“Cheap, but mind-bogglingly rude”
Review of G.G.T. Tibet Inn

G.G.T. Tibet Inn
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Burlington
Reviewed June 9, 2012

I settled in to fairly clean room (owner seemed friendly), took a shower, then walked down to Magic Hat. On my return, the owner thought it would be helpful somehow to tell me that I smell like pee to him. He asked if I could use the side entrance so I didn't have to walk past the front desk with my apparently massive stench. I decided to get a refund and leave for another hotel. Got a partial refund so I basically paid $35 to take a shower then be insulted.

• Stayed: June 2012
9  Thank VolgusSildrahar

Reviewed November 7, 2011

We thought that although this place was a little run down it would do for a night's sleep.
WRONG!
The room next to us had an alarm that went off at midnight & it took us over 40 minutes to get the owner of the hotel out of bed to switch it off. He was surly to say the least. Although I wouldn't be happy about being woken up either his attitude when I finally did get him on the phone after ringing constantly for over 25 minutes was not good.He actually suggested I call the emergency services!!!!
I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2011

Beware! This guy is not what he first seems. I planned to stay for two weeks during my relocation to Burlington, but left after a week. The owner seems very nice at first, but then quickly changes attitude for no apparent reason, turning off the power for the AC, changing the key code , and not following through on service. If you pay in advance, be sure to get a receipt. I was happy to get out of there!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
7  Thank UJ60
Reviewed September 21, 2011

The owners are from Tibet and it shows. The rooms are clean and reasonably priced. Overall my stay was calming and peaceful. I've stayed in the Burlington area many times at many different places and have found this to be the best lodging around - period. It just happens to also be a great value.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
8  Thank idrules
Reviewed August 18, 2011

This wasn't as bad as some people have said. The owner was polite and professional when we arrived, around 10 p.m. The room was basic and appeared clean. The bath tub had some patchwork repair, and the carpets were worn One thing I did like was how dark the room was in the morning. No frills, nothing fancy... but I didn't expect that for $72. It was a bed, tv and shower for one night. Nothing more, nothing less. When we checked out at 9 the next morning, the owner asked if everything was OK, and seemed surprised when we said yes.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LisaW2727
Reviewed August 17, 2011

We checked in after 10pm after trying a couple of other expensive places that were full . We were greeted by the owner , who was very friendly to my young son and I . The soda machines didn't work and he suggested the gas station next door . Our room was clean and quiet . The next morning he was friendly again and thanked us for staying at his place . A very good budget place in a busy vacation area .

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Skwiki
Reviewed July 31, 2011

I am a single middle aged woman from Montreal, Canada, and have been a frequent guest at this cheap but OK motel in Burlington, going once or twice every summer since 5 to 6 years, despite the fact the GGT Tibet Inn Motel was never kept very clean and that I never trusted the state of the swimming pool . I never complained because fare was so low. Tibetan owner was OK before, but this year he has gone completely mad.

It is my opinion that the conditions have worsened since the last couple of years due to the state of mind of the owner, a Tibetan man who has been living in the US for about 20 years. His attitude and behaviour have been very rude this time.

Things started on a bad note last week, on July 27th. I had reserved 2 rooms 3 months ago: one (105) for myself and a girlfriend and another (104) for a couple of friends and their 2 year-old, on their first visit to the US. We arrived at 2:00 p.m. and patiently waited for him to do the check-in (wich is at 3:30, quite late for my taste). He had left the motel, putting a note at the front desk saying he was out with his cell phone number in case of emergency. I called him at 3:00, asking when he would return as the place seemed to be empty. He seemed confused on the phone and asked me to repeat myself consistently, as if he could not understand English. He said to ask the maid, and I found her on the second floor. She was unable to do the check in for us, as she had no access to front desk (?) but had a master key card so she let us in on 2 available rooms. When the owner arrived, at approximately 4:00 p.m., he asked us to go to the front desk right away to pay and seemed in a very bad mood. Obviously, he was mad at me because I had phoned him. He screamed at my girlfriend regarding the trash we had left close to the front desk (there was no garbage can around and we did not know what to do with it) and told her to close the bedroom door, while the A/C was on, or else HE WOULD THROW US OUT. One other thing: this guy is a total control freak (no wonder his wife left him lasty ear). He controls the mini fridge and the A/C from a distance and turns it on or off as he wishes.

This year, accomodations were worst than ever. The maid obviously only changes the bedsheets and empties the trah cans. She enver scrubs baths or showers It was filthiest. As our bath was filthy, we asked the Asian maid to clean it (it had obviously not been scrubbed and was in a terrible state) and she did it but reluctantly. My friends spoke to the owner about the horrible state of their shower floor (that was backened with dirt and blocked). The owner came to clean it and left it even dirtier than before.

My friends paid for only one night and found another motel the next day. As they checked out, around 11:15 am., they started to put their luggage in our room to respect the check out time, which I thought was 12:00. As he saw that, the owner rushed to our room and started to scream at us, that my friends could not stay with us and that I knew perfectly that check out time was 11:00 and that he would charge my friends for the extra hour. They left in a hurry. I felt so bad, and ashamed for that situation.

The owner then told us that we were trouble makers, has always been, ans told us to leave his property right away and that he would not reimburse us for the last night of our stay and that he was going to call the police.. As we were not impressed with his attitude and know our rights, we told him to call the police and that we would see and that he did not scare us one bit. He then gave us 15 minutes to pack up and leave. We did and he reluctantly reimbursed each of us with a debit amount on our credit card, all the while insulting us abouth being Canadians (?), single (?), bla bla bla. He was evidently out of his mind and in a state of mind close to histeria.

As we were putting our luggage and baggage inside the car trunk, he came out of the building and told us to leave his property right away, etc.

We left and ckecked into another motel, close to downtown Burlington, where front desk lady was polite and welcoming.

I respect all religions and usually get along fine with people from other countries, but the fact that he practices openly his Budhist religion (I heard his incantations in teh morning) does not mean that he applies its teachings in his daily life, since he has become agressive, verbally violent and has no respect for his loyal customers. I thought Buddhists were calm and reserved people. HI think he hates women, especially single ones, and is angry at the whole world. We were not the first cutsomers to get thrown out, without any reason. He is obviously mentally ill and needs help and should not continue in this line of work where you have to be courteous and polite.

READ THIS ADVISE: DO NOT EVER GO TO CGT TIBET INN MOTEL. THE OWNER IS SICK, IS A CONTROL FREAK AND HAS NO RESPECT FOR HIS CUSTOMERS. HE NEEDS HELP AND SHOULD SELL HIS BUSINESS.

BURLINGTON IS A NICE TOWN WITH VERY NICE PEOPLE, AND HAS PLENTLY OF SUITABLE MOTELS AND B&B'S TO ACCOMODATE YOU.

D. from Montreal

Room Tip: ROoms are filthy, as well as bathrooms. Please don't go there.