“Out of This World!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jackson's Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Canaan
Jackson's Lodge
Colchester, Vermont
“Out of This World!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

We had the best time! Peace and quiet surronds you. If you love the outdoors anything from water sports, fishing and hunting it is at your finger tips! The Jackson family made us dinner just to make everyone feel at home.

The cabins were as if we lived there not missing anything. Every detail was looked after!

The lodge is unreal like a Bing Crosby movie! Ask Gloria to give you a tour!!!!!

It is very hard to find places like this these days. You will remember your stay forever!

Room Tip: Bring a radio sometimes it is to quiet :)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Newbury , Ma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

To anybody considering visiting Vermont for the 1st or 100th time, I urge you to check out Jackson's Lodge in Canaan, Vt. Its on the Canadian(Quebec) Border, which has its advantages. I will mention those later. I have traveled all over this great country of ours and have been to many a hotel, inn, b&b, etc, and in New England this is by far one of the best hidden jewels, The picture behind me is of Lake Willoughby, Westmore, Vt. In New England it rivals the views you get at Mt Major, of Lake Winnipesaukee, I say rival but really I think far exceeds it. Westmore is 35-45 minutes drive from Canaan but sooo worth it. I will go one step further, I have been fortunate enough to hike in places such as: Glacier National Park, Montana, hikes in Yellowstone, many hikes in Yosemite, Zion, Bryce, and Arches to name a few, I am not saying that this hike is like those hikes, what I am saying is this, the 1.7 mile hike up Mt Pisgah that overlooks the lake can be challenging, but the feeling I got when I reached the spot you see me in, was the feeling I got when I climbed the a fore mentioned hikes. Only those who have hiked out west will understand. The openness or expansive view was a total surprise and that is way I rank it so high. Now 10-15 minutes from Wallace Pond(the pond Jackson's Lodge is located on ) are Averill and Mt Brousseau, these climbs are not as long or difficult but provide a good workout and views. Also the location of Jackson's Lodge puts you roughly a half hour from the world famous Balsams,and historic Island Pond, Vt. Earlier I mentioned why being on the Canadian border has it's advantages and here are a few:

A) no cell service, I hope I don't have to explain that advantage, but if you need to use your computer you can get a wireless connection.
B) because its on the Canadian border, you could, if you chose do some duty free shopping.
C) its secluded. ye,t rt 114 can get you to the above mentioned places easily.
C) Wildlife viewing. I spotted the juvenile bald eagle nesting very close almost daily, to the occasional moose sighting, to the very friendly ducks.The fisherman and his wife in the cabin next to us they had a few nice catches, and i'm sure a few fish tales when they got home. Also, it is said that anyone who has heard the lonely cry of a Loon, will never forget it, well I heard that beautiful cry daily. Loons, if you are not familiar with them are human shy, but there were four that I saw. My best viewing of them was at 630am kayaking in the fog.
D) the log cabins face west, overlooking, Wallace Pond why is this important? The sunsets were and shall remain memorable.

Before I end I need to mention the incredible breakfast we ate. I think my crepes were world class, but since I haven't been to Paris you'll have to try em yourself. Breakfast is served on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

As for the owner, Gloria, you could not ask for better host. I believe her father would be proud of how she has kept the rustic feel to the lakeside cabins. I am not trying to gain any brownie points. It is the truth. She, Mark and Deb make you feel like you are part of the Jackson Lodge family.
I write these comments with mixed emotions, why, because I want others to experience what we did, but I also hope when I call again to reserve a cabin, it is not already booked. If I worked for Triple A, Jackson's Lodge would get 5 stars.

Sincerely

Kevin a very satisfied customer

God Bless you Gloria

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed in a two-bedroom cottage at the Jackson's Lodge for four days this past summer. Gloria and Mark were the best hosts I have ever seen and from the very first moment we were treated like family. The property is huge and very well-maintained, the cottages are comfortable and spotlessly clean, and the lake is so peaceful. But the warmth and friendliness from the Jackson family is the best reason why we will go back there again and again.

We especially enjoyed the delicious Vermont country breakfasts on weekend mornings, the ready supplies for campfires always by the lakeside, the canoes and kayaks waiting for us whenever we wanted them and watching the hummingbirds fluttering around in flocks. My daughter enjoyed catching crayfish, going back and forth between our cottage and the lodge by herself (the whole property is so safe, and there is a great game-room in the lodge), and planting her very own little spruce tree on the grounds.

Mark and Gloria, if you are reading this, we are definitely coming back next year! :-)

Room Tip: Woodcock was a great cottage just by the lake.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Midlothian, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

We have been back and back since our first trip to Jackson's, and each time, had a wonderful and restful stay. Where else can one sleep on line dried sheets, and eat delicious homemade bread and raspberry pie? The beach is lovely, always kept clean. . . with even a place for a campfire, which we had one night while we were there. The kids--and there were lots, of all ages--organized games, swam, caught crayfish--and made good and lasting friends--now looking forward to NEXT year, and getting together again. We watched the cleaning crew prepare cabins for new visitors, and let me tell you: it was spotlessly clean when they finished. As others have noted, Gloria, the owner, is right there, and aims to please in any way possible. The breakfasts (sadly, only 3 days a week!) were wonderful, with homemade bread, jam, and this time, corned beef hash. If one is so inclined, the lodge has ping-pong, games, a piano, and books--great for rainy days for the kids. We are like the last reviewer, and have already booked our space for next summer!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

We enjoyed our other stays at Jackson's so much that this time we returned for a longer visit. Both my husband and I agreed: best vacation ever. We came home refreshed and rested after 2 weeks with lovely 52 degree nights and sunny, pretty days. The water in Wallace Pond was warm enough for comfortable swimming--our grandkids enjoyed that, as did we older folks. Do note: the restaurant that was on the premises last year did not open this year, although Jackson's Cafe on the weekends is still there. Excellent breakfasts with home-made treats are available on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The cook will make to order a selected list of baked goods as well, including hubby's favorite--raspberry pie. This is quiet, relaxing vacation--without phones, tv or electronics (internet connection is available if necessary in the lodge), not an exciting, nightlife-kind of trip. The owner is accommodating and friendly--both the cabins and the grounds are keep clean and inviting. The scenery in the area is unbeatable. Clean, sparkling lakes and rivers, and miles of magnificent forests. We can't wait for next year, and already are planning our trip to Vermont for 2012!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2010

Jackson's Lodge is located in Canaan, Vermont, in the northeastern corner of the state, bordering on New Hampshire and Quebec, on beautiful Lake Wallace (called "Wallace Pond" by local people). Accomodations are cabins, two and three bedrooms, all easily accessible to the lake. The first comment my husband and I made, on entering our cabin: how nice and clean. . . sparklingly so. We had a comfortable living room, and three bedrooms with comfortable beds. A nice porch completed our accomodations. This is a place for peace and quiet, not night life or stimulation. We had no television, and there is no cell phone coverage at this point, in the immediate area, nor did the cabin have a phone. We enjoyed the wonderful scenery, the ample wildlife in the area (moose galore!) On the grounds, in the lodge building, is an excellent restaurant which enhanced our pleasure in the visit (and we are folks who travel "on our stomachs!") Gloria Jackson, the owner, is most agreeable. . . and aims to please her guests in any possible way.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank greyhairedwanderer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canaan
Colebrook Country Club & Motel
#3 of 7 in Colebrook
Bear Rock Suites
Bear Rock Suites
#1 of 7 in Colebrook

Been to Jackson's Lodge? Share your experiences!