WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of G.G.T. Tibet Inn

G.G.T. Tibet Inn
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Burlington
Boston MA
“Owner's have issues, alright !”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

I've stayed here twice. The rooms are simply but adequate for the price. However, as has been pointed out in several reviews , this immigrant couple from Asia ( supposedly Tibetan, but they look Chinese...whatever) are very suspicious and rude, borderline mentally unstable. On my first visit the owner ( very prophetically ) asked me " didn't you have a problem here before with my wife"? I told him I'd never stayed there before, but he shot back a dirty look, with something like " we don't put up with problems here". Such a friendly greeting! I made the mistake of returning a few months later, based upon price. Upon check-in, the previously unseen wife photocopied my driver's license, without asking, which I feel is an invasion of privacy. When I asked why, I was told " It's for the police". I guess this must be a hide-out for escapees or those on the run... not to reassuring. It was a bitter cold winter night, and the heat would only go on after it was turned up about 85 degrees, but I 'd rather roast than freeze, and I didn't feel like having another interaction with the rude owners. In the morning, the woman said she needed to inspect the room before I checked out. She came back to the desk and sarcastically asked, " Did you enjoy blasting the heat up to 100 all night?" I explained that it was broken, and that furthermore I did not appreciate her rudeness. She shot back " Well then don't come back, old man ". Needless to say, I would not spend money here again, even if the rooms were only a dollar!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank richardhk3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Chateauguay, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

We did not expect much from this little hotel especially after the mitigated reviews we read however, we decided to stay there based on the price (70$ a night for double occupancy) and we were absolutely delighted. Very clean, nice fresh smell, room large enough furnished with a sofa, a fridge and a microwave. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank Happy_2bTraveling69
Bradenton, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

My wife and I were looking for a place that accepted small dogs (10lbs.) When we got there we saw a lady walking a dog in the hallway I thought GREAT I saw no signs stating no pets the owner didnt ask, We paid for a night and the problems BEGAN!! He told us we could only make 2 local phone calls,no problem we have cell phones.We noticed the bed sheets looked dirty so we removed them and slept on our own that we take with us when we travel.We read in his manual that he leaves in the room, that they dont wash the bedding daily, (cost to much) no soap in the bathroom which was dirty.That same evening he saw my wife walking the dog and got in her face about it and then confronted me.I told that we saw other people with pets and thought pets were allowed,He started screaming at the both of us calling us liers, I apologized and offered him a pet deposit, he then walked away, he turned the A/C off in our room and came back and told us that we have to leave , I said fine give us our money back and we'll leave, he refused and said if we don't leave he'll call the police on us for tresspassing,He said that he has friends that carry guns for people like us.He took a picture of my car and licence plate and followed us down the driveway as we were leaving. We stayed at the Quility Inn 1/2 mile down the road WOW what a difference!!! This Sicko owner needs to be stopped before someone gets hurt!!

Room Tip: Beware of this place, Beware of OWNER!!
18 Thank Gary_V679

Travelers are raving about these Burlington hotels

Oradell, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

This is probably the best value in Burlington if you get the $69 price. Definitely not worth the $206 some people paid. The room is spacious; the king size bed was comfortable; the room was very clean with what looked like recently replaced rugs. The TV was fine as well as the furniture, if a little dated. There is wifi available but you have to ask the owner for the password.

The young ladies from Montreal have my sympathy and in retrospect I'm glad I decided NOT to argue about my price discrepancy at check-in! The travel guide that recommended this property indicated that there was a senior discount. The owner confirmed this on the phone indicating it would be the amount of tax which is 9% in Vermont. At check-in when I asked for the discount that was offered on the phone, the proprietor responded that the price I was getting was very good (which it was). He then proceeded to show me another reservation which was $20 dollars more. At this point I decided not to press the issue (lucky for me!). When my partner asked about the availability of using the pool the owner replied that; "he (me) probably thinks its dirty". A strange remark to say the least. The pool was in fact very clean and well maintained. So.....if you want a good clean motel at a very reasonable price, the Tibet Inn is the place to stay in Burlington. Just try to limit your interaction with the owner:-).

4 Thank joelgitnick
Empire, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

We went here after fleeing a local low-cost chain motel up the road. We had no idea what to expect, but the prices were 25-30% less. The room was clean, the caulking in the bathroom was well-done, and the power-flush toilet worked perfectly. The beds were upscale for the price $66 for a weekday double. For me what pushed it from "very good" to "excellent" was the picture of the proprietor with the Dalai Lama in the lobby. Good vibrations!

1 Thank David_B_of_Michigan
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

DO NOT STAY HERE! When I read some of the reviews of people saying that the owner was very rude, I thought that they were probably over exaggerating but they weren't, they weren't being harsh enough. We had a reservation for 3 people on a Thursday night during the moving day weekend for the Vermont universities, therefore, everything else had been completely booked. We arrived to the hotel at night and went to check in when the owner revealed that we would be charged 20 dollars extra because we were 3 people instead of 2. We politely told him that we told him over the phone that we would be 3 people so we wanted to understand why we were not told ahead of time so we would be prepared to pay the amount. Since we did not have a choice of a place to stay and everywhere else was booked, we said we would pay the extra 20 dollars. He then ripped up our bill and told us that he did not want our business anymore. We had apologized for the misunderstanding several times and asked if we could just stay there since we were 3 girls in our early twenties with no where to go, in an unfamiliar city, at night time. He simply said it wasn't his problem and we had to find another hotel. Overall it was an awful experience, and I have never spoken to anyone as rude as this man was. We were not being rude to him, we simply wanted to understand why we were being charged extra, which I believe is a valid question. We never saw the rooms but the hallways were very dirty and falling apart. Just do yourself a favor, and do not stay here!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
10 Thank JenB231111
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

The rate was horrendous. I could stay in a 5 star hotel for the price of $206.
pros: partial lake view (big deal, I did not come to Burlington to see the lake through that motel window)
Cons: rate was bloated
very old model TV set
very limited channels
no internet
the room smells
uses wallmart brand cheap dispensing soapi / shampoo
the only vending machine is not working. Takes in money but does not dispense the drink
the towels they offer are very limited and small
swimming pool is not clean

Room Tip: Ask for the price and then you must check the room before you sign in.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank John E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burlington
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
Quality Inn Shelburne
Quality Inn Shelburne
#1 of 6 in Shelburne
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Burlington South
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#8 of 14 in South Burlington

Been to G.G.T. Tibet Inn? Share your experiences!