meal with my husband/his dad.... they took it off the bill. I went to pay and I was explaining to the manager that this was really not a very nice experience.. that if I am going to pay $21 a plate that I expect to be able to eat it... not share it because they couldn't cook two different types of steaks. AT THIS TIME I suppose it was a very young grill cook decided to come out of NO WHERE and share his opinion about this restaurant being ranked #1.... the manager had to push him back into the kitchen. I waited.... when the manager came back out I then proceeded to inform her that she can now deduct more off my bill for being treated completeld disrespectfully from the cook! My bill was taken care off... which was NOT my expectation (not 100%) but the treatment of BOTH the manager and the cook!! Appauled!! They will NEVER get our business again... and I will warn you all that if you complain you may be horrifically embarressed by some teenager from the kitchen!!!

3  Thank DezTrap
davidandlisaironlant, Owner at Iron Lantern, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2012

I am the manager that said not order you steak medium to get it medium well ,but that every ones opinion of what medium is is a little different and when ordering here at the Iron Lantern maybe her husband needed to order his steak medium well. Tried everything to please this family. Recooked the steak twice, he didn't even taste it nothing seemed to work. Our waitress was berated in front of a restaurant full of people more than once, as others in the restaurant were commenting on this families behavior. In the end, after continuous conversation at the front door about food that wasn't hers to eat but her husbands , father and two sons waiting in the car, I informed this person that I was buying the entire meal and would she please just leave. The waitress did get a tip from the management.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

As usual the place was great, supper salad bar, many choices for dinner, a little music. I consider this one of the better choices in the area. Could have used another waitress in our area but the service was ok.

Reviewed April 28, 2012

We have gone to wing night on several occasions. However, the last time we were there the wings looked as if they had been cut in half. They certainly were not worth the 25 cent they charged. When brought to their attention, the owner, after passing our table many times didn't seem to think it was important enough to apologize. Will think twice before dining at this restaurant in the future. Word of mouth is great advertising.

2  Thank Ted L
Reviewed April 25, 2012

For a college town, 25 cent wings sound like a bargain to any student. We were very disapointed as local residents to find that their chicken wings were about as big as your thumb and certainly no bargain. The wait for our simple wing order was 45 minutes. The owner/operator had no appologies or regrets and didn't seem to care about our disappointments. Disappointing food and disappointing P/R. Don't waist your time or money.

3  Thank Brian G
Reviewed April 5, 2012

My family recently ate at the Iron Lantern and have several times over the years. I must say, we have never been disappointed! The salad bar is excellent and I am a huge fan of their French Onion Soup (as is most of my family). The atmosphere is nice and relaxing which is just what we look for! If you're looking for a nice dinner in the area, good drinks and atmosphere at a reasonable price, you won't do much better than this local favorite!